What's new

how to...

jersey devl

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
335
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
cleaning my first 1987 P coin...its a bit dull but I dont want to Freak it up by using polish...acetone?baking soda?boiling in alcohol?any help ...:)))))))))
 
Upvote 0
I have never tried this myself except with tarnished silver bars, etc., but I know that there are coin dip formulations that if used correctly can be fairly safe. I know one coin dealer that swears he lightly dips gold coins before he sends them to be graded and they have never come back in a "body bag", ie, ungraded due to being "cleaned". They come back with MS gradings he says.

I would not recommend dipping on a very rare or valuable coin though. I dont know how the non silver aspects of the half would react to the dip. You may wish to consult with your local coin dealer.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
I have never tried this myself except with tarnished silver bars, etc., but I know that there are coin dip formulations that if used correctly can be fairly safe. I know one coin dealer that swears he lightly dips gold coins before he sends them to be graded and they have never come back in a "body bag", ie, ungraded due to being "cleaned". They come back with MS gradings he says.

I would not recommend dipping on a very rare or valuable coin though. I dont know how the non silver aspects of the half would react to the dip. You may wish to consult with your local coin dealer.

Jim

Jim the dip for silver coins is not good for copper. It discolors the copper on the edge and clearly shows it has been dipped. as i have tried it and you would be able to pick it out in a stack....

Check out the Cleaning & Preservation threads here on Tnet.
Mojo
 
Mojo,


Thanks for the tip. Since copper makes up a large part of the 87 coin jersey devil was talking about, looks like the dip is a no go for that idea.


Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom