What's new

How would you clean this button?

Newt

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2007
Messages
1,222
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
It's a recent find and I think it's a good one. Found in Ga. on a wagon trail. It says horstman on the back.
Thanks
Newt
 

Attachments

  • 125-2533_IMG.webp
    125-2533_IMG.webp
    69.1 KB · Views: 336
Can't be of any help as far as cleaning, but it does definitely appear to be a Georgia Militia button. Nice find!
 
Here is a product you may want to try? It's aluminum jelly.

Many relic hunters use this for cleaning military buttons to bring out any gilt that remains.

Here is a link:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/repairs.asp?qfid=5&Product=170

It's available at most ACE hardware stores for $4 - 5.

I have one almost exactly like this. The back of mine was gone but no benchmark. Also no gilting left due to the acidic soil here in Georgia. Here is a picture of mine cleaned up.

Jeff
 

Attachments

  • GA Button.webp
    GA Button.webp
    49.7 KB · Views: 324
Thanks for the advice Jeff. I'll have to give it a try.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom