What's new

HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!! UPDATE!

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
2,005
Reaction score
42
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I found this huge old fashioned water/coin jar at an antique shop today. ITS HUGE! It was only 8 bucks wich is a great deal. I have already started filling it with coins from my pocket change. In a year when its full (if it is) it can hold thousands of dollars in change. Wish me luck! Thanks for looking!

Its about 0.001% full (10 dollars worth inside already) for those wishing to keep track... ;D

-CC


(Note the size compared to an apple)
 

Attachments

  • DSCF2518.webp
    DSCF2518.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 2,819
  • DSCF2519.webp
    DSCF2519.webp
    25 KB · Views: 2,842
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

you go boy maybe you will catch up someday
 

Attachments

  • md 002.webp
    md 002.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 2,457
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

I helped a buddy move about 3 months ago & he had a big green jug similar to yours CC. He kept change in it too, said he thought it was an antique sparklets bottle.He's had for 20-30 years & loved it! I was carying it into the house on my shoulder & it hit the top of a door frame & broke (Im just too damned tall) he said it was OK, an accident & I felt soooooo bad. Ive looked everywhere for a replacement, ebay, local antique shops, etc. If ANYBODY has an idea where I can find something like this please let me know, Id be willing to pay a real good price for it!
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

LoL you certainly were not kidding that is a bugger of a jar. I have to agree filled up one would have to roll it on its side to empty it.

Hope you can fill it up as you wish.

Postalrevnant
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

Nice find ! BUT,did you go BEEP - BEEP when you found it ? I've got a plastic "Coke" bottle,24 inches tall,and 22 inch's at the base. This one is just for pennies,last time I put it on the scales,it weighed 34 pounds ;D I think I started this one about 3 years ago. How many pennies in a pound ???
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

Cool jar, will take a few coins to fill that, I have a Pringles chips can, LOL! HH, Mike
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

Thanks everyone!

Il take some picks when it starts filling up more... maybe il cover the bottom in a few days...lol

-CC
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

That is a cool old jar, like the others said just be careful about filling it up because the weight of all those coins could bust it.
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

Thanks for the PM's guys, These are called carboys & are used for wine making, I found 3 on ebay that are exactly like the one I broke. Thanks to the PM's I will be able to replace my buddies jar that I broke! Battlecat...........I havent forgoten, you know what Im talkin bout! ;)
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

Pretty cool looking jar. Yep I save my change for a year then buy something new. This year hoping for a nice new grill. Good luck, and congrates on your great find.

Ken
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

;D Cool: Got an idea! Let us know when it's full & we'll have a contest! Whoever guesses how much is in it, wins the whole thing!

Sound good to you? 8)

Joe
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

I want one! You said you found it in an antique shop? I will have to look for one. Were they manufactured specifically to store coins or were they used for water or something else first?
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

First off it's a bottle not a jar. Second I have to agree with those who have said it will become fragile when full. I used to keep change and mardi gras tokens in one, until it broke when no one was home. The plastic ( more modern ) ones don't look half as neat but they are safer. keep hunting!! Stan...
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

THANKS! Yes, i believe that some were used as old fashioned water holders before plastic. Some of them are antiques and can be worth some money if kept in good condition. When its full everyone can make a guess at home much $ is in it, it will cost a dollar to guess and the person who comes closest (automatic winner) will win some silver! Hows that sound? It probably wont be full for a couple years so dont get to excited. Thanks for the replies!

-CC
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

That's a great jar CC!

:)
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

Coolcash, be careful with that bottle. I used one like that one time to save coins in. I had it nearly 1/3 full and went to pick it up and the bottom broke out from the weight. One of the big plastic ones would be better to use for change. Just my 2 cents worth.

Huntin' 59er
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

Thanks nana and Hunter!

I have seen the plastic ones but i think that the old glass ones like i have are much neater. I dont plan on filling it up all the way, im gonna let it go for about a year and then dump it out. That way it wont get more than 1/4 -1/3 full. Thanks for the advice, im gonna place it on a cushion and when its empty il just tip it over slowely. That way it should stay intact.

THANKS EVERYONE!

-CC
 
Its in a safe new location now and filling up!

-CC
 
I had one of those modern water bottles I was filling with pennys. Got about half way and it cracked... Something to think about...
 
The glass is about 3/4 of an inch thick so it should be pretty sturdy as it fills up. I wont fill it up beyond about 1/4 - 1/3 full so it wont break. Il empty it every year or few months.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES EVERYONE!


-CC
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

Marty-Graw said:
dont forget thet when it gets about half full it will be VERY fragile... we had one when i was a kid was about half full and it got a very slight bump one day.... glass and coins were all over the floor..... DO NOT try to pick it up or move it (especially tilting it over) after it gets half or more full...... better put it in its permanent location now..... good luck getting it full

Marty

I had a regular Ozarka bottle for a in home dispenser and when it got about 1/4 full of pennys it cracked and I don't know how.. Don't think I bumped it but it's possible I did but didn't know it..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom