What's new

HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!! UPDATE!

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
2,005
Reaction score
42
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I found this huge old fashioned water/coin jar at an antique shop today. ITS HUGE! It was only 8 bucks wich is a great deal. I have already started filling it with coins from my pocket change. In a year when its full (if it is) it can hold thousands of dollars in change. Wish me luck! Thanks for looking!

Its about 0.001% full (10 dollars worth inside already) for those wishing to keep track... ;D

-CC


(Note the size compared to an apple)
 

Attachments

  • DSCF2518.webp
    DSCF2518.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 2,819
  • DSCF2519.webp
    DSCF2519.webp
    25 KB · Views: 2,842
Upvote 0
here's my glass one.been saving for 3 years now.qtrs,dimes,nickels and penny's all pocket change i put in there daily.no dug coins at all.pretty sure it's a 5 gallon capacity.i just picked mine up last week.and lowered it to floor.tipped it sideways and got 5 bucks out :tongue3:
 

Attachments

  • MY MONEY JUG 001 [].webp
    MY MONEY JUG 001 [].webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 4,762
  • MY MONEY JUG 002 [].webp
    MY MONEY JUG 002 [].webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,762
My jugs plastic and you may all recognize it as something you've seen around Christmas time they come with popcorn in them. Some may see it as the beer bottle they've always dreamed of. Anyway the diameter of it is about 6in and all I have in it is pennies and it is very heavy.
 

Attachments

  • Pennies.webp
    Pennies.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,389
Tested said:
My jugs plastic and you may all recognize it as something you've seen around Christmas time they come with popcorn in them. Some may see it as the beer bottle they've always dreamed of. Anyway the diameter of it is about 6in and all I have in it is pennies and it is very heavy.
A friend of mine had a big glass bottle he was putting coins in and one day he dropped a couple coins in and the side of the bottle blew out. It was a nice old bottle. Go for a plastic water bottle to be safe!
 
Figure out where you want it to stay because if you try to move it once it is half full or so the bottom will break because of the weight. A buddy had one about 3/4 and when he tilted it just a little.. the bottom dropped off! I filled mine with corks! ;-)

MB
 
I bought one at Garden Ridge that is 6.5 gallon. I think it was $8-10 as well.

I use it for homebrewing....but might be a way to save for a new Excalibur. HMMM
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

papa said:
Nice find ! BUT,did you go BEEP - BEEP when you found it ? I've got a plastic "Coke" bottle,24 inches tall,and 22 inch's at the base. This one is just for pennies,last time I put it on the scales,it weighed 34 pounds ;D I think I started this one about 3 years ago. How many pennies in a pound ???
Very cool. As far as how many pennies to a pound it depends on whether they are copper or zinc. I've been saving the pre-82 copper pennies for awhile now and I keep lots of exactly 5lbs in ziplock bags. 5lbs is 735 pennies. You are separating out the copper pennies aren't you ? Scrap metal value as of today is 2.99 cents for each pre 1982 penny. At the moment it's still illegal to melt them but that could change and people are already selling them on Ebay for more than face value.
 
I put all of my 1982 an older pennies except the wheaties in a old metal milk can. So I don't think I will have to worry about it breaking. But it may be a B____ to move it when it is full......Matt
 
i would not use it for coins. it will break from the weight of the coins and break from the bottom.i've seen it a couple other times and one a guy cut his leg pretty bad from lifting it when full :(. does it have any lettering on the bottom?
 
be careful with it! coins weigh substantially more than water and these things have been known to shatter when filled with coins at the slightest provocation
 
Re: HUGE COIN JAR FOUND!!!

Huntin' 59er said:
Coolcash, be careful with that bottle. I used one like that one time to save coins in. I had it nearly 1/3 full and went to pick it up and the bottom broke out from the weight. One of the big plastic ones would be better to use for change. Just my 2 cents worth.

Huntin' 59er

This is exactly what happened to mine.
Bottom fell out as I was lifting it to move it and the sharp edge landed on my bare foot and nearly cut my dang toe off!!......Be very careful!!... :occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom