HUGE hunk of raw copper...help identifying origin

jrh4

Tenderfoot
Jun 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, so my buddy and I just picked up this giant hunk of raw copper. It weighs around 30 lbs and it's super cool looking, unlike anything I've ever seen. Unfortunately, the previous owner didn't have much of a backstory on it though. All I know is it's from the US. In my research I've found similar specimens (albeit smaller) that came from AZ. So has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I'd love to hear your thoughts....thanks!

copper goliath 1.jpg copper goliath 2.jpg copper goliath 3.jpg copper goliath 7.jpg copper goliath 4.jpg

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Looks like someone burned a bunch of wiring....IDK:dontknow:

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agree with the burnt copper wire, the white residue from the impurities remain on the underneath area. Either it was from a large fire or somebody doing the dirty deed of recovery from insulated wire.
Makes for some cool art though, I have a pieces of welding cable that were made into a Bonsai tree.
20210727_070121.jpg
20210727_070046.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jrh4 - You may be aware that large native copper nuggets are found in Michigan; a search for "Michigan copper nuggets" will produce hundreds of images of nuggets found there. But - those images don't look like your pictures of what you have, at least not to me.
Just based on that visual comparison of pictures I'd agree with others who have suggested that your copper hunk is from some other source (not a native nugget).

It still looks cool!

- Brian

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thee is at least one mine in AZ. that uses Michigan samples to show visitors.
Az. copper is pretty much dust. The processing of it interesting...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jrh4

Tenderfoot
Jun 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool bonsai pepperj! thanks for the feedback everyone. that all makes total sense. cheers!

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Based on the images provided, I think Clay is most likely correct.

Having found many examples of native copper, color and texture are wrong. At least in my experience. While color is similar to burned copper plate, again, texture is not quite what I would expect.

I would lean in the direction of an over pour, rather than dross, although a physical examination could easily change my mind. Dross should show more impurities than what appears.

As far as remains of a mass of burned wire or cable, too many things wrong visually. to achieve temperatures high enough to burn off all carbon, the copper would be left extremely brittle, leaving one to expect broken surfaces on your piece.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread