What's new

HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

I got out for a short hunt today in the yard of a homestead built in 1870's. I found this huge nut, which is about the size of a tangerine. It is threaded on the inside. Any ideas on what it could have been used?

The pipe looks to be a hashes pipe left over from the 1960's. It is marked LEE. The Barber dime is dated 1898, but I want to make a separate post about it.

Thanks in advance, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • LargeNut1.webp
    LargeNut1.webp
    50.3 KB · Views: 654
  • LargeNut2.webp
    LargeNut2.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 647
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

I've dug those big nuts before too Breezy. The only pupose they serve is to make you sit there and wonder what they were used for. :laughing7: Really I don't know what they were for. The "pipe" is actually a red brass male/female elbow for a water or gas line. Lots of time brass couplings and elbows are used with copper pipe.
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

Spooky said:
vayank54 said:
I've dug those big nuts before too Breezy.

o rly, Larry?

:laughing7:

YOU bad boy; where's my riding crop! LOL
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

Id call the elbow thingy a street elbow. Don't know if thats the correct termonology for it or not though.
The big bolt could be part of an old steam engine, or pumping unit.?
Black-90-Street-Ell.gif
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

Oh boy the riding crop :laughing7: :laughing7: Bring it on :thumbsup: :laughing7:
Gunny I know the larger (2"+ )plastic PVC elbows like that are called street 90's but am not sure about the smaller metal ones.
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

Those are called street elbows as well. Can find that style in Black Pipe, Galvanized , and Bronze mostly.

http://www.lwws.com/bronze-iron-pipe-fittings/

That large nut may have been used in boilers, cranes, very large construction equipment, structural steel or tower anchor bolts, etc.
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

Some of my larger antique engines have huge head nuts. So do the some wagons. The pipe fitting is a street 'L'. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

Thanks gang for the scoop. I was thinking these joints were also used for 'mammy made' hash pipes during the ole hippie days.

The homestead is located very close to a railroad track in a residential area so I don't think cranes, very large construction equipment, structural steel or tower bolts would be in that area. Could it have been used on a train?

At any rate, I'm going to green check this one since we do know what they are, but not exactly sure on what they were used.

Thanks again for the help and post. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

Hmmm... :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • Fishplate_on_Bluebell_Railway.webp
    Fishplate_on_Bluebell_Railway.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 507
  • rail bolt.webp
    rail bolt.webp
    90 KB · Views: 519
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

Kudos Lucas! :thumbsup: I would say the railroad track is just about 'throwing distance' to where I dug it. Thanks, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

And so Breezie might we ask how you have come to know so much about mammy made hash pipes?????? :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

vayank54 said:
And so Breezie might we ask how you have come to know so much about mammy made hash pipes?????? :laughing7: :laughing7:

Weeeeeell, back in college just about 1 out of 5 people had one. It was not my cup of tea because I was more into the sorority scene. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

Ok I just wanted to make sure everything got out in the open. :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

vayank54 said:
Ok I just wanted to make sure everything got out in the open. :laughing7:

LOL . . or was this payback for my swingin' comment about YOU? :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

Oh no my dear the payback hasn't come yet :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

vayank54 said:
Oh no my dear the payback hasn't come yet :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Bring it! :icon_pirat:
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

I've been thinking. I'm going to have mercy and let you slide this time. Actually I remember the pics of you doing the martial arts stuff and I'm not ready to die yet. :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

When i read the post i thought you meant Woodstock the concert 1969 i was going to say HEY!! thats my pipe i lost Good finds :thumbsup: ;D Dd60
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

Breezie said:
vayank54 said:
I've been thinking. I'm going to have mercy and let you slide this time. Actually I remember the pics of you doing the martial arts stuff and I'm not ready to die yet. :laughing7:

Thanks VaYank for letting me slide. Shhhhhhh, you don't want to let everyone know I have 2 Black Belts. There's something really special about kickin' butt in full make-up and fingernail polish! LOL :laughing7:
You're welcome. Only 2???I thought you had more than that. I'm not so afraid anymore. ha ha ha Ok I won't tell you ONLY HAVE 2 BLACK BELTS :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Re: HUGE nut & something left over from Woodstock

vayank54 said:
Breezie said:
vayank54 said:
I've been thinking. I'm going to have mercy and let you slide this time. Actually I remember the pics of you doing the martial arts stuff and I'm not ready to die yet. :laughing7:

Thanks VaYank for letting me slide. Shhhhhhh, you don't want to let everyone know I have 2 Black Belts. There's something really special about kickin' butt in full make-up and fingernail polish! LOL :laughing7:
You're welcome. Only 2???I thought you had more than that. I'm not so afraid anymore. ha ha ha Ok I won't tell you ONLY HAVE 2 BLACK BELTS :laughing7:
Larry you didn't tell me you were a comedian too...Buttons, plates, riding crops, jokes..... man you need to publish a book... :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom