What's new

Huge Spearhead ID help needed!

ColonialDude

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Messages
693
Reaction score
269
Golden Thread
0
Location
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks,

So I picked this up today from a woman who found this 25 years ago in central Alberta. It's obviously made of some type of quartzite. Some minor damage near the tip (hard to tell if the damage isancient or modern due to material)...but otherwise a very nice piece! This thing is massive! Not overly huge lengthwise but it's an awfully wide point. I found some similar point types online from this area with the concave base but all are typically small points.

I'm guessing it's archaic period.

Can anyone help me out with an ID?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_6377.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6378.webp
    IMG_6378.webp
    43.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Need picture..
 
Sorry about that. Pics didn't attach from my phone apparently. For reference the point is 4" long and 2 3/8" wide.
 
Looks late Archaic brewerton ear notched... IMO. Def a big one never seen one that big so I could be wrong.
 
I am south of you and I found one similar and in size (Computer will not upload) , and I would say your point is an Oxbow variant.
 
I' would be more inclined to type that one a Lookingbill, or simply a plains knife.

The base is similar to oxbow and a few other sidenotched upper plains types, but I've never seen an Oxbow near that large.
 
Thats a biggie for sure. The material does look like quartzite to feldspar type. Cant believe I spelled the feldspar correct :)
Nice one
 
Thanks for the reply and opinion. I looked at that but thought this point was too large to fall into that group.

I am south of you and I found one similar and in size (Computer will not upload) , and I would say your point is an Oxbow variant.
 
thanks for your input. I'm familiar with the Brewerton side and corner notched varieties and have quite a few as I spent most of my years collecting in Ontario. It definitely looks very similar...that said I don't think the Brewerton varieties stretch this far west?

Sorry about that. Pics didn't attach from my phone apparently. For reference the point is 4" long and 2 3/8" wide.
 
Thanks very much for this! Was not familiar with this type but looking it up online it sure looks to be a match. Definitely works better in terms of size and style. Much appreciated!

I' would be more inclined to type that one a Lookingbill, or simply a plains knife.

The base is similar to oxbow and a few other sidenotched upper plains types, but I've never seen an Oxbow near that large.
 
Oddly every point I've acquired out here is of a similar material. I know there are many other materials (some much nicer) out here but I've yet to come across any.

Thats a biggie for sure. The material does look like quartzite to feldspar type. Cant believe I spelled the feldspar correct :)
Nice one
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom