Huge stone circle in marsh???? Civil War?

mebesaturday

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this while researching maps for Civil War forts. It is located on an island with no road access about 1/4 mile to the ocean near a small river inlet. It looks like it measures about 100ft across with the stones twice the size of a refridgerator (using google maps scale and estimation). A few people have said its an old light house but I found no record of one and an engineer said it would be a 4-500 foot light house :) and if you wondering no I wont pin point the location but I will say it is on the S.E. Coast near G.A./S.C.. Thanks for your help.
stonecircle.jpg

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Weird! I have found some things that look like an old salt drying area. If you look at the North side of the river going into Savannah, just inside of Tybee Island, Jones island, you will see some round areas. Looks like a salt drying area.???? If not, I have no clue. Both will need to have someone go and find out. Especially the one you found.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
old light house --salt works area -- gun emplacement - many possible things

OP
OP
M

mebesaturday

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
old light house --salt works area -- gun emplacement - many possible things

not a light house too big

Salt works area (very damp location)???

Gun emplacement (most likely)

OP
OP
M

mebesaturday

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
Weird! I have found some things that look like an old salt drying area. If you look at the North side of the river going into Savannah, just inside of Tybee Island, Jones island, you will see some round areas. Looks like a salt drying area.???? If not, I have no clue. Both will need to have someone go and find out. Especially the one you found.

Quite a trip in my small kayak.... might be a overnight trip. I did find one map that showed a multiple cannon "fort" around this area (map was hand drawn 1770's) but all other small "forts" were earthen and logs. ??? I sent this off to some Civil War guys, we shal see what they say.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Most likely Celt in origin. Quite a few areas on the east coast have sites such at that. Look up Gungywamp, in connecticut, mystery hill in new hampshire. I doubt soldiers would take or could take the time to cut stone for a gun emplacement. Theres hundreds of sites in new england said to be of celt origin. Theres even a small version of stonehenge in Lowell massachusetts.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Having been in that area, it is all swampy and low, and muddy. I dont know how anyone could have taken stone blocks, from who knows where, and put them there. Maybe from a boat, but this doesnt look like a boat could get close. Obviously civil war forts were built in this area, but they were right on a river, or dry land. Some were built in the swamp, but water access was there. Usually with bricks and or cut limestone or coquina. Blocks as big as you state would weigh many tons.

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Pulse Star 2, "Cachefinder" LRL, GPL
Although ancients from the European continent never populated North America to any extent and eventually gave way to the American Indians, there is decent evidence that they were here in small numbers. If this dates far enough back, that area may have not been swamp land at that time.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else notice the 2 round depressions to the right ??? foundations ?, trash pits ????? Very cool looking spot, Congrats !! HH

cchunter

Feb 28, 2009
Brewster, Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like crop circles!! Bet its alien!! Get out there and check it out!! Just don't get probed!!

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
It amazes me to know end how much stuff is being located with sat maps. I have minimal experience with sat maps and identifying arch remains but I noticed a couple things. The photo is taken during a sunny day. That helps with identifying shading, etc. Because of this, it looks like most of the stones or whatever they are are submerged. I thought at first they may be covered with vegetation but their edges are too sharp. So when you go look for this, you will only see the objects that are brilliant white in the photo.
I will also add that the two circles previously mentioned are interesting but not likely for the reasons posted. If you look closely, they are not depressions. They are vegetated with woody plants, exactly like the areas adjacent to the outflow channels (the streams) which should be open water. It would be my guess that the circles are raised humps of soil. That does not necessarily mean they were man-made but worth checking out if the large stone circle is found to be prehistorical.
I agree that the objects making the large circle appear to be stone and not man-made objects like appliances, etc. The "stones" are irregular and have what appear to be irregular (not smooth) sides. If the "stones" are twice the size of a refrigerator, then the displacement of some of them from the circle is also curious. Four reasons I am familiar with could do that- an explosion from within, the collapse of a larger superstructure (like a lighthouse) from above, slumping of the earth on the outside of the blocks causing them to roll, or frost heaving. I doubt frost heaving since they are large and on a relatively level plane. I doubt the superstructure method since you would see more debris. An explosion is a possibility. And the slumping too because I know nothing about the long-term (hundreds or thousands of years) natural forces at work in a marsh or swamp.
There are two other things to consider. IF this is prehistorical, you would be looking at 9,000 years ago plus for a date because during the last major glacial advance the ocean level dropped 400 feet worldwide on average at glacial maximum. I am guessing at about 8-9,000 years ago this area would be wet if not flooded again so the transportation of blocks to the site would be difficult at best. And why would you build on a wet site anyway? I am assuming that your island is relatively flat from the shore to this location. The other thing is where would these blocks come from? They look like limestone to me. So to find a likely source would be helpful in any analysis.
I also am curious about the open area in the circle. There do not appear to be any stones there at all unless they are deeply sunk and buried. That would indicate to me a possibility that the open area was an entrance. No big deal interpreting that little nugget but it does, in turn, indicate something else- that the earth around the base of the stones was the level ground at the time of use. In other words, these were not buried foundation stones. So, if you find there are no more stones underneath these ones, this could not have been any kind of large structure.
I guess no matter what it turns out to be, it is obviously done by humans. So get a feel for the location relative to the larger geographical area and start asking yourself why here? No matter what it was, why would someone build a tower, bunker, artillery placement, solar or lunar observation site, or 7-11 here? Getting an idea of why may help you interpret possibilities for the site. Good luck and have fun!! If you want further assistance, I would be happy to take a look at the GPS coordinates or larger area sat photos and talk with you. I live in Wisconsin so I would not be claim jumping nor do I know anyone down there who could anyway. ;D

salvage diver

Feb 11, 2012
Montgomery, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites-DFX & Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe most of the people on this site especially charter members are honest and would offer to help just to see someone find something super cool and certianlly NOT to claim jump.

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
I agree. But because I am not a charter member yet (soon), I just wanted to make that clear to folks who are suspicious. Based on some of the public and private responses I have received in the last year, it is apparent to me that there are far more suspicious and untrusting folks on here than I would have EVER suspected. Unfortunate, but true. I am on here to learn and repay with offering my assistance when I can and try to have a little fun while doing it. Thats all :icon_thumleft:

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you looked at it using historical imagery? To see what it looks/looked like in previous years? Summer winter, ect?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this might sound far out there but I am from south florida where alligator hunting is big. I have seen similar things done in the middle of the swamp with road construction sand barriers. guys would form a large circle with only 1 or 2 entrance exits. bait the area real well then come back in a couple of days close the far exit and shoot alligators like fish in a barrel. I don't know if there's alligators where you are there but it maybe some form of hunting. just a thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions