humm where was (dutch) pieter itas watering area in florida in 1627 /28 ?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
humm where was (dutch) pieter ita's watering area in florida in 1627 /28 ?

in bob marx book about piet hyen* --he speaks of dutch admiral ita taking of the 3 honduran treasure fleetgalleons and that ita's vessel was demasted and one of the two spanish treasure galleons* taken as a "prizes" was also badly damaged in the battle and that ita retired towards florida for repairs ---marx also speaks of piet hyen also stopping in flordia to water --

look up "pieter ita" -- under wikipedia *

* the vessel was NUESTRA SENORA DE LOS REMEDIOS (the other ST JAGO was so badly damaged its treasure was stripped off it and it was burnt on the spot)-- afterwards ita retired to florida --- to water up for the return voyage and repairHIS damaged vessel --- however the NUESTRA SENORA DE LOS REMEDIOS was taking water badly --so he stripped what treasure he could and placed it upon his much smaller dutch vessels and on august 15 ,1628 --1 mile off the florida coast he set fire to the spanish vessel ****( now the BIG QUESTION IS THIS was he able to take all the booty onboard his vessels? since they already had the other treasure galleon ST JAGO load of booty aboard them) DID HE MAKE HIS WATERING / REPAIR POINT AND BURY ANY EXCESS TREASURE ON SHORE OR DID HE HAVE TO SEND IT TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA ? --

the cocoa beach area has many natural fresh water springs and as such was an ideal spot both to water and lurk waiting for spanish treasure ships on their way homebound to ambush. ( since the spanish navigators used the cape as a "dead reckoning" landmark to know it was time to start their eastward tack to go back home) :wink:

there some old rumors / reports of 13 chained together buried chest of loot found in the cocoa beach area --long ago by road crews*( I have never been able to track those stories down fully sadly however )

when the spanish and dutch fought the smaller dutch vessels upon winning often found they could not "pack" all the money found on the larger damaged spanish vessels -- in some cases the "excess" was simply dumped over the side or sent to the bottom on a burning vessel -- while it would not help holland in their fight for freedom against spain --every coin lost was "damage done" to spain -- spain did not want the dutch to get any of "their" funds --the spanish capts were told if the vessel seemed about to be lost to set fire to it before abandoning it --to deprive the dutch of assets to fund their fight with. --- now what if a dutch raider brought a badly damaged spanish vessel (beyond their repair abilities to make the rough sea voyage home ) to cocoa and stripped what treasure they could and burnt the vessel-- they would have to "stash" any excess treasure to be reclaimed later-- maybe thats where those chest came from. :wink:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: humm where was the dutch watering area in florida in 1627 /28 ?

The Dutch vessel "Endracht" ran aground while searching for fresh water so Piet Heyn transfered his men and supplies to the "San Juan Bautista" and burned the Endracht at San Carlos Bay near FT. Myers. Carl Fizmer found the wreck and got a permit to excavate. http://www.divefortreasure.com/treasure/eendracht/dutchwarship.htm.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

thanks scuba humm ft meyers area huh--- that was in 1624 and it says say janzoon was capt of that vessel but very interesting none the less --- little is known or spoken of the packs of dutch "pirating" vessels that hit the spanish treasure fleets on a regular basis and they gobbled up any stray spanish merchant shiops they ran across as well. -- they had to have watering and food supply spots in the florida area. --thanks scuba.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

Very interesting topic Ivan. If you run across some watering hole references for the north central gulf from 1562-1698 please let me know.

Pcola

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I believe he stopped at the Fontainebleau Hotel on Miami Beach. :D

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

There is an area off the east coast of Florida, in the Cape/Cocoa area I believe, where fresh water bubbled to the surface of the ocean from a spring. This was clearly visible on the surface on calm days. The Spanish would "water" their ships here.

I don't have access to my research files right now but I think Fisheye may have some more information about this location.

Goldminer

Apr 28, 2006
Las Vegas, Nv

Fresh water springs were also in the Biscayne Bay area, especially near what is now called Cutler.

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various

Goldminer said:
Fresh water springs were also in the Biscayne Bay area, especially near what is now called Cutler.

The Biscayne aquifer runs under southeast Miami from Coral Gables to Cutler ridge. I think you can still see where the early ships took water on Key Biscayne. Although the spring appears to be dry now you can still see the depression which lies somewhere around 50 yds from the Cape Florida lighthouse. I was able to find it a few years ago. There was another watering hole up the Miami river and across from Key Biscayne in what I think is now called Coconut Grove. You can see Key Biscayne from that one. I've read of others in the keys used for watering, although not specifically Dutch.

For general information on Florida springs, some of which may have provided water for the early explorers, take a look at http://www.floridasprings.net/springlisting.html

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: humm where was (dutch) pieter ita's watering area in florida in 1627 /28 ?

FRESH WATER SPRINGS -- some ships used to fill their casks from springs that were located 200 yards S. of the Rickenbacker Causeway tollbooths along the shore-line. This was a popular gathering spot in the early 1900's too. Unfortunately, construction has changed the shore-line, but many interesting relics can be found by diving or snorkeling the water offshore of this area. I also suspect that soldiers from Soldier Key (1830's era) visited this location often to gather water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread