Humminbird Sonar Data File Converter - Download! *** NEW RELEASE ***

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Well, Here it is! The following link is to the HBSI Sonar Data File Converter Windows Installer download. The program will convert the Humminbird Sonar Files to different Sonar File Formats that can be played back on the PC with the corresponding viewer.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=16.0

This release is 1.01 and includes the YellowFin .872 Converter and the Deep Vision Technologies .dvs Converter. You can download the Viewers at the following links.

YellowFin109c_Installation.zip

Deep Vision Technologies - Deep View FV

The YellowFin Viewer is by far a more capable Freeware player and offers the option to save the .872 File over to XTF Format. Deep Vision offers more capable Viewers on their site, but they are not Free. They do offer the DeepView SE that will do playback and mosaic.

There is a help file with the program and links to the downloads above as well. If you have any problems with the install or any questions, please use this post as a support forum. We would like to hear feedback on the Unit you use, the software version, and the file sizes you have successfully converted. So far, we know it works on the 987 with ver. 3.740, the 997 with ver. 3.63, and has successfully converted up to a 428Mb file. It should work fine on the other units as well, but would like to confirm this.

As new versions and updates become available, they will be posted on the support forum at http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=16.0

Future update should include direct conversion to .XTF Format as well.

Thanks,

Robert Gecy

Attachments

• 872-Converter.jpg
    872-Converter.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 7,638
  • screen-shot-YF.jpg
    screen-shot-YF.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 8,073
  • Screen-Shot-Deep-View-FV.jpg
    Screen-Shot-Deep-View-FV.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 9,600

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Re: Humminbird Sonar Data File Converter and Playback Software - Download!

excellent.gif

Robert you are the man!!! I'll give her a try tonight.

Many thanks,

Scott

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine

Hey Robert...

Like pcolaboy said, "You Are The Man!!" BooYaah.... :D

Now if I can just finish the work on my boat, install the 997C and start playing with it... I can't wait. I might just have to take that trip down to see you so I can get a tutorial on the use of the 997C and the conversion use/playback software... ;)

Thanks for all the you do for us novices,

Wayne

Attachments

• Pics from old pc 086.jpg
    Pics from old pc 086.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 7,050
  • Pics from old pc 086.jpg
    Pics from old pc 086.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 6,998

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HOLY COW!! I want one! How much is the hardware?

OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

Wayne,

I am sure you have few more dives in than me and probably better technical skills! So when it comes to novices, I would have to stand up! I am just a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None!"

Signumops, as for the Humminbird Units, they start out at $1000 for 797 and go up to $2000 for 997. They will also be coming out with an 1197 in the spring, with a 10.5" screen, for around $3000.

Check out the models and differences here: http://www.sideimaging.com/

The 797 will do exactly what the bigger models will do, but the screen is small! So for $1k, you could have a pretty decent side scan, and use the free playback software to review the scans.

Robert

cliffscot

Oct 19, 2007
Bimini, Bahamas & Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8-x, Garrett Sea Hunter

Lake Lanier, GA... cold, nasty, 2ft visiblity..... LOTS of standing trees in the bottom of the lake.

The boat is lying upside down in the right in the top image... alittle hard to see

the prize... Elinemator GO FAST BOAT!!!!! Lots of high performance goodies..

Hummingbird images....

Attachments

• small07.jpg
    small07.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 6,999
  • small02.jpg
    small02.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 7,021

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt

Robert,
Am about ready to buy one of the Humminbird units. Have been to the website and have been unable to find any information concerning the mounting of the transducer. Can you provide some clarification on this?

Thanks,
Mike

OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

Hey Mike,

The transducer performs best where there is the least amount of turbulence and airflow coming from under the hull.

What type of boat do you have? Outboard, Inboard, I/O, flat bottom, V hull, etc.

Can you get a picture of the stern?

Robert

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt

Hi Robert,
I am using a couple of different boats at the moment. Both are single screw inboards. You gave me the answer that I was looking for though, you asked about a picture of the stern. So that tells me that it's externally mounted. Now I need to build a portable mount that I can move from vessel to vessel.

Thanks much!
Mike

OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

Mike I have wanted to build something similar. I have seen one over on the Unofficial Humminbird forum www.sideimageforums.com that a guy built for just the same reason. I want one that will mount and can be lowered below the hull a little deeper to get better images. The turbulence from a deep v hull will interfere with the image.

Robert

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt

Robert,
Since the boats that I am using here are wooden hulls (1-1/2 inch hull at that!) with 3-foot freeboards, I already have a design in mind for mounting the transducer on the outboard side of the boat using a 1-3/4 inch galvanized pipe about 6-feet long with a ratcheted web sling attached to the top, run over to the other side of the boat and underneath the boat to attach to the galvanized pipe just below the half-way point. At low speed I don't see a problem with the attachments. Keeping the transducer outboard will reduce the amount of turbulence from the deep-V hull somewhat (especially at slower speeds), but may be a problem in anything other than flat calm seas due to the roll of the boat. The only other flaw that I see by doing this is that the canvas strap that is run underneath the boat is aft of the propeller, which will cause vibration. However, a "run and drift" strategy may offset this problem. (i.e. move forward with the propeller and then stop it and drift). I am not new to sonar technology as I have worked with it for years with both the US and Egyptian militaries, just have to adapt the Humminbird to what I have available here. As they say: Necessity is the mother of all invention. Am ordering a 997C today or tomorrow and will play with it when I get it.

How does the Humminbird perform in shallow water? (less than 60 feet) This is where I plan on doing most of my searching in the near future.

Mike

Cablava

May 24, 2005

If you mount the transducer on a long pole we anchored to the boat (we are talking a serious pole here with a ratchet winch to lower it and recover it.) and get it down below the prop vortex, essentially in clear water then you will get a good image, the thing to watch are roll as it will be extenuated at the end of the pole, also speed vibration on the pole, unless you have a waterdynamic pole then it will vibrate and distort the image, so you will need to slow down to get a good image. (do not forget to lift it up for shallow water). We used a similar arrangement for tracking ROV's in shallow water, get the transducer below the hull of the ship so we get a good 360 degree shot at the return from the ROV. (saves running over it all the time, and having to fix it up every shift).

Another way is to make a fish and tow it behind, and deeper then the prop wash or at least a fair bit behind it.

A bit of imaginative thinking and you will have a rather ugly but functional new part to your boat.

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt

Cablava (Mike),
I deal with "rather ugly" all the time here in adapting things to what the Egyptians believe is "Normal" here. Have to be able to adapt.....that's the trick here in Egypt (as I'm it's like in many places the world over). Will test, play, modify, re-test, re-modify, and eventually get everything working correctly.

Mike

Cablava

May 24, 2005

Mike

I lived in the Middle East for 20 years I know all about it.

Regards

Mike

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006

Robert,

Im a little behind the times. Your images are just as good as the side scan images I use to get with my Marine Sonic Sea Scan Pc side Scan Sonar. I am very impressed. How expensive is the hummingbird unit? I have a 40' down east style dive boat. The boat has a full keel. Do you thin the hummingbird would work well on this type of hull or do you think the scan would be blocked in one direction by the keel. What depth have you been able to use the hummingbird while still getting good images?

Sorry for all the questions but like I said was very impressed by your images!

Thanks in advance
Capt. Dan Berg
www.aquaexplorers.com

Attachments

• wreckvalleycharterboat.jpg
    wreckvalleycharterboat.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 6,672
OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

The Humminbird 997 will set you back just under $2k and the 1197 with the 10.5" screen will set back about $2800.

As far as the depth, if its mounted to the keel it would get you down to 100'. Others have made a towfish to eliminate any problems with keel issues or turbulence from the hull.

I just got my 997 and cant wait to try it out. I have had the 987 for the last two years.

Good Luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Robert

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006

RGecy said:
Well, Here it is! The following link is to the HBSI Sonar Data File Converter Windows Installer download. The program will convert the Humminbird Sonar Files to different Sonar File Formats that can be played back on the PC with the corresponding viewer.

Robert,

Hope you don not mind a couple quick questions. Im considering buying a Hummingbird but need to know if it will work in the 120- 150' depth range. Also how far will the unit scan on either side of the boat (when scanning in 120').

Thanks in advance.

Capt. Dan Berg
www.aquaexplorers.com

OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

wreckvalle said:
Robert,

Hope you don not mind a couple quick questions. I'm considering buying a Hummingbird but need to know if it will work in the 120- 150' depth range. Also how far will the unit scan on either side of the boat (when scanning in 120').

Thanks in advance.

Capt. Dan Berg
www.aquaexplorers.com

I have not tried my 997 at 150', but it says it will go to these depths. My 987 had trouble at 100', but the 997 is supposed to have a better transducer. I would certainly recommend making a towfish and putting some low-impedance cable on it to extend the length to say 60-80'. But this will only get you down 10-15' or so unless you add lots of weight. But it will give you a better image and remove any rocking back and forth from the boat and waves.

As for the side distance, the 987 was 240' per side, but the 997 says it can go up to 360'. I am going to try to get on the water tomorrow and test my new 997 and see how well it does.

Good Luck,

Robert

OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Humminbird Sonar Data File Converter and Playback Software - New Release!

I have released a new version of the HBSI Sonar Data File Converter Windows Installer download. Please uninstall any previous versions first using the Control Panel - Add Remove Programs.

HBSI Sonar Data File Converter

This update will fix the error for those using the 1197 and 997 with software version 4.100 and 4.110.

Please let me know if you have any problems with the latest fix.

Thanks,

Robert Gecy

starboar

Greenie
Feb 3, 2008

Robert,

Wanted to thank you for providing the playback software. It has been very useful to me.

Do you know if there are any other playback softwares that allow you to break out some of the data from the .SON files?

I am specifically interested in breaking out the X,Y,Z from the echosounder (x-position, y-position, z-depth) to draw bathymetry maps in Surfer. Anything that would breakout the x,y,z from the Humminbird .SON file into an ascii text file or .xls file or any other popular format that can be manipulated.

Thanks in advance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions