Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My honey-holes seem to be drying up as of late, so I sat down at the computer and tried for days to come up with something. Nothing was standing out to me so I decided to do a little reading. I love history and reading. I had bought a book awhile back about the early years of Las Vegas, so I started into it.
It wasn't long until I read where people were saying "there needs to be more stops along the highway to cool off and top-off the radiator". Huh, what highway I wondered?
An old map gave me the answer I needed, so I set out along that old path looking for places where travelers could have pulled over to top off radiators and rest.

I found an enormous amount of trash and car parts. Spark plugs by the dozens, valve stems, trim pieces, etc.
But the 4th spot I stopped at gave up the goods!
IMG_5198.jpeg
IMG_5199.jpeg

The 1926 dollar about blew my ears out at only 2 inches under the gravel! About 1 1/2 feet away was the 1942 walker at about 5 inches under. The 1944 quarter and 1947 dime were both much deeper and came after another hour or so and were at the same pullout area. These coins have had a rough life in the roadside gravel. They look like the coins I have found in the old gravel parking lot all winter. I guess that's to be expected. There isn't much "dirt" here except for in the parks, but the finds are better and the digging easier in places like this.

It was getting pretty hot and the wind was strong enough to make me lose my balance twice while squatting to dig, so I called it quits.

That's my second Liberty dollar and third walker this year! I sure hope this trend continues as this is already my best md'ing year yet!

Probably won't have a chance to hit this old highway again until fall, as it's about time to head north for the summer.

Upvote 45

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Should be called “Running the silver cycle” or something. You got all the denominations you could expect for that period except maybe a war nickle. Soooo, congratulations on running the silver cycle!
Dig

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My honey-holes seem to be drying up as of late, so I sat down at the computer and tried for days to come up with something. Nothing was standing out to me so I decided to do a little reading. I love history and reading. I had bought a book awhile back about the early years of Las Vegas, so I started into it.
It wasn't long until I read where people were saying "there needs to be more stops along the highway to cool off and top-off the radiator". Huh, what highway I wondered?
An old map gave me the answer I needed, so I set out along that old path looking for places where travelers could have pulled over to top off radiators and rest.

I found an enormous amount of trash and car parts. Spark plugs by the dozens, valve stems, trim pieces, etc.
View attachment 2085674 View attachment 2085675

The 1926 dollar about blew my ears out at only 2 inches under the gravel! About 1 1/2 feet away was the 1942 walker at about 5 inches under. The 1944 quarter and 1947 dime were both much deeper and came after another hour or so and were at the same pullout area. These coins have had a rough life in the roadside gravel. They look like the coins I have found in the old gravel parking lot all winter. I guess that's to be expected. There isn't much "dirt" here except for in the parks, but the finds are better and the digging easier in places like this.

It was getting pretty hot and the wind was strong enough to make me lose my balance twice while squatting to dig, so I called it quits.

That's my second Liberty dollar and third walker this year! I sure hope this trend continues as this is already my best md'ing year yet!

Probably won't have a chance to hit this old highway again until fall, as it's about time to head north for the summer.
Awesome Hunt!!! A Peace Dollar😳!!! Congrats!!!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats!

Watch for them old pull outs (rest stops) on your way North! l.o.l..

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you oldmxrat! It's quite rewarding when research actually pans out. Great collection of coins ( especially the Peace dollar- Wow).
Yeah, after coming up empty at the first few spots I was starting to think it wasn't such a great idea. I thought for sure that dollar was going to be an aluminum can and actually stepped past it, then scolded myself and went back and dug it.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sweet. You must be having a fantastic year if that's your 2nd dollar and 3rd half!
Man, this is a year I won't soon forget! I just tallied up and I'm at 72 silver coins so far in 2023.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Research and hard work are major keys to success, so huge Congrats are in order. BTW, you said that's your second silver dollar- I've been at this for 33 years in Mass- got a grand total of Zero of any type!

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research and hard work are major keys to success, so huge Congrats are in order. BTW, you said that's your second silver dollar- I've been at this for 33 years in Mass- got a grand total of Zero of any type!
Thanks Jeff!
They're out there!
Actually two this year and another last year.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2085674 View attachment 2085675

Great haul! Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions