Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
98 degrees in town yesterday, so I headed for Tahoe again. There's a stretch of the river just below Tahoe where rafting is a huge tourist business and on a warm day you can see hundreds of rafters on any small stretch of river. It's pretty tough hunting with cold water, heavy current, slippery rocks and rafts to dodge, but people are losing stuff all day long.
I can normally find a piece of jewelry or two and a ton of clad here.
Yesterday was different. Plenty of rafters, but all I got after 2 1/2 hours in the water was a big pile of pull tabs, bottle caps and 12 cents in clad. I was starting to shiver so I was making my way to the spot where I could climb out of the river when I got this super loud and big high tone on the Simplex. I was in a little slow-water cut out along the bank where it was kind of silty. Figuring it was just another beer can, I casually scooped to do my part to de-trash the river. The silt immediately clouded my view, but a wave of the detector told me I either had the target, or the current took it for a ride. When I looked in the scoop I was completely shocked! What the heck? Never, ever did I expect this!
My second Peace Dollar this year!

1923-s
Btw, I didn't clean it either, this is how it came out of the water!

Attachments

• 17Jul2022a.jpeg
    17Jul2022a.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 808
  • 17Jul2022b.jpeg
    17Jul2022b.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 619
Upvote 99

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I bet they lose a lot in that river
Thanks! For sure, I see 6-8 other people searching that stretch of river every time I go there, and it still seems like everybody finds enough to make them keep coming back.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin and a very tough find. One of America’s finest coins. Congrats!
Agreed. I never thought I'd find one, and two in one year...I'm dumbfounded!

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree...for a detected coin that one is clean and nice....you can't ask for more than that in the scoop. Well done!
Lake Tahoe water is about as pure and clean as nature has to offer, so I guess it acted like a preservative? I found a '52 Rosie in the same spot last year and it too looked freshly minted.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
98 degrees in town yesterday, so I headed for Tahoe again. There's a stretch of the river just below Tahoe where rafting is a huge tourist business and on a warm day you can see hundreds of rafters on any small stretch of river. It's pretty tough hunting with cold water, heavy current, slippery rocks and rafts to dodge, but people are losing stuff all day long.
Yesterday was different. Plenty of rafters, but all I got after 2 1/2 hours in the water was a big pile of pull tabs, bottle caps and 12 cents in clad. I was starting to shiver so I was making my way to the spot where I could climb out of the river when I got this super loud and big high tone on the Simplex. I was in a little slow-water cut out along the bank where it was kind of silty. Figuring it was just another beer can, I casually scooped to do my part to de-trash the river. The silt immediately clouded my view, but a wave of the detector told me I either had the target, or the current took it for a ride. When I looked in the scoop I was completely shocked! What the heck? Never, ever did I expect this!

1923-s
kick a@#, one of prettiest coins US ever made imo! Tried water hunting for first time earlier this week in a freshwater mountain reservoir beach and failed miserably...too cloudy for snorkle and I only have a hand scoop..need a decent long handled aluminum scoop but my float rig worked just used way too much rope on the leash. Wow incredible find dude!

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kick a@#, one of prettiest coins US ever made imo! Tried water hunting for first time earlier this week in a freshwater mountain reservoir beach and failed miserably...too cloudy for snorkle and I only have a hand scoop..need a decent long handled aluminum scoop but my float rig worked just used way too much rope on the leash. Wow incredible find dude!
Water hunting def takes some time to dial in with lots of trial and error. Having the right scoop is key, I have 3 diff ones for diff conditions. Also made an underwater viewer from 4" pvc and a round piece of glass so I don't have to deal with a mask.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Water hunting def takes some time to dial in with lots of trial and error. Having the right scoop is key, I have 3 diff ones for diff conditions. Also made an underwater viewer from 4" pvc and a round piece of glass so I don't have to deal with a mask.
Thanks thats killer information, I'm thinking of starting with a small coob scoop with a wooden handle then progressing from there...scoops ain't cheap but I was in water for like five minutes and there were tons of targets with the dry sand beach being very quiet. I only recovered two things blindly flailing with my hand scoop and float rig but came up with a nickle and a pulltab so figured I'm already at fifty percent keeper rate and there has to be rings ad cellphones in there judging by the crowd. Good luck hunting!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one beautiful dollar! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing with us all.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, nice coin! My brother always cruises down the Truckee river in his wetsuit, brings up all kinds of stuff. I found an iPhone when they first came out, it was still working when it came out of the water, we called the owners home phone and he drove all the way from Reno to pick it up.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice find. How long do you guess it might have been in the water?
Thanks! From the condition of it, I'm thinking it was lost very soon after minting. They used these in the old slot machines at the lake and they would have gotten beat up pretty quick in the machines.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, nice coin! My brother always cruises down the Truckee river in his wetsuit, brings up all kinds of stuff. I found an iPhone when they first came out, it was still working when it came out of the water, we called the owners home phone and he drove all the way from Reno to pick it up.
Yep, I've returned many cellphones from there.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1923-s
Congrats that's awesome

Jiffyftw

May 24, 2017
SW, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1923-s

1923-s
One of my favorite coins....very nice find!!

Jun 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! :award_star_gold_3::award_star_gold_3::award_star_gold_3::award_star_gold_3::award_star_gold_3:

Rafted down the Truckee there once when I was a kid. I had a snorkel and mask and vividly remember how clear the water was there. I also remember the huge trout in the deep spot on the river next to the bridge at the lake shore. At least 10 of them were down there not less than 5 pounds each!

I live in Reno and have thought numerous times about going up to Kings Beach with my detector but never have got around to it. I will some day. 🙂

Yes! Ice cold! Get waders or a wetsuit, and then you can stay in longer. :laughing7:

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find!

1923-s
Super nice find! Thanks for sharing.

PastorBillV

Jul 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1923-s
I bicycle past there regularly (on the road, not the bike path) but never thought of detecting the river! Rode past there yesterday and the air was beautifully cool because of the river (and hot everywhere else!). Great find!

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! :award_star_gold_3::award_star_gold_3::award_star_gold_3::award_star_gold_3::award_star_gold_3:

Rafted down the Truckee there once when I was a kid. I had a snorkel and mask and vividly remember how clear the water was there. I also remember the huge trout in the deep spot on the river next to the bridge at the lake shore. At least 10 of them were down there not less than 5 pounds each!

I live in Reno and have thought numerous times about going up to Kings Beach with my detector but never have got around to it. I will some day. 🙂

Yes! Ice cold! Get waders or a wetsuit, and then you can stay in longer. :laughing7:
One of the fun things about hunting in the river is those big trout follow me around to nab all the edibles I set loose when I scoop! It's like they know exactly what I'm doing and show up within minutes of getting in the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread