What's new

Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

CrazySlasher

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
735
Reaction score
96
Golden Thread
1
Location
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

My hunting partner and I braved the heat today and hit a field that used to be a training spot for a local militia in the early 1700's. We were both hoping to pull some old coins out of there. Last visit I got a Jersey copper and a 1753 1/2 reale. It wasn't until much later after getting home that I realized I did find an oldie. I had found a couple junk metal discs close to where I found it and I just threw it in my pocket. Any ideas on the buttons? I believe they're pewter.

Edit: I cleaned up the copper a bit and can make out some lettering. It looks like ANCI (it may be an I) I can't make out the rest yet. Pictures below.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0438.webp
    IMG_0438.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_0439.webp
    IMG_0439.webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 990
  • IMG_0441.webp
    IMG_0441.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_0442.webp
    IMG_0442.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,005
  • IMG_0443.webp
    IMG_0443.webp
    8.6 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_0444.webp
    IMG_0444.webp
    7 KB · Views: 982
  • IMG_0445.webp
    IMG_0445.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_0446.webp
    IMG_0446.webp
    10.5 KB · Views: 988
  • IMG_0447.webp
    IMG_0447.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG_0448.webp
    IMG_0448.webp
    12 KB · Views: 981
Upvote 0
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

At first I did not like the look of those buttons either...but I am not convinced they are repro's...although I admit seeing the 21 on the back does make me a little more skeptical now. I have a button almost identical to the first with the big bulky shank and the same look to the material on one of my Rev War sites. When I found it I didn't know what to think...as I myself thought mine looked like a repro...but I know without a shadow of a doubt there would be no reproduction button at this site, and no reenactments.

I wish I had a photo of mine handy.

On the bright side, the button doesn't say "123" on the front! :headbang:
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

ColonialDude said:
At first I did not like the look of those buttons either...but I am not convinced they are repro's...although I admit seeing the 21 on the back does make me a little more skeptical now. I have a button almost identical to the first with the big bulky shank and the same look to the material on one of my Rev War sites. When I found it I didn't know what to think...as I myself thought mine looked like a repro...but I know without a shadow of a doubt there would be no reproduction button at this site, and no reenactments.

I wish I had a photo of mine handy.

On the bright side, the button doesn't say "123" on the front! :headbang:

It wasn't just the shank, but the sharpness of edges & the more tombac look to the metal of the piece that worried me, if your saying you have buttons of the same quality & colouration (bearing in mind the colour of the musket ball from the same site), I will somewhat keep an open mind. But surely the 21 needs some explaining (from this site)?
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

CRUSADER said:
ColonialDude said:
At first I did not like the look of those buttons either...but I am not convinced they are repro's...although I admit seeing the 21 on the back does make me a little more skeptical now. I have a button almost identical to the first with the big bulky shank and the same look to the material on one of my Rev War sites. When I found it I didn't know what to think...as I myself thought mine looked like a repro...but I know without a shadow of a doubt there would be no reproduction button at this site, and no reenactments.

I wish I had a photo of mine handy.

On the bright side, the button doesn't say "123" on the front! :headbang:

It wasn't just the shank, but the sharpness of edges & the more tombac look to the metal of the piece that worried me, if your saying you have buttons of the same quality & colouration (bearing in mind the colour of the musket ball from the same site), I will somewhat keep an open mind. But surely the 21 needs some explaining (from this site)?

What do you mean by the color of the musket ball?
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

CrazySlasher said:
CRUSADER said:
ColonialDude said:
At first I did not like the look of those buttons either...but I am not convinced they are repro's...although I admit seeing the 21 on the back does make me a little more skeptical now. I have a button almost identical to the first with the big bulky shank and the same look to the material on one of my Rev War sites. When I found it I didn't know what to think...as I myself thought mine looked like a repro...but I know without a shadow of a doubt there would be no reproduction button at this site, and no reenactments.

I wish I had a photo of mine handy.

On the bright side, the button doesn't say "123" on the front! :headbang:

It wasn't just the shank, but the sharpness of edges & the more tombac look to the metal of the piece that worried me, if your saying you have buttons of the same quality & colouration (bearing in mind the colour of the musket ball from the same site), I will somewhat keep an open mind. But surely the 21 needs some explaining (from this site)?

What do you mean by the color of the musket ball?

Its oxidized, like those pewter/lead-alloy buttons should have done.
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

CRUSADER said:
CrazySlasher said:
CRUSADER said:
ColonialDude said:
At first I did not like the look of those buttons either...but I am not convinced they are repro's...although I admit seeing the 21 on the back does make me a little more skeptical now. I have a button almost identical to the first with the big bulky shank and the same look to the material on one of my Rev War sites. When I found it I didn't know what to think...as I myself thought mine looked like a repro...but I know without a shadow of a doubt there would be no reproduction button at this site, and no reenactments.

I wish I had a photo of mine handy.

On the bright side, the button doesn't say "123" on the front! :headbang:

It wasn't just the shank, but the sharpness of edges & the more tombac look to the metal of the piece that worried me, if your saying you have buttons of the same quality & colouration (bearing in mind the colour of the musket ball from the same site), I will somewhat keep an open mind. But surely the 21 needs some explaining (from this site)?

What do you mean by the color of the musket ball?

Its oxidized, like those pewter/lead-alloy buttons should have done.

Okay, thanks.

Btw, I do not care if they're colonial or not. It's not that big of a disappointment considering the coins I've pulled out of there. They're just a bonus. I just didn't think they were modern. And by modern I mean made in the last 50 years or so.
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

CRUSADER said:
It wasn't just the shank, but the sharpness of edges & the more tombac look to the metal of the piece that worried me, if your saying you have buttons of the same quality & colouration (bearing in mind the colour of the musket ball from the same site), I will somewhat keep an open mind. But surely the 21 needs some explaining (from this site)?

I can't see how sharp the edges are personally, but the tombac look I am ok with. That's exactly how mine looks, and I have found many beat up pewter buttons and heavily patinated relics at the site. I can't speak for the buttons shown here as I did not find them...but I do know buttons of that appearance do exist. That being said, I can't say I mine has a "21" on the back. That number is what throws me more than anything as well.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom