What's new

Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

CrazySlasher

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
735
Reaction score
96
Golden Thread
1
Location
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

My hunting partner and I braved the heat today and hit a field that used to be a training spot for a local militia in the early 1700's. We were both hoping to pull some old coins out of there. Last visit I got a Jersey copper and a 1753 1/2 reale. It wasn't until much later after getting home that I realized I did find an oldie. I had found a couple junk metal discs close to where I found it and I just threw it in my pocket. Any ideas on the buttons? I believe they're pewter.

Edit: I cleaned up the copper a bit and can make out some lettering. It looks like ANCI (it may be an I) I can't make out the rest yet. Pictures below.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0438.webp
    IMG_0438.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_0439.webp
    IMG_0439.webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 990
  • IMG_0441.webp
    IMG_0441.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_0442.webp
    IMG_0442.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,005
  • IMG_0443.webp
    IMG_0443.webp
    8.6 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_0444.webp
    IMG_0444.webp
    7 KB · Views: 982
  • IMG_0445.webp
    IMG_0445.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_0448.webp
    IMG_0448.webp
    12 KB · Views: 981
  • IMG_0447.webp
    IMG_0447.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG_0446.webp
    IMG_0446.webp
    10.5 KB · Views: 988
Upvote 0
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper, little silver.

Heh, silvers cool !! :headbang:

Great finds !! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ It and HH !! :D ;D
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper, little silver.

Dont know what the disc is,,,,,,but it does look old.
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper, little silver.

The buttons date in the 1700's probably about the rev war or so
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper, little silver.

vayank54 said:
The buttons date in the 1700's probably about the rev war or so

Thank you. That's what I like to read! Any examples online I could look at?
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper, little silver.

Wow, way to go. Isn't it amazing how the heat seems to let up a little when you start hitting goodies.
Nice time period, keep after it. I bet there are some amazing things yet to come your way.

Don
HH
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper, little silver.

IT'S ALL GOOD I'VE GOT A COUPLE COPPERS I CAN'T ID THAT ONE LOOKS BIG WELL GOOD LUCK
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

Pics.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0456.webp
    IMG_0456.webp
    7.6 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_0457.webp
    IMG_0457.webp
    4.5 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_0460.webp
    IMG_0460.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_0459.webp
    IMG_0459.webp
    5.8 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_0458.webp
    IMG_0458.webp
    3.8 KB · Views: 735
  • paintpic.webp
    paintpic.webp
    4.7 KB · Views: 735
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper, little silver.

vayank54 said:
The buttons date in the 1700's probably about the rev war or so

I'm not convinced, that they aren't repro, don't like the shank
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper, little silver.

CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
The buttons date in the 1700's probably about the rev war or so

I'm not convinced, that they aren't repro, don't like the shank

There were two others pulled from the site in the same area. One read 21 on the back. I don't know why there would be reproductions there.
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper, little silver.

CrazySlasher said:
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
The buttons date in the 1700's probably about the rev war or so

I'm not convinced, that they aren't repro, don't like the shank

There were two others pulled from the site in the same area. One read 21 on the back. I don't know why there would be reproductions there.

Repro's get everywhere, not difficult to explain or imagine.

We need better pictures, plus never seen a rev war button with anything written on the reverse(well at least the pewter examples). :icon_scratch: if it were 21 on the front you might have a winner :wink:

PS. They might be fine (just a few things that bother me from the norm), but at best all you could ID them as is late 18th C- Early 19th C Pewter civilian buttons (no obivious signs of military influence). Although they look a higher lead-alloy mix than most pewter types.
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper, little silver.

CRUSADER said:
CrazySlasher said:
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
The buttons date in the 1700's probably about the rev war or so

I'm not convinced, that they aren't repro, don't like the shank

There were two others pulled from the site in the same area. One read 21 on the back. I don't know why there would be reproductions there.

Repro's get everywhere, not difficult to explain or imagine.

We need better pictures, plus never seen a rev war button with anything written on the reverse(well at least the pewter examples). :icon_scratch: if it were 21 on the front you might have a winner :wink:

PS. They might be fine (just a few things that bother me from the norm), but at best all you could ID them as is late 18th C- Early 19th C Pewter civilian buttons (no obivious signs of military influence). Although they look a higher lead-alloy mix than most pewter types.

I do understand that reproductions show up in certain places, but it is difficult to explain or imagine for me. Don't get me wrong, if these are reproductions, I wan't to know. I just don't understand how they would get there. Maybe you can educate me.

Also, what would the 21 on the back mean?

Edit: Just read your edit. I'm not too concerned with the buttons as much as I am with the coin. If they're civilian buttons, that's fine by me. If they're reproductions, that's fine with me, a bit disappointing, but it's okay.
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper, little silver.

CrazySlasher said:
CRUSADER said:
CrazySlasher said:
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
The buttons date in the 1700's probably about the rev war or so

I'm not convinced, that they aren't repro, don't like the shank

There were two others pulled from the site in the same area. One read 21 on the back. I don't know why there would be reproductions there.

Repro's get everywhere, not difficult to explain or imagine.

We need better pictures, plus never seen a rev war button with anything written on the reverse(well at least the pewter examples). :icon_scratch: if it were 21 on the front you might have a winner :wink:

PS. They might be fine (just a few things that bother me from the norm), but at best all you could ID them as is late 18th C- Early 19th C Pewter civilian buttons (no obvious signs of military influence). Although they look a higher lead-alloy mix than most pewter types.

I do understand that reproductions show up in certain places, but it is difficult to explain or imagine for me. Don't get me wrong, if these are reproductions, I wan't to know. I just don't understand how they would get there. Maybe you can educate me.

Also, what would the 21 on the back mean?

Edit: Just read your edit. I'm not too concerned with the buttons as much as I am with the coin. If they're civilian buttons, that's fine by me. If they're reproductions, that's fine with me, a bit disappointing, but it's okay.

OK, Repro to me could be anything produced later that looks to be older in date, so could include early 1900s but of course the obvious reenactors types turn up all over the place. Just to confuse things further some fashion types copied this type which meant anyone with a blazer could have lost it.

In my experience of 18th C buttons, the 21 on the reverse would be unique, so would need a picture of that one to understand.
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

the coin is possibly a Vermont copper A U C T O R I
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

I've dug some here in VA just like the ones posted same type of shank and all. There were no repros where I dug ine. the fact that one of the buttons dug there had a 21 on the back makes me wonder though as like Crusader said. I've never seen a pewter 1700's button with anything on the back either. Repros however usually do have some numbers on the back.
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper, little silver.

CRUSADER said:
CrazySlasher said:
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
The buttons date in the 1700's probably about the rev war or so

I'm not convinced, that they aren't repro, don't like the shank

There were two others pulled from the site in the same area. One read 21 on the back. I don't know why there would be reproductions there.


if it were 21 on the front you might have a winner :wink:

:thumbsup: Some edge loss but at least it's fairly round.
 

Attachments

  • Rev_21.webp
    Rev_21.webp
    71.2 KB · Views: 513
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

Here's the button w/the 21.
 

Attachments

  • button.webp
    button.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 457
  • button2.webp
    button2.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 459
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

CrazySlasher said:
Here's the button w/the 21.

theres the proof that they are not 18th C.

now maybe, you can help with why it got there :wink: it happens :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

CRUSADER said:
CrazySlasher said:
Here's the button w/the 21.

theres the proof that they are not 18th C.

now maybe, you can help with why it got there :wink: it happens :icon_thumright:

Can you explain why that doesn't make it colonial? I don't doubt you at all. I'm just trying to educate myself on buttons. I know nothing about dating them or anything like that.
 
Re: Hunted an old militia site today. Big copper UPDATED.NEED SOME HELP.

CrazySlasher said:
CRUSADER said:
CrazySlasher said:
Here's the button w/the 21.

theres the proof that they are not 18th C.

now maybe, you can help with why it got there :wink: it happens :icon_thumright:

Can you explain why that doesn't make it colonial? I don't doubt you at all. I'm just trying to educate myself on buttons. I know nothing about dating them or anything like that.
Very few 18th century buttons have any backmarks including numbers, plus the pewter/lead type that this one is copying never have any reverse marks. However, modern day copies do.
Sorry, for the kinda bad news, it was just that the buttons had many things that bothered me, compared to all the ones I find here. I thought you would rather know, than not. :-\
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom