Hunting a park and hit first silver...

Caliche digger

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2008
South TX
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Well I was sitting around at one of our family's houses and happened to have my XLT with me so I decided to hit a late 50's early sixty's abandoned pool park. Was hoping to perhaps get a silver rosie or quarter, but got something a little farther back. It's pretty beat up, but for my first silver I'll take it. :thumbsup: Turned out to be a 1942 plain mercury dime found at eight inches with my whites Spectrum XLT. Also found a pretty little spoon. I know that it is just plated and I think it is silver, but I'm not sure. Says "Tudor plate" and "oneida community" on the back. Rang up as a solid 57 on my VDI.
Mostly just clad besideds that. The flattened penny has a neat little story to it. My dad who used to live in a house near here use to play in this park. Before he moved to Texas he lived near a railroad and used to place pennys on the rails to flatten them for fun. Knowing this story I showed it to him after the hunt and he confirmed that it looked very much like some of the ones him and his friends use to play with. Anyways it was a neat story. I still haven't done much detecting in that area and hope to go back sometime soon.

Caliche digger

IMG_8263.jpg

IMG_8266.jpg

Upvote 0

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Congrats on your first silver,a sweet Merc.I'm sure your XLT will get you many more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread