Hunting A Soccer Field

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DSCN2426.JPG On Sunday, Sue and I hunted a soccer field and did quite well with clad while we were there but after an hour and 45 minutes we had to quit because the heat did me in. Finds for the day were 78 coins worth $10.70 and we'll go back there again to finish where we left off when the weather gets cooler.

Upvote 21

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt!:occasion14:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congrats. That's a lot of digging. But on that note. We're any surface finds? Just curious. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. That's a lot of digging. But on that note. We're any surface finds? Just curious. :icon_thumright:

There were 5-6 that were surface finds and another 9-10 that were only an inch or so deep. The majority were in the 3 inch range. They cleaned up pretty well. Two of the pennies were wheats, 1942 and 1957.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well done nice pile of money

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! One of my earliest sites when I first started was a soccer field close to me, I dug (more than) enough clad out of there to upgrade to my first decent pinpointer. I was VERY careful to make sure to leave no trace if my presence there, and rarely hunted the actual soccer surfaces, and then only in the off season. I always had this place to myself...one day I show up and there's 4 guys detecting...all of them are digging huge plugs, 2 of them don't have pinpointers and they're first-timers, so they were making a HUGE mess. I don't mind company, or competition, but there was too much going on for me. I told the guys to have fun, but to please be courteous. I packed up and left, stopped back a few hours later and spent and hour and a half fixing horrible plugs, filling holes and picking up the cans and other trash the left beside the holes. I was hoping I had cleaned that place out of clad enough to discourage them from returning there. Gladly, I've not seen them there. But great job, that's a pile of clad, or battery, gas and coffee money..Ddf.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt. I got out in the woods yesterday and the heat and mosquitoes drove out. You've found a great spot there.
HH
dts

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! One of my earliest sites when I first started was a soccer field close to me, I dug (more than) enough clad out of there to upgrade to my first decent pinpointer. I was VERY careful to make sure to leave no trace if my presence there, and rarely hunted the actual soccer surfaces, and then only in the off season. I always had this place to myself...one day I show up and there's 4 guys detecting...all of them are digging huge plugs, 2 of them don't have pinpointers and they're first-timers, so they were making a HUGE mess. I don't mind company, or competition, but there was too much going on for me. I told the guys to have fun, but to please be courteous. I packed up and left, stopped back a few hours later and spent and hour and a half fixing horrible plugs, filling holes and picking up the cans and other trash the left beside the holes. I was hoping I had cleaned that place out of clad enough to discourage them from returning there. Gladly, I've not seen them there. But great job, that's a pile of clad, or battery, gas and coffee money..Ddf.

Thanks for protecting our hobby, dirtdigginfool. Just like when I used to hunt, I found myself closing gates, picking up trash, etc. It only takes one knucklehead to have a site closed down or for a town to pass some ordinance.
HH
dts

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well done nice pile of money
Thanks.....

Thanks, I use the clad finds to buy junk silver at the end of the season so this will help my stockpile grow a little more. I've come across a few beginners in my time too. One guy was hunting a park in my hometown, had no clue how to use his detector and was digging every beep he heard with a pick like rock climbers use. He made a total mess of the place. When I pointed out to him that he was destroying the grounds he basically told me that he wasn't doing anything wrong and to mind my own business ! Total JERK !

Nice hunt. I got out in the woods yesterday and the heat and mosquitoes drove out. You've found a great spot there.
HH
dts
Thanks, we didn't have to deal with mosquitoes but the heat and humidity were horrible. We'll go back later in the fall.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for protecting our hobby, dirtdigginfool. Just like when I used to hunt, I found myself closing gates, picking up trash, etc. It only takes one knucklehead to have a site closed down or for a town to pass some ordinance.
HH
dts

Thx DTS...actually, there IS an ordinance here banning MD'ing in city parks. This soccer field is a giant complex, about 20 acres or so, and I've kept a light presence there, hunting on weekends in the soccer off-season and later in the evening. Many police have cruised through there, returning my nod or wave. They've also seen me there picking trash up. You're right, it's the knuckleheads that ruin it for the rest of us, so keep cleaning up, closing gates and we might have a fighting chance. Ddf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions