✅ SOLVED Hunting arrowheads in the rain.....

TundraPlugger

Jan 27, 2019
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't really plan on hunting in the rain but I ended up not having a choice in the matter.

We didn't have much going on Friday for work so I figured it was a good opportunity to check out one of my spots.
It was very cloudy out and quite foggy with a bit of a drizzle but I wore three layers so my sweatshirt on the outside would soak up any moisture.

I got down to the bottom of the coulee I was hunting in and found some buffalo bone and a few artifacts, including a small used up Lookingbill point with a broken ear.

I was starting to head back up to where my truck was parked about a half mile up the coulee when the lightning started flashing a couple miles south of me. I figured I'd better get up that huge hill and get back in my truck.

Before I knew it there was lightning hitting all around me within a half mile or less. It was where the lightning would flash and the thunder would crack immediately...... I no longer needed to get to my truck, I needed somewhere to take cover.

I got another 50 yards up the coulee and found a brushy area no where near any large trees so that would have to do. At this point it was pouring out so any cover would work.

I got to my hiding spot and just laid on the ground for the next 45 minutes and tried to shelter my expensive phone since everything else I was wearing was so wet it was if I had jumped in the lake fully clothed with my boots on. Life sucked at that point!

After the rain had stopped and no more lightning was present I continued up the hill another 100 yards to get to my truck. Luckily for me I had an extra work shirt and work pants in my truck but no extra socks or boots. I had gotten so wet that when I took my boots off I could watch the water slosh around on the inside.

Needless to say I drove home defeated and barefoot. Very luckily for me the lightning never found me but I don't think I'll be going out hunting with that kind of weather anywhere near me again.

I did get a few cool pictures of some petrified wood stumps and a piece of a buffalo skull so it could have been worse.

Last two pictures are of my hiding spot in the brush and the storm that went over me. 20190920_103844.jpg 20190920_122610.jpg 20190920_103929.jpg 20190920_105417.jpg 20190920_131121.jpg 20190920_131805.jpg 20190920_131100.jpg 20190920_115437.jpg Screenshot_20190920-121146_AccuWeather.jpg

Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee whiz man, I'm just glad you're okay. You could've found the best arrowhead ever and never made it home to share it with us. We have so many blessings to count...

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here in Florida you have to take lightning seriously. A lot of people get kille here every year because there are so many people and so much lightening. Beach and golf courses are 2 places that people get killed at often. When you hear the thunder it is time to go. Glad you made it out safe.

OP
OP
TundraPlugger

TundraPlugger

Jan 27, 2019
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee whiz man, I'm just glad you're okay. You could've found the best arrowhead ever and never made it home to share it with us. We have so many blessings to count...
Thanks chip! It was a bit dumb on my part but that darn storm threw me off a bit. It kind of formed outta nowhere. Those big thunderstorms can be real unpredictable around here. I had enough common sense to find cover so it could have been worse.

OP
OP
TundraPlugger

TundraPlugger

Jan 27, 2019
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Florida you have to take lightning seriously. A lot of people get kille here every year because there are so many people and so much lightening. Beach and golf courses are 2 places that people get killed at often. When you hear the thunder it is time to go. Glad you made it out safe.
Thanks newnan! I started heading back when I saw lightning flash a few miles southwest of me but I was too far from my truck to get back before the electric storm surrounded me. Scary as hell I tell ya!

Nedhawks

Jul 13, 2019
South virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you made it out safe! Man we could use a couple of big Boomer's here in central Virginia. The crops are anemic and the trees have gone into a drought induced fall foliage!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's gotta be a blast. Thanks for posting those

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread