Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT stock and 5.3 coil

Tupelo_Rebel

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2007
Tupelo, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
The beaches are open for hunting except in certain areas such as bird nesting areas. The people down there watch other people's property very closely down there. I would advise to get permission before hunting any of the land on the north side of Beach Blvd.

True story....I got permission to hunt some property whose owners had left Biloxi after Katrina had wiped their property clean of a house, but still owned the property. The first day I was out there, the neighbors came up wanting to know what I was doing on the property. I had to convince them that I knew the owners, and had been given permission to hunt it. The NEXT day, I went back out there, and waved to the neighbors...about 20 minutes into detecting the property, a police car pulled up. I had to actually call the owner on my cell phone, and have the owner tell the policeman that it was okay for me to be out there. Someone had been just driving by, and called me in. The policeman was very nice about it, and actually inquired "do those detectors really work? I've been thinking about getting one myself".

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those now vacant lots still belong to someone so the standard permission requirements still apply. After, the Hurryupcane, there was a problem with looters cruising the place as soon as the streets were cleared. At times like that, neighbors REALLY look after eachother. This would be the time for a signed note of permission from an owner with a quick stop by the police station to "check in" with them and show them you are cleared. That way if anyone called you in to them, they could verify your legitimacy over the phone.

Whenever I've gone into a new area to hunt, I've made it a habit to check with the local police department for any local rules and regs. That's "self preservation" of the first kind. ;D

MSdigger

May 14, 2008
MS Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
I live in east Biloxi, very close to the beach, in one of the areas with mostly empty lots. Just got back from the beach with my detector, found a '53 wheatie near the waters edge right off the bat. Nothing good after that.

The others are correct. We do watch each others property. Only go if you do have permission from the owner. Many of the property owners visit their property on weekends to maintain it. That would be a good time to approach them for permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread