Hunting in Metroparks?

numberwhiz

Apr 7, 2008
Hi from a transplanted Michigander living in Indiana! I used to live in Northville and went to Kensington Metropark all the time.

I know Geocaching IS allowed in Huron-Clinton Metroparks, so I assume MD would be as well. Here is a URL of the regulations:

http://www.metroparks.com/images/activities/geo_rules_app.pdf

These regulations say nothing about metal detecting, but at the bottom are contact people (and phone numbers) who are in charge of the Geocaching permits at each individual park - they would be the people to ask if metal detectors are allowed. The fact that geocaching is allowed is a good sign.

Please let me know what you find out. If you get up to Kensington, go to the hill leading down to Maple Beach. When I was a kid that is where everyone lay their towels and played around. There are probably tons of jewelry and coins buried on that hill.

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can call metro parks stony creek tomorrow and find out

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I have been wondering the same thing. Seems to me I read somewhere that you can detect, but only on non-manicured land. ie, probably the beaches and in the woods and fields. You might need to get a permit too, $5 bucks or something. Not sure if this is true but if anyone finds out please post.

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does cost 5 or 6 bucks to get in. I was told it was ok but im going to double check since the one by me been around a long long time.

mptilkins

Apr 4, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
lonestar
you are allowed to hunt all the parks at any time just not the beaches! cant detect during the swimming season on the beach every else is ok!!

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called today, they said there are certain areas at diffrent times of the year. like the beaches before summer and after just so you dont bother people. they also told me you have to go to the office where you go and get a rule and regulation guide. other than that its ok to hunt.. now i do know metro beach is off to after september but its like a egg hunt where almost 100 people wait till they sound off thats crazy.

mptilkins

Apr 4, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
lonestar
you can actually hunt metro park aswell just not the beach!! all the lawn area and that, just not the sand beach

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
OK, so I went to Stony Creek after work. The guy at the booth told me to go fo it, so that was good enough for me. Actually found something, a 1994 fifty cent piece and an old rusty nitrous oxide container (whippit), ahh the good old days. The 50 cent piece looks brand new.....oh wait, it almost is. Rang out like a bell, kinda exciting for being new to this. Oh, and I dug about 25 pull tabs and bits of foil to get that coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread