hunting in Texas

C

coincrazy

Hi everyone this is my first post. There have been so many questions that have been answered for me just reading all the post that this site has to offer. This site alone is a gold mind :)

Anyway the question I have now, and I hope Im in the right forum, has anyone done any hunting in Texas? Iam leaving to travel the whole state and it will be my first time detecting. Yes, I am a bigtime NEWBEE, I havent even put the stick to the ground yet but Iam so excited. So any info would be great.

Thanks Wendy

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wendy, where you from? I travel to Texas with my job all the time and always bring my detector. My favorite spots to hunt are the beaches (I am from Kansas so don't get to hunt beaches very often). I have tried parks and old abandoned homes and they all have the same problem FIRE ANTS, they are everywhere. As a matter of fact there are lots ob insects in Texas.

The Best advice I can give you is to join a club and find an experienced hunting partner. It takes lots of practice to become proficient at this hobby so don't give up if you don't find buried treasure your first week.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Don
Kansas City

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Hi I hunt in central Texas and have more sights than I know which to hunt, from ghost towns to parks, I will tell you State parks are not allowed. What part of Texas will you be in?

captinharry

Sep 30, 2006
Houston, Texas
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
coincrazy said:
I am leaving to travel the whole state and it will be my first time detecting. Yes, I am a bigtime NEWBEE, I haven't even put the stick to the ground yet

Wow I have been traveling in Texas for decades & can tell you it is a big place, why don't to elaborate on "travel the whole state".
For a general reference on Texas History use http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/
This is 'The Handbook of Texas On line it is a multidisciplinary encyclopedia of Texas history, geography, and culture sponsored by the Texas State Historical Association'
What detector are you going to use or going to get.
Keep in mind that if you are new to detectors your 1st 20 hours or more will be learning & may be frustrating- just be patient keep the coil to the ground & dig - it will be a lot of fun for you.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt in NE Texas 2-3 times a week. There are a lot of places to hunt but always get permission before you go on to someone's property, people take that stuff real serious around here. Usually city parks and public schools are okay if you want to pick up some clad and an occasional goodie.

C

Coincollector22

I hunt in NE texas, of course this is wear I live ;)

Mar 20, 2007
Austin, TX
Hey Wendy,
How did your first hunt go? Did you find anything interesting in Texas?? I'm new to this too--Austin area.

Hope to see an update on your found treasures!! :)

Deb

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
Hey coincrazy, it's April 17th. Must be one hell of a road trip. ;)
Wheeeree arrrrreeee yooouuu !!!!
Hope you had, or are still having, a great time. Looking forward to pictures.

Welcome to the forum.
Ima Swinger

farseer

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2006
Hey all i will be staying in Dallas this summer (4 monts) to work there (I live in BG, Europe) I hope there will be a free time to go for hunting - our hunting areas are much different from the US - usually they are NOT alowed to hunt (ancient city, castles etc)... but first ill have to buy new metal detector, so far i have bookmarked XLT, Sov GT and older models like Golden Hawk, XT18000, maybe second hand SD2200 (if its a good idea to use it for coin hunting - i will use it for coins when i come back).
Help me on choosing :)
Cheers!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Well Farseer if your in Dallas you could just drive over to Garrett and pick something up. Have you found any places yet??

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
i know a few areas around the corpus christi area if your ever around let me know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread