hunting question

mjb Mike

Feb 10, 2021
southern mayland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a long stretch of colonial rd thats in the woods now that I want to detect.Its about a miles long.I look back on all the colonial rd that ive detected in the past and most of my finds were on the edge of the rd to about 20 yards out.looking back 90% of my finds were on the side not in the rd.Im going to eventually cover all of the rd and the sides too.Just was wondering if other members find more thing off the side of the rd then in the rd.thanks

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help you on roads. Most of my detecting is along old logging RR grades. Most of my finds are 10-15 feet along the grade. Old tools and trashy iron. Very seldom find any thing farther then that.
What few roads I've detected, the finds were very close to the road

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found when hunting along OLD ROADS, look for a water source. Usually pioneers would camp on or near water, either on a stream, creek or spring. That's where I've found most of my good finds.
A few "parts" along the side of the road.
You might get lucky and find where a small encounter or battle happened. Check the landscape;
where would You attack, or rob a traveler?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just was wondering if other members find more thing off the side of the rd then in the rd.thanks

The side of the road, especially where there was room to pull over, is always going to hold more goodies than the center part of the road. People walk on the side of the road, and cars (or wagons) parked on
the side, which allows for an opportunity for something to be lost.

That's also why vintage curb strips can be such gold mines.

OP
OP
M

mjb Mike

Feb 10, 2021
southern mayland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info this road never saw a car its was in use 17 and 1800.was abandoned. by late 1800

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread