HURRICANE HUNTING THE BEACH

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this year (if all of the experts are correct) promises to be a busy one for Florida. We have certain areas on both coasts that we work throughout the year but when a storm hits one we make a concentrated effort at that spot.

There aren't a lot of us that are willing to take the risks associated with working the beaches during and immediately after a big storm but the numbers do seem to be growing. Unfortunately many of these newcomers do not seem to have the slightest idea of what they are letting themselves in for.

If you are going to work a hurricane, common sense is the most important commodity. Don't show up before the storm hits and expect to ride it out in your pop up camper, travel trailer, RV or tent (yep, have seen all of them). A low profile vehicle is best. I have a little Ford Ranger with a shell on it that is my favorite storm truck.

Plan on being totally self sufficient!!!! We plan for a week plus a few extra days just in case it's a bad hit and it becomes necessary to stay in the area. When you get near the area, gas up and fill up an extra 5 gallon can (it's nice to be able to leave as fast as you got there). Do this before entering the expected impact area as locals have probably emptied the local gas stations. I like to get into the area 1 to 2 days before the storm. This way I can scout around and find a good spot to ride out the worst of the storm. If it's a cat 3 or 4 staying right at waters side or even on a barrier island is pretty much idiocy.

For me I like to carry 20/25 gallons of water, an air matteres and sleeping bag (they make the pickup bed very livable), a camp stove with plenty of fuel cannisters and a large plastic tote with food and the like in it (I'm not going to go into great detail on this as safety is the primary goal of this posting). The key to what you decide to take all boils down to BE SELF SUFFCIENT!!!! Don't add to the problems that will develop after the storm. Experience is the best teacher here and you can practice by taking weekend trips to determine what you really need and what you just want. Personally, I like to go as lite as possible on the rare chance that I might be forced to abandon the truck and walk out. If it won't fit into my back pack or the large tote, it doesn't go.

Get as deep into the expected impact area as you feel comfortable with to avoid the inevitable road blocks that will be established immediately after and in some cases before the storm hits. Scout out where you are going to make your base (and at least one alternative) and stay put. Don't be overly conspicuous or you will likely find yourself forced by a law enforcement type into a shelter. Avoid these shelters like the plague. They become zoo's very quickly and you won't be allowed to leave until the caretakers say you can. A good road Atlas also comes in very handy (I use a Truckers Atlas as they show roads the AAA types have never heard of. They are expensive but worth every penny when attempting to avoid clogged interstates to get in or out of an area). You can get them in any Truck Stop and current costs seem to be running $50 to $80.

Getting by road blocks etc. immediately after the storm and out to the barrier island beaches is no big deal if you haven't already parked yourself out there. A sea kayak, canoe or small Zodiac works well and can be launched from virtually anywhere. There are several of us that hunt together and our girlfriends (in one case a wife) stay with the camp to make sure it's still there when we get back at the end of the day. A NOTE HERE: Do not ride out the storm together, everyone needs to pick their own spot. One vehicle doesn't draw much attention but two or three will. If you are spotted and told to leave, my suggestion would be to do so immediately. They can arrest you if they so desire or worse yet force you into a shelter zoo. Have a prearranged spot to meet when the storm passes and you're ready to go.

When actually working the beach, above all be respectful of the water. If the surf is high stay well out of its reach. A few years back we were working a cut about half way up the beach and the Dune line of one of our favorite beaches. We had backpacked into this one and our camp was set up in the dunes. Some guy had shown up in the morning and was near by working down close to some really heavy surf. He had talked to us a little when he first showed up and told us that he had swam the intercostal towing his gear on an innertube (that's dedication for you). Anyway, one second he was swinging the detector and the next he was in the water. We managed to get a line out to him and drag him in through the surf but it was a close one and his detector and scoop were history. Fortunately he wasn't in a Rip that would have taken him to far out for us to help.

Yes, riding out a storm to go TH'ng is exciting. Yes, it is dangerous and Yes, you had better have a great deal of confidence in your preparations and abilities. But most of all, YES, you had better know your own limitations. It's not for everyone. Not being willing to take the inherent risks involved does not make you any less of a treasure hunter. It only means that you know what your personal limitations are and in my book that is the mark of an intelligent person who could hunt with me anytime.
Deepsix

Upvote 0
Very interesting and good info. Been there, done that. Wish I had taken more pictures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back