Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Been a crazy October with Hurricane Matthew rolling through the low country. Aircraft evacuation coupled with a newborn has made getting out a bit challenging, however I'm happy to report a bit of recent success in the SC dirt. This particular site is an interesting one, a proverbial time capsule of relics that date from the mid 1700's up to the turn of the century. Given the range of occupation, its a dig everything type of location.

Armed with my trusty CTX, I proceeded to work a newly eroded section. Finds were scattered, but impressive given it has reached the "pounded" designation.

Beginning with the early stuff, late 1700s 33mm flat button and a cast buckle :dontknow:

20161031_185800.jpg 20161031_185813.jpg

Also managed a fully intact 18th century pewter button, sadly no regimental markings on this one...condition is incredible though. Small still functioning strap buckle dug in the same plug

20161031_185840.jpg 20161031_185846.jpg 20161031_185624.jpg 20161031_185643.jpg

This ring I am hoping is something special- comprised of 2 sections attached at the back, is a copper (some gold plate still visible) ring. Any opinions welcome on age/origins

20161031_191622.jpg 20161031_191635.jpg

Onward into the 1800s, a nice variety of underwear buttons and flat buttons. The site was occupied by confederate troops, so certainly a possibility these were in use.

20161031_190022.jpg 20161031_190333.jpg 20161031_190355.jpg

Looks like someone may have dropped this little beauty- 1843 Seated Half Dime...rang in clear and strong despite the salt flat conditions. Love my Deus, but this machine is a beast in salt water.

20161031_191322.jpg 20161031_191327.jpg

Also dug a small buckle, copper shipping nails, and pewter spoon fragments.

20161031_185723.jpg 20161031_190750.jpg 20161031_190843.jpg

The only CW era bullet recovered was this small pistol round

20161031_191951.jpg

Onward into the Victorian era, I scored a ladies sash buckle! Mirror image shows what it would have looked like intact.

20161031_185207.jpg 20161031_185340.jpg unnamed.jpg

Also managed an early 1900s locomotive button

20161031_190544.jpg 20161031_190555.jpg

Among the unknowns are this small brass item and a stamped copper decorative piece.

20161031_190658.jpg 20161031_190701.jpg 20161031_185445.jpg 20161031_185450.jpg

Also recovered assorted lead fishing weighs, camp lead, and fired musketballs.

20161031_191936.jpg

All in all a great few digs in the SC mud, with a nice little silver to break the drought. As always, thanks for looking and good luck out there!

20161031_191715.jpg

Upvote 40

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks John, hopefully the winter will nuke the mosquitoes for our next excursion

I might brave a little time out there again soon. I haven't been able to get out since my last hunt right after the storm. I had this past weekend off but had stuff to catch up on around the house after a 9 straight days work schedule. I have this Sat, Sun and Mon off so I might take one of those days. I'm itching to get back out and get on to something!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After your generosity seems to me we need to take a group field trip up to PA

Can't get him away from that dang display case now. I wait and wait on my daily relic pics but he claims he's"working". All of a sudden he's working? His neighbor's tell me they can see him dancing around in the house holding an object in his hand. What ya gonna do with him now? As far as a trip...he needs to come down and find one to match.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think we are all guilty of constantly searching for an edge on pounded sites, but given that I hunt so much on the flats it could be a great fit. Right now the deus for inland and CTX for coastal hunts has been an highly effective combo. Not going to lie, extending my reach of the ctx from 6-8 inches to 10-12 with the GPX could be a game changer.

That was my thought buddy. That GPX can take you to places you never thought possible. It is perfect for picking up small pewters and cufflinks as well. I dug a kg and a few buttons at a tiny site that I hunted quiet with the T2. I had also used the 15" coil on the T2. One tombac was at least 15" and was loud and clear both ways. At this point in the game this is how I look at things. You and I have hunted some incredible sites and recovered some amazing items from those sites. I've always wondered if I'm leaving a few more amazing items down deep. I would pay a lot of money to get more in he's of depth out of a machine. To get an extra 8-10" gives me the satisfaction of knowing that if it's there it's coming home with me. I'm not going to lie....a few trips out with the GPX I wanted to wrap it around a tree. Something clicked this past weekend. I started to hear things a bit differently. I dug way more keepers. If your sites are not iron infested I think it would be a fantastic addition to the already impressive family. If you want to speak with a true expert about one we can tell you who to call/email my friend

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Think we are all guilty of constantly searching for an edge on pounded sites, but given that I hunt so much on the flats it could be a great fit. Right now the deus for inland and CTX for coastal hunts has been an highly effective combo. Not going to lie, extending my reach of the ctx from 6-8 inches to 10-12 with the GPX could be a game changer.

With my limited use of the CTX in mud flats, I'd say that range is about right. An interesting note was odd shaped targets were harder to get a signal on. It was easy enough to hit on round musketballs, but the flattened and splattered ones were tough to mark. Then Brad with the GPX heard them loud and clear.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
A little bit of everything there. Looks like you had a blast. Nice post!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's to you on some very nice Historical Finds. These will display well.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I might brave a little time out there again soon. I haven't been able to get out since my last hunt right after the storm. I had this past weekend off but had stuff to catch up on around the house after a 9 straight days work schedule. I have this Sat, Sun and Mon off so I might take one of those days. I'm itching to get back out and get on to something!

Keep up the good work buddy, we'll link up again soon

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't get him away from that dang display case now. I wait and wait on my daily relic pics but he claims he's"working". All of a sudden he's working? His neighbor's tell me they can see him dancing around in the house holding an object in his hand. What ya gonna do with him now? As far as a trip...he needs to come down and find one to match.

Absolutely, we need to put together a group hunt for those damn Yankees :laughing7:

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was my thought buddy. That GPX can take you to places you never thought possible. It is perfect for picking up small pewters and cufflinks as well. I dug a kg and a few buttons at a tiny site that I hunted quiet with the T2. I had also used the 15" coil on the T2. One tombac was at least 15" and was loud and clear both ways. At this point in the game this is how I look at things. You and I have hunted some incredible sites and recovered some amazing items from those sites. I've always wondered if I'm leaving a few more amazing items down deep. I would pay a lot of money to get more in he's of depth out of a machine. To get an extra 8-10" gives me the satisfaction of knowing that if it's there it's coming home with me. I'm not going to lie....a few trips out with the GPX I wanted to wrap it around a tree. Something clicked this past weekend. I started to hear things a bit differently. I dug way more keepers. If your sites are not iron infested I think it would be a fantastic addition to the already impressive family. If you want to speak with a true expert about one we can tell you who to call/email my friend

Thanks again for the help Abe, Brad also took the time to get me spun up on on the capabilities and limitations of the machine. I've got one particular site that had produced a handful of Rev pewters that has gone silent... I have to believe there is more just out of the CTX range. My favorite sites are coastal, may need to get you and Brad down here and get a demo :laughing7:

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you Doug enough stuff to open a relic shop. Terrific finds. Congrats

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job. What a haul. I hope you find nore.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for the help Abe, Brad also took the time to get me spun up on on the capabilities and limitations of the machine. I've got one particular site that had produced a handful of Rev pewters that has gone silent... I have to believe there is more just out of the CTX range. My favorite sites are coastal, may need to get you and Brad down here and get a demo :laughing7:

Say the word brother lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread