spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was lucky to learn the value of earning money at a young age. If there was something I wanted to buy, I would normally have to come up with 1/2 the funds and my parents would cover he rest. I know that I was already working and hustling to make money since the age of eight. I remember in the summertime getting up early every morning to make the "bottle run". I would comb the neighborhood looking for soda bottles, the small 12oz would get you $0.02 each and if your were lucky you hit the "mother lode" by finding the family size 32oz bottle that would earn you $0.05. You could work all morning and make $0.50 cents upwards to $0.75 on a good day.

By the time I turned 9 I was big enough to deliver groceries for the local A&P. I tell you I felt like a big man peddling their tri-carts. The bike portion was the size of a normal bicycle, but the front had 2 wheels on the side of a large container that held the orders. The store I worked for had 3 of these carts, so you had to get there early in order to get one. I guess it was akin to the shape-ups on the piers. Anyway, the faster you worked the more you made. The tough part was the actual delivery, not one person that I remember lived below the 4th floor.. There were plenty of times you would have to make 2-3 trips up 5 flights of stairs to make anywhere from a dime to a quarter. The summer you would sweat and feel wiped out by noon, and in the winter you had the problem of trying to navigate the streets in the snow. Your take for a mornings work ran between 1-2 dollars.

In the early teens you made money doing odd jobs, shoveling snow and sometimes helping stores load their stock. Putting out the garbage cans for the supper was another good money maker. Even though they were heavy you would make a dollar, maybe two moving the full cans up to the street for pick-up. It made no difference what I was doing so long as I was earning some cash.

I think I was 16 when I was finally able to get my working papers and find a real part time job. That 1st real job was a page at the library and I worked 3 hours every day after school and 1/2 a day on Saturday. In High school I held a job in a local "head shop", selling posters, records, and incense. My weekend was spent working for the local German deli, cutting meat, and filling soda and beer cases.

Then again everything was cheap when I was 8 you had penny candy, 10, or 15 cent sodas, 5 or 10 cent chips and movies were only 50 cents for a double feature.

what did you do to make a buck :dontknow:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
In Britain in the 60's - 70's we also had the "return bottle run". As we were all little thieving gits where i grew up our method was simple. The local soft drinks factory was just up the road and backed onto a large public park. Come nightfall,20 kids or so would "commando" through the back gardens of the closest houses,over the factory wall,and into the park with 10 - 20 crates of pop! We'd spend all night and the next day drinking and making ourselves sick,then take the empties back to the shop and get a "grown up" to buy us smokes! :icon_thumright:

The legitimate jobs were boring in comparison and usually paid less. (ain't that always the way? lol)
Washing cars, mowing lawns, cleaning windows, running errands to the shops etc etc,could usually get me £5..about 7-8 dollars,which was a lot in those days!
Hard work (no electric lawnmowers or weedwhackers in them days lol) but good times! :)

Oh...there also used to be a golf course near us and we'd spend a lot of the summer diving into it's lakes,grabbing all the golf balls from the muddy bottom,then sell them to passing golfers. Made (and wasted) a LOT of money doing that!! :headbang:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tayopa, fortunately in my time church wasn't a day long thing. I was home by 10:30am the latest. Still plenty of daylight for our missions.

Dano, we had few lawns, and surely no golf courses in my area. I literally grew up in a concrete jungle, one block had a house with a raised flowerbed and bushes, the end of the block was another corner house with a yard, peach trees and bushes. The one thing that didn't differ between us is that you really broke a sweat to make a few dollars. Then again, they were some of the best times of my life.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Living near a good fishing lake, I sold worms ,crickets, night crawlers,corn worms And bailed out a lot of boats. Plus my 100 paper paper route. Bob

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also did the "bottle run" liberating empty bottles from their dark and dusty corners in garages of neighbors.
Then when about 8-10 I would hawk flower and vegetable seeds, Christmas cards or anything else door to door that I could scheme up. Didn't the "prizes" look so GOOD?
After a year of that, it was a paper route until I was about 15.
At about 16 I got a job after school at a gas station as the night manager. That was back when gas stations were "full service." Before unleaded gas. We pumped Ethyl! :tongue3:
I'd get out of school and pedal my bike about 8 miles one-way and work an 8 hour shift then pedal home. Shortly after starting at the gas station, I was able to save up for my first motorized vehicle, a 1964 Honda 305 Dream with a "Scrambler" front end motorcycle.
Seems like I been workin' ever since... :wink:

Best,
Scott

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helping a friend with a paper route earned the right to go home with them an their folks would give ya a treat of some kind.
My grandmother worked alot of cafe jobs and I earned $ by going to work with her an the bosses would let me eat free for waiting tables. Even at 6 years old I could take drinks to tables an take orders. Plus the people though oh what a sweet little girl an would tip me. Hhee! I would do bottle return in between. Lawn clean up for folks, running errands up town. Never had a problem as a kid making a little $ every week espically in the summer !

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading the replies, I got a great laugh. Why, you ask? Well I can tell you that lonesomebob, is really true to his nickname as he's the only one so far not to make the dreaded "bottle run". :laughing7:

The funny and sad thing about this story is that I know in NYC there is a $0.05 return on all canned soda, yet I literally see 100's of them laying around waiting to be picked up. I guess today's kids don't want to get their little hands dirty. :tongue3: When I would see those cans, I just wished they were bottles in my time, I'd be retired by now :laughing7:

Funny how the jobs differed depending on where you lived, city, suburbs, or country. At the age of 8 I had heard about suburbs and country, but never experienced living in them. They were just places to visit.

Loving your posts and seeing how a kid made ends meet.. Thanks.......

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not as a kid but, years ago on Jeffs day off we would walk the highway an pick up cans! We started on the edge of town and just walked plus a bar was across the highway, good way to make extra $ an many times ... since our daughter was having surgiers it pd for gas and food for the out of town trips.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recycling aluminum cans and bottles. Dumpster diving and disassembling old vacuum cleaner motors, and other machinery for the copper and recyclables. Found a lot of treasures dumpster diving back then. :)

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Recycling aluminum cans and bottles. Dumpster diving and disassembling old vacuum cleaner motors, and other machinery for the copper and recyclables. Found a lot of treasures dumpster diving back then. :)

Also, as I walked to school as a kid, no bus ridin' here, on trash days, people would throw out stuff like vacuum cleaners and other things. I'd grab 'em and "ditch" them and pick them back up on the way home and tear into them and most times I could fix the item and resell it. If I couldn't fix it, no problem; it cost me nothing and I had "parts" for the next score.

Best,
Scott

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Ohh ohh..i forgot copper wire! :o
Lmao, when i was a kid they were "remodernising" our area,and knocking down streets and streets of houses. Of course we were in like a flash,ripping out all the wiring and lead/copper piping and boilers. Nights were spent around big bonfires melting plastic and rubber insulation from the wire lol. That was a good earner. Also there wasn't a church for miles around that didn't have a leaky roof after we stole all the lead flashings! Yeah yeah kids are heathens i know. :laughing9:

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
We had a brand of pop (soda) that was worth 5 cents a bottle. I think it was Regent. But the only store
that took them was about 2 miles away. So we would hide them away until we got a bunch & load up a
red wagon & pull them to the store on a Saturday when we had more time. Remember the big chest
style pop machines where you had to lift up the lid & slide out the bottle. There weren't too many left
around when I was a kid, but we would raid them. Lift up the lid, pop the top off with a bottle opener,
pull out a piece of vacuum hose or a straw, lay across the machine & suck the pop out of the bottle like
a big hummingbird while your buddies kept a lookout & waited for their turn. Makes me laugh thinking of it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can add me to the list of pop bottle collectors. I'd also do the lawn mowing thing in the spring and summers, raked leaves in the fall and shoveled snow in the winter. Had a paper route for a while. The local A&P and Safeway didn't have a delivery service but I would carry bags to peoples cars for quarters and such. I used to muck horse stalls when we lived in Virginia for extra money, that came with riding privileges too so that was a real good deal. I used to catch carp at lake Accotink dam and sell them to the oriental people that would be there. All in all I did what I could to make an extra buck for myself.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
I had a 220 paper route, folded pizza boxes for free pizza, pulled weeds for free candy at the local corner stores, cut lawns, shoveled snow, cleaned up leaves. Now that I look back I feel like a bum doing that haha.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I had had 2 deli jobs at different times, one I got straight pay for, the other I got Roast Beef Hero's stacked with meat, cheese, and potato salad on-top.. So that food was my pay... I guess like any kid of our time, we looked for an opportunity to make some money by just asking neighbors if they needed a hand in something.

Someone had to help support my comic, card, soda and chip monkey :tongue3:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also one summer I "worm wrangled."
I would go out after a hard rain and collect night crawlers and sell them to the bait shop. I saved up enough from that to send off for a fishing sinker mold.
I then collected lead wheel weights from the sides of streets, the corner "filling station" that also did tire repairs and also any old lead plumbing.
I made sinkers and sold them to the bait shop.

I think I liked worm wrangling better... :tongue3:

Best,
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread