Hypothetically speaking

Coach K

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hypothetically, If a small debris field including one cannon is found in the keys that "may" be an Spanish wreck that is "not" known or been located before through my research and talking with a few folks that know the area, how does one file for a permit to survey the said site and what are the chances of a recovery permit being granted at a later date?

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Coach. Welcome
At this moment in Florida history, your chances of an exploration permit are equal to your chance of getting a recovery permit.
Zer0.
First, make sure that no one else has it permitted...
You can go dive the site and do some site survey kind of stuff as long as it is not in some prohibited area like the FKNMS
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I cannot in good faith advise someone to try to file for a permit after that happened to Bobby Pritchett and GME. He spent millions surveying, found a bunch of wrecks and was refused a recovery permit by the State for all of them.
Maybe a better plan is to casually look around and ogle what is there before you give it to the State of Florida.
Do some more independent looking around and hope something changes
Best of luck

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Hypothetically, If a small debris field including one cannon is found in the keys that "may" be an Spanish wreck that is "not" known or been located before through my research and talking with a few folks that know the area, how does one file for a permit to survey the said site and what are the chances of a recovery permit being granted at a later date?

If you can't get a permit, but want to see a big ol' cat fight you can tell Spain and Florida about it, and then sit back with a nice cold case of brewskis and watch the fun.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't get a permit, but want to see a big ol' cat fight you can tell Spain and Florida about it, and then sit back with a nice cold case of brewskis and watch the fun.
My kind of sport

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

The State of Florida will roll over like a needy house dog needing a belly rub to accommodate Spain, if their recent alliance with France is any indication.

Indiana_Jonz

Jun 10, 2004
Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, thanks to all who replied. I presumed that may be the case after performing additional research. Since my original post, I have GPSd the site. Some day maybe I’ll be able to do something about it. I sure as he&& am not giving it to Florida, bunch of thieves from what my research shows. Archies would rather allow the materials to desintegraré than allow us to bring them to light. Same with the Bahamas.. have sites there but can’t do a thing about it.

Guardrailnickel

Jan 11, 2020
Pa. 19512
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it may be a long shot but if you are willing to ask for help in FL. go to the Mel fisher Museum. Just remember if you don't ask the answer is always no.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Hypothetically speaking, if you find the remains of a treasure chest full of gold, but absolutely no signs of a "wreck" in the immediate vicinity and there isn't a shipwreck around it for a hundred miles, who has the rights to it? In other words, let's say the treasure chest just fell off an unknown ship and sunk to the bottom intact. If it is in international waters, how could any country snatch it from your grasp?

Indiana_Jonz

Jun 10, 2004
Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Midden monster, unfortunately the site is not in international waters which may or may not allow for easier retrieval if it were. I understand your logic completely but the only way to extract the cargo which may or not be there is to remove it in a way that I’m not willing to do at this point. The cannon and silver discs will be retrieved after I complete my reconnoitering of the area and determine it can be done . .. the state has given those of us little choice in the matter.the head archeologists of the state need an enema between the ears to flush out their stupidity and bias toward us.
In my case, I will do things in such a way as to render them null and void..

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good for you Jonz. Go get it! So I guess you are Coach K?

OP
OP
C

Coach K

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hypothetically speaking, if an individual found a coral encrusted cannon which appears to be bronze, how would one attempt to remove the conglomerate of coral surrounding the cannon? I'm presuming Reverse Electrolysis and if that is the case, approximately how long would said operation take? In addition, would the same removal process work if say two round silver discs were encased in the same conglomerate?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread