What's new

I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2009
Messages
4,508
Reaction score
975
Golden Thread
0
Location
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

Hello , Found ,today, on another old ,but newer than most wagon trail . I am not sure, want to check ,because some things are too good to be true. Is the silver a newer,Commemrative , or from colonial time? size 1 & 1/2 " W x1 & 3/8" H *1776* on front Blank on back , silver ,Weight 1/4+ oz. ..How about the copper ,looks like a raised flower or some design in the center. Need some id . Thanks for any help. Looks like a solved mystery ,you guys are Amazing!!! Thank You All , :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • 1776 silver  and copper coin.webp
    1776 silver and copper coin.webp
    5.2 KB · Views: 842
  • 1776 silver  and copper coin 001.webp
    1776 silver and copper coin 001.webp
    4.1 KB · Views: 797
  • 1776 silver  and copper coin 007.webp
    1776 silver and copper coin 007.webp
    7.8 KB · Views: 781
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

The silver bullion looks like a rampant lion with CB or BC on the shield/badge and serial numbers on the bottom. I dont know what it is but can we have something for size in the pic and a clearer pic of the copper may help.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

Kind of hard to tell from the pic but the copper piece looks like it could be a colonial flat button that has been beat on. Can you tell what it says around the hump in the middle? I'm thinking the hump is the shank that has been smashed and the writing is the makers backmark. the silver piece is cool
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

It appears to be a 1 ounce size if its thicker than the dollar.. Weigh it and see if its silver bullion.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

bigcypresshunter said:
It appears to be a 1 ounce size if its thicker than the dollar.. Weigh it and see if its silver bullion.
Very slightly thinner than the dollar , about 1/4 oz. + Thanks for your help bigcypresshunter
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

CMDiamonddawg said:
bigcypresshunter said:
It appears to be a 1 ounce size if its thicker than the dollar.. Weigh it and see if its silver bullion.
Very slightly thinner than the dollar , about 1/4 oz. + Thanks for your help bigcypresshunter
I had a silver buillion that was .999 silver, the same basic rectangle size and came in 1 oz. numbered bars. Maybe its not buillion. I dont know what it is. :dontknow: Im not much help. Maybe metric? How many grams?
 

Attachments

  • silver.webp
    silver.webp
    3.6 KB · Views: 909
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

It kinda resembles the Anglo Far-East Bullion Company but its not a match. CB maybe the B is for bullion. :dontknow: Weigh it in grams to see what we got. I still think the 1776 is a serial number not a date but the monogram is old style.
 

Attachments

  • bullion.webp
    bullion.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 818
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

bigcypresshunter said:
It kinda resembles the Anglo Far-East Bullion Company but its not a match. CB maybe the B is for bullion. :dontknow: Weigh it in grams to see what we got. I still think the 1776 is a serial number not a date but the monogram is old style.

Agreed, definately a serial number (might be silver), but my guess is its a medallion (type thing) which was in a presentation pack of uncirculated coins. The letters in the Shield look like GB to me, might help in the research.

The copper item is a squashed button with broken shank.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

Piece of jewelry :dontknow: 1776 serial number would be nice to have :sunny:
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

Yeah most likely you guys got the ID. Awesome find CMDiamonddawg and great number on it :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

Your "1776" item is a "charge coin" from Gimbel's, or Gimbel Brothers, department store in Philadelphia, PA. Note the "GB" monogram on the rampant lion's shield. 1776 is the account number. Charge coins were used like credit cards. To make a purchase on credit, a customer could present his coin to the clerk, who would then charge the amount to that account. Gimbel's of Philadelphia issued at least three varieties of charge coins, two rectangular and one round. Gimbel's of New York had them, too, but theirs were of a totally different design. I'm not sure just when or how long they were in use, but I believe it was sometime around 1920-40.

Here's another example:

il_430xN.59750613.webp

Update: Your variety is listed as #PA 750 T in Ed Dence's A Catalog of Mercantile Stores Charge Coins.

Dence also reports a Gimbel's charge coin from Pittsburgh; but again, of different design.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

PBK said:
Your "1776" item is a "charge coin" from Gimbel's, or Gimbel Brothers, department store in Philadelphia, PA. Note the "GB" monogram on the rampant lion's shield. 1776 is the account number. Charge coins were used like credit cards. To make a purchase on credit, a customer could present his coin to the clerk, who would then charge the amount to that account. Gimbel's of Philadelphia issued at least three varieties of charge coins, two rectangular and one round. Gimbel's of New York had them, too, but theirs were of a totally different design. I'm not sure just when or how long they were in use, but I believe it was sometime around 1920-40.

Great ID PBK :icon_thumright: Account number 1776 is Awesome :sunny:
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

That was a smokin' ID. :notworthy: :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

Many Thanks Crusader :notworthy:
CRUSADER said:
bigcypresshunter said:
It kinda resembles the Anglo Far-East Bullion Company but its not a match. CB maybe the B is for bullion. :dontknow: Weigh it in grams to see what we got. I still think the 1776 is a serial number not a date but the monogram is old style.

Agreed, definately a serial number (might be silver), but my guess is its a medallion (type thing) which was in a presentation pack of uncirculated coins. The letters in the Shield look like GB to me, might help in the research.

The copper item is a squashed button with broken shank.
:notworthy:
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

Many Thanks bigcypresshunter
bigcypresshunter said:
It appears to be a 1 ounce size if its thicker than the dollar.. Weigh it and see if its silver bullion.
:notworthy:
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

PBK said:
Your "1776" item is a "charge coin" from Gimbel's, or Gimbel Brothers, department store in Philadelphia, PA. Note the "GB" monogram on the rampant lion's shield. 1776 is the account number. Charge coins were used like credit cards. To make a purchase on credit, a customer could present his coin to the clerk, who would then charge the amount to that account. Gimbel's of Philadelphia issued at least three varieties of charge coins, two rectangular and one round. Gimbel's of New York had them, too, but theirs were of a totally different design. I'm not sure just when or how long they were in use, but I believe it was sometime around 1920-40.

Here's another example:




Update: Your variety is listed as #PA 750 T in Ed Dence's A Catalog of Mercantile Stores Charge Coins.

Dence also reports a Gimbel's charge coin from Pittsburgh; but again, of different design.
:notworthy: Nailed it!! Many Thanks PBK
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

Any time, CMD! :wink: :coffee2:
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

PBK said:
Your "1776" item is a "charge coin" from Gimbel's, or Gimbel Brothers, department store in Philadelphia, PA. Note the "GB" monogram on the rampant lion's shield. 1776 is the account number. Charge coins were used like credit cards. To make a purchase on credit, a customer could present his coin to the clerk, who would then charge the amount to that account. Gimbel's of Philadelphia issued at least three varieties of charge coins, two rectangular and one round. Gimbel's of New York had them, too, but theirs were of a totally different design. I'm not sure just when or how long they were in use, but I believe it was sometime around 1920-40.

Here's another example:




Update: Your variety is listed as #PA 750 T in Ed Dence's A Catalog of Mercantile Stores Charge Coins.

Dence also reports a Gimbel's charge coin from Pittsburgh; but again, of different design.

Nice ID, would have never guessed that one. One thought comes to mind, what if I found one & tried to use it, I assume they checked ID as well :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: I am dreaming .. are these for real ?

Well someone lost their charge card. Great ID. :hello2: I would never find it googling CB lol. Couldnt see the little picture. Is it silver?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom