What's new

I am new to Md (2weeks). looking for treasure. Found.

That is a "once in a lifetime" kind of find, and should be celebrated. I'd love to see a series of individual coin pictures from that group. Front and back. Congratulations.
 
That is some excellent beginner's luck! I vote Banner.
What part of the world are you living/detecting?
 
Absolutely AMAZING FINDS !!!! Please tell us more on how you found them ? What detector were you using ? What brought you to the area to hunt ?
I have been learning to use my mine lab manticore for 2 weeks. Spending a few hrs after work nightly sweeping. I was finding horseshoes and brass. Had walked the area once without my detector because I ran out of battery. I looked forward to hunting this area and came back a few days later. After changing settings on my machine I went out. I had decided on this location after I found a website. Were I could impose a map from the 1800s on a satellite image from today. I found where stage and rail routes were.
I went out around 6pm. I like hunting these remote areas because there is less trash. Most targets are horseshoes, bullet lead and casings. After hunting for a few hrs and not getting many hits I threw out my made treaseure. Silver necklace, few coins and a small nugget from my mother In-law. Just so I could hear what it sounded like on my machine and see the numbers.
Not even 10 steps later my machine went nuts. I had maybe 5 min left of shooting light. I thought to myself probably just another horseshoe. But I decided this would be my last target. I moved the duff and all of the sudden I had a coin in my hand. Because it was getting dark and I knew there was another coin, so without even looking I put it in my pocket and found a second. In total I pulled out 12 that night. Went back the next day and found one more.
I wish I would have been patient and investigated the coins as I found them but I didn’t. I have on back numerous times a looked. I am seeing bent trees and markers that lead me to believe that there’s more. I am still getting high target numbers so hopefully when I go back after my family vacation I will find a box. 🤣
I believe the coins were strewn and not stacked all in a 1 ft square. Could have been spilled or who knows. Again I wish I would have had patience so that I would be able to answer all of my crazy questions. My imagination runs wild.
My goal or dream is to find a gold coin but 13 Morgan’s is a pretty good start.
 
That is some excellent beginner's luck! I vote Banner.
What part of the world are you living/detecting?
U.S. Pacific Northwest. Vigilante country. 😉
 
Last edited:
That is a "once in a lifetime" kind of find, and should be celebrated. I'd love to see a series of individual coin pictures from that group. Front and back. Congratulations.
I can do that. 3 coins are cc and the rest are a mix of phili and San Fran. Had them appraised by a gold and coin dealer. He would give me $50-60each and the Carson city ones at $125 each. But I think they are worth more. Been in the dirt for 100 plus years.
 
That is a "once in a lifetime" kind of find, and should be celebrated. I'd love to see a series of individual coin pictures from that group. Front and back. Congratulations.
My family thought I was crazy. Now they know I am. 🤣
 
Don't clean them if you are planning on selling them. They will hang you by your heels in the town square if you clean them.
 
ok my friend, by no means please don’t take offense to what I’m about to say, just hear me out on this.

As you are a new member here on TreasureNet, you are welcomed here and you are now part of a large community.
It amazes me how many times a new detectorist finds something so incredible, they suddenly become a member of TreasureNet. Their first post is so random and out of the blue, that folks who’ve been reading and posting on here for over 20 years are like what??? And roll their eyes at another weird and unlikely post.
Thing is, there are thousands and thousands of posts on here, and the finds are either way better, or not even close to your finds. I can’t wrap my head around what it’d be like to find 13 Morgans, but your posts about them are kinda meh…from the jump you got guys doubting and kinda mocking you, waiting for more info. Your photo of proof is just that, a photo of 12 dirty Morgans. Your description of them is kinda vague, and the accompanying backstory could be construed as rambling and fantastical.
Now it maybe true that you have limited knowledge of coins, and that’s ok. So happens that Morgans are the most studied, scrutinized, valued, collected, and counterfeited coins in US numismatics. Here on Tnet, I’m sure nobody has found a dozen Morgans in a hole, and if they did, it’d be one of those legendary posts that carries on for months or years….and yours will to, provided that there’s more oomph to your finds.
And by that, I mean pics. Front and back of all coins. Not as much to prove what you’ve found, but all of us on here love silver porn. We love analyzing coins, armchair grading them, giving opinions as to grade and value, and giving you the best advice as to move forward with your finds, weather you keep or sell them.
Again, not trying to shade you or your finds, and respecting the rules of Tnet as best I can, I’m not saying you didn’t find them. Hope for you the best with your new collection of silver, and I hope you find more.
 
Put each one on a scale and post up the photo of the weight. Thanks
 
The Smoking Gun: Identical Re-engraved Dies
Look closely at the two coins stacked directly next to each other on the right side of the image:
  • Both coins show the exact same crisp white specks embedded inside the caked-on dirt.
  • Both coins display the identical curved "double rim" separation lip at the bottom edge.
  • The lettering "STATES OF" shows the exact same soft, rounded distortion on both pieces.
When the US Mint strikes coins, no two genuine coins leave the press with identical, microscopic environmental damage or identical, flawed transferred rim lips. Finding multiple coins with the exact same strike characteristics and artificially applied dirt patterns proves they were mass-produced in a modern workshop, likely using a single casting mold or a poorly made transfer die.

Screenshot 2026-06-20 at 8.01.49 AM.webp
 
Don't clean them if you are planning on selling them. They will hang you by your heels in the town square if you clean them.

ok my friend, by no means please don’t take offense to what I’m about to say, just hear me out on this.

As you are a new member here on TreasureNet, you are welcomed here and you are now part of a large community.
It amazes me how many times a new detectorist finds something so incredible, they suddenly become a member of TreasureNet. Their first post is so random and out of the blue, that folks who’ve been reading and posting on here for over 20 years are like what??? And roll their eyes at another weird and unlikely post.
Thing is, there are thousands and thousands of posts on here, and the finds are either way better, or not even close to your finds. I can’t wrap my head around what it’d be like to find 13 Morgans, but your posts about them are kinda meh…from the jump you got guys doubting and kinda mocking you, waiting for more info. Your photo of proof is just that, a photo of 12 dirty Morgans. Your description of them is kinda vague, and the accompanying backstory could be construed as rambling and fantastical.
Now it maybe true that you have limited knowledge of coins, and that’s ok. So happens that Morgans are the most studied, scrutinized, valued, collected, and counterfeited coins in US numismatics. Here on Tnet, I’m sure nobody has found a dozen Morgans in a hole, and if they did, it’d be one of those legendary posts that carries on for months or years….and yours will to, provided that there’s more oomph to your finds.
And by that, I mean pics. Front and back of all coins. Not as much to prove what you’ve found, but all of us on here love silver porn. We love analyzing coins, armchair grading them, giving opinions as to grade and value, and giving you the best advice as to move forward with your finds, weather you keep or sell them.
Again, not trying to shade you or your finds, and respecting the rules of Tnet as best I can, I’m not saying you didn’t find them. Hope for you the best with your new collection of silver, and I hope you find more.
Thank you for the insight and your interest in this thread.
I will keep playing in the woods. I get how far fetched my story is. And that’s what makes it more fun.
I am new to metal detecting and hooked for life.
I will post more pictures when I get home. And hopefully find something else in the next few weeks.
 
Thank you for the insight and your interest in this thread.
I will keep playing in the woods. I get how far fetched my story is. And that’s what makes it more fun.
I am new to metal detecting and hooked for life.
I will post more pictures when I get home. And hopefully find something else in the next few weeks.
The Smoking Gun: Identical Re-engraved Dies
Look closely at the two coins stacked directly next to each other on the right side of the image:
  • Both coins show the exact same crisp white specks embedded inside the caked-on dirt.
  • Both coins display the identical curved "double rim" separation lip at the bottom edge.
  • The lettering "STATES OF" shows the exact same soft, rounded distortion on both pieces.
When the US Mint strikes coins, no two genuine coins leave the press with identical, microscopic environmental damage or identical, flawed transferred rim lips. Finding multiple coins with the exact same strike characteristics and artificially applied dirt patterns proves they were mass-produced in a modern workshop, likely using a single casting mold or a poorly made transfer die.

View attachment 2257362I appreciate this. Maybe they are fake. Not sure why someone would put them where I found them. But finding them and believing them to be real is all I need l. I am grateful to be outdoors, out of my head, off the internet, away from politics and using my imagination.
I will post pictures when I get home. Appreciate y’all’s experience.

 
Congrats on a find of a lifetime ! :hello2:
 
The Smoking Gun: Identical Re-engraved Dies
Look closely at the two coins stacked directly next to each other on the right side of the image:
  • Both coins show the exact same crisp white specks embedded inside the caked-on dirt.
  • Both coins display the identical curved "double rim" separation lip at the bottom edge.
  • The lettering "STATES OF" shows the exact same soft, rounded distortion on both pieces.
When the US Mint strikes coins, no two genuine coins leave the press with identical, microscopic environmental damage or identical, flawed transferred rim lips. Finding multiple coins with the exact same strike characteristics and artificially applied dirt patterns proves they were mass-produced in a modern workshop, likely using a single casting mold or a poorly made transfer die.

View attachment 2257362
I will post pictures when I get home. Appreciate y’all’s experience.

That is a "once in a lifetime" kind of find, and should be celebrated. I'd love to see a series of individual coin pictures from that group. Front and back. Congratulations.
IMG_7281.webp

IMG_7282.webp
 
I have been. Still showing a few targets on my detector. I was told use a smaller coil for depth. Any truth to that?
A smaller coil will separate targets better in a trashy area. A larger coil will go deeper.
 
The Smoking Gun: Identical Re-engraved Dies
Look closely at the two coins stacked directly next to each other on the right side of the image:
  • Both coins show the exact same crisp white specks embedded inside the caked-on dirt.
  • Both coins display the identical curved "double rim" separation lip at the bottom edge.
  • The lettering "STATES OF" shows the exact same soft, rounded distortion on both pieces.
When the US Mint strikes coins, no two genuine coins leave the press with identical, microscopic environmental damage or identical, flawed transferred rim lips. Finding multiple coins with the exact same strike characteristics and artificially applied dirt patterns proves they were mass-produced in a modern workshop, likely using a single casting mold or a poorly made transfer die.

View attachment 2257362

A smaller coil will separate targets better in a trashy area. A larger coil will go deeper.
Thank you.
 
A few finds from today.
No coins today. I do still get a small high # faint target when I use the larger m15 coil that came with my manticore. Anyone have suggestions on setting up my machine?
So I just sat there trying to take it all in.
Sadly my imagination runs wild.
Anyone see the J carved in the base of the first tree? I don’t believe this to be Jesse James as he died before a few years before the last dated coin I found. But I can make out a T or a J.
The next 2 trees look deformed. The last one the stick in the crotch was sawed. And the small branches on the south side like 6 of them cut square and tight to the tree a number of years ago.
I’m sure I will be back soon. I thought at least 12 trees looked strange in this area.
What would 13 coins represent if anything? Could they spill out of a chest while someone was burying, did they fall out of someone’s pocket or purse. 🤣
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7287.webp
    IMG_7287.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7286.webp
    IMG_7286.webp
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7285.webp
    IMG_7285.webp
    3.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7284.webp
    IMG_7284.webp
    4.1 MB · Views: 37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom