I believe me and my little girl found a 1793 Flowing Hair Wreath Large Cent!!

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out with my 9 yr old for an hour tonight. She loves to help me with the pin pointer. First hole we pop this large cent. It dried off really quickly so I waited until we got home to clean it up. Didn't take me too long to know I had something different. Let me know if im wrong but If im right I'm over the moon that my little girl laid hands on it first.
20230520_201439.jpg
20230520_201505.jpg
20230520_184200.jpg
20230521_104003.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 65
OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish it was in better shape but still, I think it's a banner worthy find. Congrats to you both, treasure it.
Yeah once i realized what I had I stopped cleaning it. I'll take my time on it and post pics in a few days. Actually of all the coppers I've found on this farm, this coin is in good shape compared to the others. Harsh fertlizers and soil.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah once i realized what I had I stopped cleaning it. I'll take my time on it and post pics in a few days. Actually of all the coppers I've found on this farm, this coin is in good shape compared to the others. Harsh fertlizers and soil.
It's definitely what you thought it was and there is plenty of good detail, so over the moon I would be. I really don't think we could expect one of these to be in better shape anyways. I wouldn't clean it if it were mine.

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's definitely what you thought it was and there is plenty of good detail, so over the moon I would be. I really don't think we could expect one of these to be in better shape anyways. I wouldn't clean it if it were mine

It's definitely what you thought it was and there is plenty of good detail, so over the moon I would be. I really don't think we could expect one of these to be in better shape anyways. I wouldn't clean it if it were mine.
I stopped once I knew what I had. When we dug it I thought it was a run of the mill largie. Like I said it dried quickly so I didn't want to jack it up. Got home and tooth picked it. Stopped right there

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah2

May 8, 2023
Colorado mountains
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, XP Deus II
That is a very rare and the earliest of Federal coinage. You have a stellar find there. It's crusty, but you found it, and that is what matters. Well, you found it with your daughter so I guess we should make sure to spread the credit around. You tell her that she made a wonderful find, and one that very few people will ever get a chance at. I am also going to give you a banner vote.

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a very rare and the earliest of Federal coinage. You have a stellar find there. It's crusty, but you found it, and that is what matters. Well, you found it with your daughter so I guess we should make sure to spread the credit around. You tell her that she made a wonderful find, and one that very few people will ever get a chance at. I am also going to give you a banner vote.
Indeed i did educate her on how rare of a coin we found. And its crusty but like i said earlier, atleast i could i.d. it. Most of the copper coins ihave found at this site have been toast so I 'm happy this one let me atleast i.d her.

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow that's an incredible find. Hope you're able to bring out some more details on it Congrats to you both
I think I'm done messing with it. I'm happy and satisfied. Cleaning any further would only make it worse in my opinion. I'll post some pics later.

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, it's her's now JohnnyMac! That's one heck of a find!
So I told my daughter today that it's time to put the coin in the coin book after days of her and I staring at it. She says,"We have to get a label maker an label the page" "Coins we found together" Folks that's what's all about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions