I believe these are scrapers

TXCreekWalker

Apr 6, 2023
Here is a group of three what I believe to be scrapers that I found recently from two different creeks about 7 miles apart in North Texas. I like the material on all of them, especially the knobby, caramel candy looking one. They all have that same upside-down J edge to them. I am sure there is a better way to describe that.
Scrapers 1.jpg

Here are the close ups of the individuals:
Lower Left of the quarter:
scrapers 9.jpg
Scrapers 3.jpg
scrapers 2.jpg
scrapers 5.jpg

Lower right of the quarter:
scrapers 8.jpg
scrapers 6.jpg
scrapers 7.jpg

And the top chewed up caramel looking one:

scrapers 13.jpg
scrapers 11.jpg
scrapers 15.jpg
scrapers 12.jpg

As I said, I think these are scrapers, however, my developing confidence in my ability to identify these can take a little shaking up if I am wrong.

Attachments

• scrapers 10.jpg
    scrapers 10.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 7
  • scrapers 14.jpg
    scrapers 14.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Upvote 3

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Here is a group of three what I believe to be scrapers that I found recently from two different creeks about 7 miles apart in North Texas. I like the material on all of them, especially the knobby, caramel candy looking one. They all have that same upside-down J edge to them. I am sure there is a better way to describe that.
View attachment 2086676

Here are the close ups of the individuals:
Lower Left of the quarter:
View attachment 2086679 View attachment 2086678 View attachment 2086677 View attachment 2086680

Lower right of the quarter:
View attachment 2086681 View attachment 2086682 View attachment 2086683

And the top chewed up caramel looking one:

View attachment 2086686 View attachment 2086685 View attachment 2086688 View attachment 2086689

As I said, I think these are scrapers, however, my developing confidence in my ability to identify these can take a little shaking up if I am wrong.
I can’t tell enough from the photos. I have the same doubts with some of my pieces. That Carmel colored rock is a pretty one. The only scrapers I have confidence in IDing are ones with very obvious man-worked edging. Good luck. Someone will have better info on yours.

OP
OP
T

TXCreekWalker

Apr 6, 2023
I can’t tell enough from the photos. I have the same doubts with some of my pieces. That Carmel colored rock is a pretty one. The only scrapers I have confidence in IDing are ones with very obvious man-worked edging. Good luck. Someone will have better info on yours.
I know what you mean. My brain seems to default to "scraper" when I find a tool or what I think could be a tool that is not obviously something else. I am working on conquering that tendency. I do look for beveled edges, but I have heard that is not universal.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions