I crossed a small one off my wish list last week...very small.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Other then my work lunchtime hunts which are all park hunts due to time restrictions I don't get out much. I was off last Monday for MLK so I snuck out for a few hours. Headed to a farm I enjoy hunting. This farm has been pounded by hundreds of people but stuff still pop out if you take it slow. After a couple of hours I had a bunch of farm junk (I like to dig everything here), a slightly bent skeleton key and three coins which is very good for this site in one hunt. Two coins were toasted coppers: one large copper and one the size of a nickel.

The third coin I thought before digging it was going to be a piece of a aluminum can then I found this little bugger. (The dime and half dime are for size comparison) My first trime.

Now I want a cut Spanish silver which I will have to head south for since they usually don't turn up in the northeast...one day.

NJ

rsz_trime_front.jpg

rsz_trime_back.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find! Its in Very good condition too, Just goes to show no place is ever completely worked out. :icon_thumright:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The third coin I thought before digging it was going to be a piece of a aluminum can then I found this little bugger. (The dime and half dime are for size comparison) My first trime.

Welcome to the club! They do make an absolutely delightful lil surprise don't they. I have one I got way back when I started but, I dinged mine. Outside that it's in wonderful condition too. Guess they don't sink too well do they.

WTG!

HH!

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the comments.

Whad,
Thanks. Sometimes you can see where a plow hit a coin but this little coin looks like she dodges the plow pretty well. I can see how easy it would be to lose this tiny coin you would think there would be more found but your coil has to be right over it to pick it up. At first it was covered in mud and I thought it was a small washer. Then I did not see a hole so I gave it a light swipe and the star popped out at me then I knew exactly what I found. Was a nice little surprise...hopefully it warms up a bit and I can get back out there in the next week or so. I love finding the older silver.

HH!

NJ

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey alright nice work man.That's a little bitty booger ain't it.congrats

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin NJ and a tough one to cross off the list. Although VA is home to most of the cut Spanish silver, I dug my only one in CT so there's a decent chance for you to get on in the NE. I think SC reigns supreme when it comes to holed Spanish silver, dug a bunch of those here :)

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments.

Whad,
Thanks. Sometimes you can see where a plow hit a coin but this little coin looks like she dodges the plow pretty well. I can see how easy it would be to lose this tiny coin you would think there would be more found but your coil has to be right over it to pick it up. At first it was covered in mud and I thought it was a small washer. Then I did not see a hole so I gave it a light swipe and the star popped out at me then I knew exactly what I found. Was a nice little surprise...hopefully it warms up a bit and I can get back out there in the next week or so. I love finding the older silver.

HH!

NJ

Waiting for warm myself. I found mine right up next to an old tree. It was basically sitting right on top. Probably held up by a root. I was a beginner and not as good at pinpointing so, ding! :(

Still, a very nice coin and quite the surprise!

HH!

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coin NJ and a tough one to cross off the list. Although VA is home to most of the cut Spanish silver, I dug my only one in CT so there's a decent chance for you to get on in the NE. I think SC reigns supreme when it comes to holed Spanish silver, dug a bunch of those here :)

I read this article a few years back but really enjoyed it: http://numismatics.org/wikiuploads/CNL/Pistareens.pdf Maybe time to read it agian. I've found two Spanish cobs and three other spanish coins so far. Kept the cobs but gave the others away...they were in aweful shape and thought they would make others more happy then just sitting in a drawer.

BTW: Love your avatar...that one is still on my list too...lol.

HH!!

NJ

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job,Thanks for sharing!!

HH John

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know how far south. I've run across cut silver in Maryland. Good luck!

Yes...I'm sure they can be found up and down the east coast but they are much more common in the Virginia area and further south. Although with Maryland just north of that I can see some being used there. I'm in central New Jersey and although not impossible it is highly unlikely. It seems like the Tobacco states are littered with them...lol.

Thanks

NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great little coin. Congratulations! Some day I hope to find one myself.

Good luck...it took me 6 years to find this one. Not as long as Mike but it felt that way.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds N.J.THer!!!
What did you dig those up with? A pick axe? :)
I haven't even tried inland around me.
The ground is still frozen.
Obviously you reap the rewards of going out in the frozen terra firma.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds N.J.THer!!!
What did you dig those up with? A pick axe? :)
I haven't even tried inland around me.
The ground is still frozen.
Obviously you reap the rewards of going out in the frozen terra firma.

LOL..it was right before the deep freeze. The ground was very muddy and easy to dig in. With the 10 pounds of mud stck to each foot I actually would have rather the ground be a little frozen. I have not been out since this hunt but a first always gets my blood pumping so I may try to get out this weekend. Maybe hit the woods where the ground may not be frozen solid. We will see...

NJ

BTW Good to hear from you Ace...I haven't had much to post lately so been just lurking around on T-Net. If I don't get out this weekend I will post some find over the last month that I have not posted here yet.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS! The Thrice is on my bucket list too. It really IS tiny!

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATS! The Thrice is on my bucket list too. It really IS tiny!

Thanks Grant...how do you like that CTX 3030? A friend on mine purchased one but I have not seen it in action yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread