johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No idea but awesome buckles!!! the second one looks almost as if it could have been a homemade S. Carolina?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Johnny,yes that is kind of what I was thinking,and it was found west of the Mississ.!There has been S.Carolina buttons dug in these parts.
Creskol,it is solid brass,there is a very similiar one in Kerksis' book but that one has letters on either side of the Eagle?

Upvote 0

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
The first one is an 1850's - 60's militia or school plate . It's in O'Donnell's buckle book on page 354 Can you post a pic of the back of the second buckle. It looks like it could besome type of SC.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It has the likeness of a Southern Militia plate, but they were stamped brass with lead fill, and are scarce as hen's teeth.
Odd looking hooks, too.
Nice looking buckle though, but I guess I can't help with an ID.

Upvote 0

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tag....sorry no help on the buckles, just want to see where this one goes. Nice buckles, BTW. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
vayank54 said:
The first one is an 1850's - 60's militia or school plate . It's in O'Donnell's buckle book on page 354 Can you post a pic of the back of the second buckle. It looks like it could besome type of SC.

You are right!! By golly it looks exactly like it! That is a great ID! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all!
V that time frame fits the site,and I dont have O'donnells book,I need to fix that!Thanks
,I unfortunately dont have photos of the back,I didnt take pics because they were iron and rotted off,they appeared to be the bar and tab type.I am pretty sure it is solid,brass on the front brass on the back?
What is the rarity?

Upvote 0

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
O'Donnell doesn't have a rarity that I saw. I've seen quite a few lead filled buckle like that but never a solid brass one. If you could get a pic of the back of that other buckle I'd like to see it. Were there solder marks on the back? Also in the pic it looks like the palmetto? is a seperate piece. If so I was wondering how it was attached. It might actually be a cross belt plate and not a buckle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
O'Donnell doesn't have a rarity that I saw. I've seen quite a few lead filled buckle like that but never a solid brass one. If you could get a pic of the back of that other buckle I'd like to see it. Were there solder marks on the back? Also in the pic it looks like the palmetto? is a seperate piece. If so I was wondering how it was attached. It might actually be a cross belt plate and not a buckle.
Thanks Immensely V,that was a major rookie move not getting pics of the back,I should see him soon and will be sure to get the pics then,the more I think about the back the more I think the back was of odd configuration,so anything is possible.Here is a pic of the Palmetto piece off (the plate is upside down I notice now) :dontknow:

Attachments

• palm2.jpg
    palm2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 0

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
you're welcome and thanks I would like to see the back. I swear the plate part sure looks crude. Are there any tabs or rings on the palmento It probably had a wire to hold that onto the plate. Can't wait to see the back. I'm always interested to see something different.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread