I.D. help with old dug knife.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this for over a year now.. and still have very few answers. I think this could be an amazing find but I just don't know for sure. any help with the style or lettering will be a great help. the site this knife came from has yielded artifacts from Native American to 1600's Spanish.. And Second Seminole War. When found it was almost completely incased in sandstone that also had native American pottery chards in it. in one photo you can still see a piece stuck on the handle. Also on the left side of the handguard there is a very small secondary etching that appears to be the word paid.. as if a tax was paid on it. Again..Any info at all will be a great help...thank you.

IMG_20120621_000536-enhanced_1.jpg

ForumRunner_20121003_155435.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That last photo Might be misleading. For some reason I took the photo Holding it upside down. If you look at the cleaned up photo That's the proper Way... Oh I see what you mean.. If that was the case There was nothing left of the sheath Just a sandstone crust

Last edited:

3bead

Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2012
Arlington, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Accurate Information on Knife handle.

NO doubt on this one.

It's German and very early - mid to late 18th Century - the three missing rivets were usually acorns. They have always, and will always make them in this style. This is not American, or French, or Spanish and there is no chance otherwise. These were imported and used heavily in the Revolutionary War and would have been imported in the U.S. as early as the 1700s

Here is, a link describing one. Another link where one sold.
Here are two pictures of similar later hunting swords one from the 1800s and one from the mid 1900s.

Help with Germany hunting sword? -- myArmoury.com

Google Image Result for http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzI0WDE2MDA%3D/%24(KGrHqV,!psE-zm-pQ!YBP0tHDSs3Q~~60_1.jpg

Attachments

• $T2eC16ZHJHIE9nysezJQBQZGzEwL1Q~~60_35.JPG
    $T2eC16ZHJHIE9nysezJQBQZGzEwL1Q~~60_35.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 188
  • d421-hunting-hd-s.JPG
    d421-hunting-hd-s.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 159
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow..well well.. I have not I.D.'d that piece yet and your info is a HUGE help! Thank you!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread