What's new

I Didn’t Have Enough Money! (With Photograph)

Half-Hound

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
December 21, 2010
Los Angeles, California

After first calling, I stopped at my most productive bank yesterday (in a neighborhood said to be the ARM-PIT of the city) expecting to buy halves. But the teller that had them had locked them in the vault, and could not get to them at that time.

So I visited a different bank directly across the street – I do not have an account with this bank. The girl had three rolls, but I had only $28 cash! So I bought only two of the rolls. After leaving the bank, I looked at the coins. Both rolls contained silver coins. So I went back into the bank and traded a roll of clad for the third roll. As I had expected – MORE SILVER!

I think I drew attention from just being in that bank/neighborhood. I know I got a strange look when I asked about halves. And I especially got a strange look when I went back in to exchange rolls. But I also got 19 more silver halves. Only one was a 1964, the other eighteen were 40% coins. I now have found 240 Silver Halves.

Half-Hound
 

Attachments

  • LITE Halves 21 Dec 2010.webp
    LITE Halves 21 Dec 2010.webp
    84 KB · Views: 686
Upvote 0
Yes, Way to Go Half-Hound. Now that was a great score! Yep, I would have made a quick back track to get that last roll, too.

HSH,
apush :read2:
 
WOW!!! Great score!!!!
 
Nice going but you dumped at where you picked up. Tellers generally don't like that. I would've gone to another bank to exchange for cash and return later. You could say, I'm returning within half an hour so save the last roll. There's banks everywhere around every main street block. I can imagine in L.A., there's a ton of banks.
 
Sweet score there half-hound!!! :thumbsup:
 
Half Hound,
Are you still looking for the 1982-P and D kennedy for your collection?
rileyboy
 
Gr8 haul but bad idea on switch. Think long term. If you raise flags with the bad idea of switchin rolls you may lose a silver producing bank.
 
Quiksilver, in the long run we're all dead! I wanted those coins and I got them. A bird in the hand can be worth two in the bush. Anyway, you don't know these young teller girls. They are completely clueless as to what I am looking for. Absolutely clueless! If a 1924 Peace Dollar says, "ONE DOLLAR" then by God it is worth $1.

Rileyboy, thanks for the offer for the 1982 P but I must find it myself in the wild. Give me several more months to look for one, I may change my mind.

Half-Hound is hot on the trail of more treasure.
 
Nice score! :icon_thumleft:

The moral of the stroy is: ALWAYS take extra money with you. You just never know what opportunities may arise.
 
Half-Hound has too many ex-wives to carry much cash.
 
Nice score half hound i know what you mean about the wives . happy hunting Ron
 
1. I cant tell you how many banks that used to have silver now dont because of how a collector did his business. The latest was a bank that had a silver 64 sitting in its tray 1 month and the next telling me of how they learned about silver [from a collector asking them to look for certain dates].

2. If you cant carry cash maybe joining 1 or 2 of the big banks and leavin money in them may help. I keep cash in chase and wacovia/wells fargo for example.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom