I Didn’t Have Enough Money! (With Photograph)

Half-Hound

Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
December 21, 2010
Los Angeles, California

After first calling, I stopped at my most productive bank yesterday (in a neighborhood said to be the ARM-PIT of the city) expecting to buy halves. But the teller that had them had locked them in the vault, and could not get to them at that time.

So I visited a different bank directly across the street – I do not have an account with this bank. The girl had three rolls, but I had only $28 cash! So I bought only two of the rolls. After leaving the bank, I looked at the coins. Both rolls contained silver coins. So I went back into the bank and traded a roll of clad for the third roll. As I had expected – MORE SILVER!

I think I drew attention from just being in that bank/neighborhood. I know I got a strange look when I asked about halves. And I especially got a strange look when I went back in to exchange rolls. But I also got 19 more silver halves. Only one was a 1964, the other eighteen were 40% coins. I now have found 240 Silver Halves.

Half-Hound

Attachments

• LITE Halves 21 Dec 2010.jpg
    LITE Halves 21 Dec 2010.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 648
Upvote 0

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Way to Go Half-Hound. Now that was a great score! Yep, I would have made a quick back track to get that last roll, too.

HSH,
apush :read2:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Nice going but you dumped at where you picked up. Tellers generally don't like that. I would've gone to another bank to exchange for cash and return later. You could say, I'm returning within half an hour so save the last roll. There's banks everywhere around every main street block. I can imagine in L.A., there's a ton of banks.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Half Hound,
Are you still looking for the 1982-P and D kennedy for your collection?
rileyboy

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Gr8 haul but bad idea on switch. Think long term. If you raise flags with the bad idea of switchin rolls you may lose a silver producing bank.

OP
OP
Half-Hound

Half-Hound

Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
Quiksilver, in the long run we're all dead! I wanted those coins and I got them. A bird in the hand can be worth two in the bush. Anyway, you don't know these young teller girls. They are completely clueless as to what I am looking for. Absolutely clueless! If a 1924 Peace Dollar says, "ONE DOLLAR" then by God it is worth $1.

Rileyboy, thanks for the offer for the 1982 P but I must find it myself in the wild. Give me several more months to look for one, I may change my mind.

Half-Hound is hot on the trail of more treasure.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score! :icon_thumleft:

The moral of the stroy is: ALWAYS take extra money with you. You just never know what opportunities may arise.

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
Nice score half hound i know what you mean about the wives . happy hunting Ron

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
1. I cant tell you how many banks that used to have silver now dont because of how a collector did his business. The latest was a bank that had a silver 64 sitting in its tray 1 month and the next telling me of how they learned about silver [from a collector asking them to look for certain dates].

2. If you cant carry cash maybe joining 1 or 2 of the big banks and leavin money in them may help. I keep cash in chase and wacovia/wells fargo for example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread