I dont belive it.

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked my wife the other day to buy me a few rolls of Nickels do i could fill out my holes in my collection. well Easter had me busy with the kids and work so i did not get to open the rolls until last night and what a surprise i was in for.

I opened the first roll and found a few i didn't have, but in roll number 3 of 5 i got my first bis surprise, i noticed the roll was a little uneven before i opened it but i thought it was just the coins that was a little crocked inside, (I NEVER EXPECTED THIS) a 1880 5 dollar Gold Coin was laying there smiling at me.. could this be right,, was i so tired that my eyes was playing a game with me.. i asked my wife what she saw and she confirmed it YUP a 1880 5 dollar Gold coin.. GOD DANG.

now if anyone can help me grade it from the pictures i would be happy.

USTiger

Attachments

• 1880Front.jpg
    1880Front.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2,099
  • 1880Back.jpg
    1880Back.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 2,098
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ramfan

May 30, 2008
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett F250/F150
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think I will invest in a few $2 rolls for the heck of it........ nice find!

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
WOW!! WHAT A FIND!
Good thing you are collecting nickels or this would never have happened.
INCREDIBLE!!

John

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !!!

You got $210.00 for it Wow, that is amazing!!! Yea he cheated himself, no high standard grading company would grade it higher than VF-20 more so with the damage on it. Oh well, that is even better for you !!

Nice work !!

Keep @ It and HH!!

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tell your to please get me 50 rolls of nickles,then 50 more,then 50 more,........................oh yeah and 50 more! thanks :thumbsup:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
No kidding, I just posted the topic "I wonder..." on this forum a day ago and then bam someone finds a gold coin in a roll. Amaizing. Wish it were me but am happy for you.

Golden Silver

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful surprise! Is it in a customer roll or fed roll?

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find, I have never found a GOLD coin and if I did, I wouldn't sell it, unless someone wanted to pay me 1,000,000 for it. LOL Great, Great find!!!

HH, Ringfinder

P.S.
Where you live, I'm coming to your bank and buy all the nickel rolls. :)

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I'm speechless. Congrats :wav:

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I posted just last night that someone had to have found a gold coin while crh and it will more than likely happen again. It did!! Congratulations on a spectacular find ! :thumbsup:

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
about time us CRH get some credit
if this coin was dug it would be banner
no reason it shouldnt be anyways
BANNER
BANNER
BANNER

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Wow !!!

You got $210.00 for it Wow, that is amazing!!! Yea he cheated himself, no high standard grading company would grade it higher than VF-20 more so with the damage on it. Oh well, that is even better for you !!

Nice work !!

Keep @ It and HH!!

Actually the dealer also did well for himself. At 900.00 per oz for gold, the grey sheet shows the 5.00 liberty with motto at dealer bid of $295.00. A $5.00 gold coin weighs .242 oz so he paid you about melt value for the coin which is fair considering the problems. Also, right now finding gold coins to buy in a shop is difficult at best so there is generally a premium if you can find them.

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find! wow i bet that was 1 heck of a feeling :thumbsup: :thumbsup: best of luck in the future. Hh

OP
OP
USTiger

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow so many gr8 responces on my coin..

strickman said:
tell your to please get me 50 rolls of nickles,then 50 more,then 50 more,........................oh yeah and 50 more! thanks :thumbsup:
Sorry she only buys for me HEHE

Yinzi50 said:
Wonderful surprise! Is it in a customer roll or fed roll?
Customer Roll... dont think the fed's f Up that bad

John987 said:
WOW!! WHAT A FIND!
Good thing you are collecting nickels or this would never have happened.
INCREDIBLE!!

John
Nickels, Pennies, Dimes, Dollars, Coins from all the world.. you name it.. just happend to be nickels that day hehe

I want to thank you all for your responces,, and than you for thinking this is a Banner find.. lets see. for me finding the coin was gift enough..

UStiger

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
USTiger said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Awesome find, you won't get much of a grade out of it maybe VF-20 or Damaged since it has a little damage too. I would be happy to get $140 for a $0.05 investment.

Nice find,

Keep @ it and HH!!

Well the local Coin dealer is more generous than you guys.. he paid me 210$ for it.. no question asked.. he said the grade was XF but according to my red book that's only 170$ so he cheated himself

USTiger
my coin values magazine has a 1880 5 d. gold coin listed for 335.00 in XF ... the 2009 red book price are a bit out of date

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread