used Sort of like a Time Card.

or a Tool Check

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Re: I don't know... Have an idea

Jeff beat me to it again!

As he said, it could be a tool check or work check, or possibly claim check.

A tool check is handed in when a worker receives company-owned equipment in order to perform an assigned task. The tag is later reclaimed when the tools or other items are returned. This allows the company to keep track of its property and determine who is responsible for lost or damaged items.

A work check is handed in to a company clerk at the beginning of a shift or assignment, and then reclaimed when the shift ends or the job is done. Miners also use tags of this sort on ore cars, so that the proper individual or crew is credited for the load.

A claim check is given to someone who hands over personal property for temporary storage: baggage, parcels, hats & coats, clothing at gyms and pools, etc. The tag is presented to reclaim the item(s).

Unless there is a name or identifiable initials, then there is really no easy way to determine how the tag was used.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FFYez88

FFYez88

Greenie
Jul 24, 2006
E City N.C.

PBK said:
Jeff beat me to it again!

As he said, it could be a tool check or work check, or possibly claim check.

A tool check is handed in when a worker receives company-owned equipment in order to perform an assigned task. The tag is later reclaimed when the tools or other items are returned. This allows the company to keep track of its property and determine who is responsible for lost or damaged items.

A work check is handed in to a company clerk at the beginning of a shift or assignment, and then reclaimed when the shift ends or the job is done. Miners also use tags of this sort on ore cars, so that the proper individual or crew is credited for the load.

A claim check is given to someone who hands over personal property for temporary storage: baggage, parcels, hats & coats, clothing at gyms and pools, etc. The tag is presented to reclaim the item(s).

Unless there is a name or identifiable initials, then there is really no easy way to determine how the tag was used.

Thanks PBK, This makes sense for me, Way back in the day the property was owned by a man that worked on cars and such " Mr. Shivels" I think?
How far back do these go??? I also need to post a lil wrench thingy I found.

You Guys/Gals are Great Thanks.... I don't feel a dumb as I thought I would...LOL

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

FFYez88 said:
How far back do these go???

Over 100 years in some cases. Tool checks and work checks became common with industrialization and the growth of railroad, lumber, and mining companies.

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

I find a lot of cow tags with just a number on it like that. Think mine have been square here in MO though.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread