Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at the demolition site I have been working. It was at about 4" and lit up the dime icon on my GTI 2500. At first I thought it was a cast bullet as it was covered with tarnish and it was heavy for its size. The hole was blocked with dirt and couldn't been seen in the field. I found out it was brass when I soaked it in "Kaboom" for a couple of days and brushed the crud off with a bristle brush. That stuff will really do a job on copper, brass or bronze by the way and won't etch the surface. Back to the what is it. The hole is not threaded and goes nearly all the way through. The little brass sphere is not hollow however. The top has a faint pattern that looks mostly at random instead of any discernable design. It has a slight raised rib around the middle, the bottom half being smoothe. I've never seen anything like it and have no idea what it is or what it may have been used for. The dime is to give you a size reference. Monty

Attachments

• Resize of DSC00601.JPG
    Resize of DSC00601.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 595
  • Resize of DSC00602.JPG
    Resize of DSC00602.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 602
  • Resize of DSC00605.JPG
    Resize of DSC00605.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 590
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you guys are teasing about that gearshift thingy. I've looked for 3 days and still haven't found the rest of that darn car! ;D Monty

Upvote 0

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I'll show you a decorative nut......

It looks to me like a ball end from a chain pull for a Lamp or ceiling fan.

Attachments

• 6738298.jpg
    6738298.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 411
Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RealdeTayopa said:
Gear shift knob for a Morris minor or baby MG. heheh

Otherwise I must go wth SWR

Tropical Tramp
Morris minor or baby MG

Attachments

• Morris Minor.gif
    Morris Minor.gif
    98 KB · Views: 437
Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
It's a casting as you can see the mold parting line in the top view photo and since the decorative design is only on the "bottom" half, to me that means it was meant to only be seen from below. Therefore, my guess would be a light screw fixture for a ceiling lamp cover.
Also, because of the rough casting parting line, it was not meant to be grasped and pulled for a chain device... my opinion of course, all due respects.
The threaded part missing would be a nylon insert because the brass knob and steel threaded bit from the light fixture could interact and galvanic corrosion could take place seizing the ball to the threads potentially.

Nice heavy find Monty!

Smiles!
BDoo

Upvote 0

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
SWR said:
Wetgreenie said:
I'll show you a decorative nut......

It looks to me like a ball end from a chain pull for a Lamp or ceiling fan.

Typically, ball ends for lamps and ceiling fans have a hole going all the way through it. That way, the chain can pass through it, retaining device installed, and then pulled back into the end piece.

HH, Jim

The one in the box pictured above doesn't seem to have a hole all the way through.
Then I guess the chain could be crimped in a manor that it holds the ball on.
That is till some kids pulls on it way to hard....

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey look THERE'S DOC...... :D ???

Attachments

• Morris Minor.gif
    Morris Minor.gif
    94.5 KB · Views: 204
Upvote 0