What's new

I dont normally search nickels, but.....

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
12,256
Reaction score
4,968
Golden Thread
0
Location
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't normally search nickels, but.....

.....I picked up $70 worth of hand rolled. Found 1-'42P war, and 320 (yep, 320) pre 1960. I think I found someone's pre '60 dump, also found 3-1938.
Out of $50 in halves, found 5-40's.
$655 in hand rolled dimes produced 2 rosies and a '27 merc.
Also found a chrome-plated '51 Canadian cent, and of course, lots of Canadian slug dimes, as usual.
Almost forgot, they also sold me 2-$20 rolls of Ikes, which I normally spend, I think I'm going to start keeping them. ffd
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't normally search nickels, but.....

ffd

Well done!

Cheers!
 
Re: I don't normally search nickels, but.....

fistfulladirt said:
.....I picked up $70 worth of hand rolled. Found 1-'42P war, and 320 (yep, 320) pre 1960. I think I found someone's pre '60 dump, also found 3-1938.
Out of $50 in halves, found 5-40's.
$655 in hand rolled dimes produced 2 rosies and a '27 merc.
Also found a chrome-plated '51 Canadian cent, and of course, lots of Canadian slug dimes, as usual.
Almost forgot, they also sold me 2-$20 rolls of Ikes, which I normally spend, I think I'm going to start keeping them. ffd

I'm curious: why do you collect pre-1960 nickels? It is my understanding that they are of the same composition of today's nickels., and not particularly rare. Am I missing something here?
 
Re: I don't normally search nickels, but.....

Real nice finds ffd! It seems that lately, anyone searching something other than their normal stuff, is producing some big numbers.
 
Re: I don't normally search nickels, but.....

mr_larry said:
fistfulladirt said:
.....I picked up $70 worth of hand rolled. Found 1-'42P war, and 320 (yep, 320) pre 1960. I think I found someone's pre '60 dump, also found 3-1938.
Out of $50 in halves, found 5-40's.
$655 in hand rolled dimes produced 2 rosies and a '27 merc.
Also found a chrome-plated '51 Canadian cent, and of course, lots of Canadian slug dimes, as usual.
Almost forgot, they also sold me 2-$20 rolls of Ikes, which I normally spend, I think I'm going to start keeping them. ffd

I'm curious: why do you collect pre-1960 nickels? It is my understanding that they are of the same composition of today's nickels., and not particularly rare. Am I missing something here?
ML, I really don't know why, after 2 years on this forum I've found that it's just something that the nickel collectors do; I do know that after this haul of pre 60's, I was able to fill about 12 holes in my Jefferson folder, and upgraded a couple more. After time, I will probably unleash the rest into the wild. ffd
 
Re: I don't normally search nickels, but.....

I use to save them as well. Eventually there were to many of them. Now I just save the more scarce 40's and 50's S-Mints and the better condition pre 60's. Nice haul! :icon_thumright:
 
Re: I don't normally search nickels, but.....

gr8 day!!! very nice score! keep it up and hh!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom