πŸ₯‡ BANNER I dug a Confederate buckle today!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy and I decided to hit a place we have hammered over the last year. We have found a lot of nice items in the place, including three Eagle Breastplates, two Union Cartridge box plates, and one US belt buckle, Several of these have been found in the last month. We have also found minies, a few buttons including one Confederate block I, some silver and copper CW period coins, broken spoons, etc. The place was evidently used as a picket post, we think after the Battle of Gettysburg. The place is not on any known maps I have seen, so there would have not been any reason to LOOK for anything there. It just so happens good friends of mine bought the farm, and didn't mind us looking for stuff there. On two recent occasions we invited a small "herd" of local club members and Tnetters to the site and everyone got something, which was nice.

Today, it had rained. It was very foggy and that hard rocky soil was ALMOST thawed out. We decided to hit it a few hours just to see what we could find, as we have over 100 man hours on the farm, and finds are getting scarcer. Just a week ago we finally got permission to hit the grassy areas. First thing, I pulled a man's sterling wedding ring from the grass, and then an aluminum can, and another aluminium can, then another and then the pulltabs. It was looking dismal so that hunt a week ago was over.

So back to today, my digging buddy beat me to the site, we were also looking for the property markers but the ground in that area was still frozen. We didn't find them. He tried digging what appears to be an ash pit, but it was also too frozen. He finally found one minie ball.

We both finally started moving back to the grassy areas, and I got about five aluminum cans, we were digging near the "new" driveway, which used to be the "old" farm road.

After aluminum target #6, I got another similar signal, this one sounded a little different. I was down about 8" and it was so blasted rocky, I called my bud over as I wasn't in serious "detecting" mode, I was just in "exploring" mode. I had left my pinpointed in the truck and was too blasted lazy to go get it. So he shoves the pinpointer in the hole, and it almost immediately sounds off. I didn't see the telltale signs of aluminum, but a US plate was found about 10' away in the field, so I advised caution, it might be another breastplate. He grabbed hold of something definitely not silver colored, and as he pulled it out slowly I saw it was rounded and dark colored. I first thought it was another breastplate, but it was too small. When he got it out of the hole, I knew it was a wreath style wreath thingie. I didn't know what it went to, but these were used before and after the Civil War and some aren't even military. I know what I know, and everything else I have to research. I hadn't even touched it yet but had never dug one of these and was feeling quite pleased. I did NOT do that OMG, run around in circles, swear by whatever you swear by, I just stood there. Now, dung for brains here checks the holes normally AFTER I fill them in but suggested he run the poinpointer over it again. There was another signal. Yup, you guessed it. One more inch down in the muddy, sloppy rocky dirt he reaches in and pulls out something else round. It's dirt encrused, duh, and at first I didn't see what, if anything was on it. He turns it over, takes a couple dirty, wet wipes on it and I see a "CS" staring back at me. At this point I did NOT do that OMG, run and around in circles, freak out thing. I walked two steps to the nearest tree and tried to throw up. That's what REAL diggers do. Enough is enough. Here's a picture. Will get it cleaned. Whenever. Maybe soon. Right now I need a Tylenol and an antacid.

IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0046.jpg IMG_0050.JPG BTW the Deus got REAL dirty, but the target is what I call a "softball" and any machine would have found it.

Last edited:
Upvote 136

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Hahaha!! That was a great post!! Major congrats on that find first of all, and thanks for sharing an entertaining story. Looks like a great site, and awesome of you to share it with others. Congrats!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The holy grail. :notworthy:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What an incredible site to dig and what an amazing buckle! Congrats on a beautiful piece of CS history!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been out of the country and just seeing this . . . HOLY SMOKEY-THE-CAT batman!! My highest congrats on an experience VERY few will ever have. Just WOW.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WHAT A DAMNNNN BEAUTY> CONGRATS

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. I literally steadied myself against the tree a few feet away and tried to ralph. Must have swallowed a bunch of air. Something like that. I'll get back up there soon. The corn stubble is finally starting to flatten due to ice snow and it just degrading and the hill and valleys from the disc are flattening out, so there is hope for more goodies. And to think I was looking for another crotal bell that day! Too many sites, not enough days. My other site is 170 miles from this one, the other CW site. There are two in between. Seems like everywhere around here has an item or two from the CW, even at my HOUSE. Who would have thought. This has been the year of surprises.

{Silverado}

Aug 18, 2013
Im really impressed ,what a awesome piece of military artifacts ,I would probably get a leather belt and wear it around.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Truly amazing!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silverado, I've had a few people tell me they actually wear them, but this is a pricey item, and I like it in it's case!

coiltekjohn

Greenie
Apr 9, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will trade you my Confederate tractor part for it. haha Glad you found a real one.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. The secret is beating down the bushes and finding sites that are not on any maps. It also wastes an enormous amount of time, but when you find an unknown site, whether a house site, picket post or whatever it can get good very fast.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Sutphin. We have a lot of history here. This particular spot was not in the history books. Friends of mine bought it and I asked to detect there, and every time I go I'm still shocked we find something. It's kind of like a fantasy dream or something. The buckle was a shock, as it's a Union picket post. (Our best guess.) The previous owners were gun fans and we dig a lot of Thompson submachine gun rounds. Go figure. Recently someone found unfired modern rifle rounds. At the end of last year I found that nice silver Mexican wedding ring. The woods there are loaded with stuff. Including two species of poisonous snakes.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread