πŸ₯‡ BANNER I dug a Confederate buckle today!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy and I decided to hit a place we have hammered over the last year. We have found a lot of nice items in the place, including three Eagle Breastplates, two Union Cartridge box plates, and one US belt buckle, Several of these have been found in the last month. We have also found minies, a few buttons including one Confederate block I, some silver and copper CW period coins, broken spoons, etc. The place was evidently used as a picket post, we think after the Battle of Gettysburg. The place is not on any known maps I have seen, so there would have not been any reason to LOOK for anything there. It just so happens good friends of mine bought the farm, and didn't mind us looking for stuff there. On two recent occasions we invited a small "herd" of local club members and Tnetters to the site and everyone got something, which was nice.

Today, it had rained. It was very foggy and that hard rocky soil was ALMOST thawed out. We decided to hit it a few hours just to see what we could find, as we have over 100 man hours on the farm, and finds are getting scarcer. Just a week ago we finally got permission to hit the grassy areas. First thing, I pulled a man's sterling wedding ring from the grass, and then an aluminum can, and another aluminium can, then another and then the pulltabs. It was looking dismal so that hunt a week ago was over.

So back to today, my digging buddy beat me to the site, we were also looking for the property markers but the ground in that area was still frozen. We didn't find them. He tried digging what appears to be an ash pit, but it was also too frozen. He finally found one minie ball.

We both finally started moving back to the grassy areas, and I got about five aluminum cans, we were digging near the "new" driveway, which used to be the "old" farm road.

After aluminum target #6, I got another similar signal, this one sounded a little different. I was down about 8" and it was so blasted rocky, I called my bud over as I wasn't in serious "detecting" mode, I was just in "exploring" mode. I had left my pinpointed in the truck and was too blasted lazy to go get it. So he shoves the pinpointer in the hole, and it almost immediately sounds off. I didn't see the telltale signs of aluminum, but a US plate was found about 10' away in the field, so I advised caution, it might be another breastplate. He grabbed hold of something definitely not silver colored, and as he pulled it out slowly I saw it was rounded and dark colored. I first thought it was another breastplate, but it was too small. When he got it out of the hole, I knew it was a wreath style wreath thingie. I didn't know what it went to, but these were used before and after the Civil War and some aren't even military. I know what I know, and everything else I have to research. I hadn't even touched it yet but had never dug one of these and was feeling quite pleased. I did NOT do that OMG, run around in circles, swear by whatever you swear by, I just stood there. Now, dung for brains here checks the holes normally AFTER I fill them in but suggested he run the poinpointer over it again. There was another signal. Yup, you guessed it. One more inch down in the muddy, sloppy rocky dirt he reaches in and pulls out something else round. It's dirt encrused, duh, and at first I didn't see what, if anything was on it. He turns it over, takes a couple dirty, wet wipes on it and I see a "CS" staring back at me. At this point I did NOT do that OMG, run and around in circles, freak out thing. I walked two steps to the nearest tree and tried to throw up. That's what REAL diggers do. Enough is enough. Here's a picture. Will get it cleaned. Whenever. Maybe soon. Right now I need a Tylenol and an antacid.

IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0046.jpg IMG_0050.JPG BTW the Deus got REAL dirty, but the target is what I call a "softball" and any machine would have found it.

Last edited:
Upvote 136

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
great find congrats on banner :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright::notworthy:

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find and story...So happy for you!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on banner!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your Banner!! uhhhh...again. Thought first didn’t go through and can’t delete this one.

PioneerPauly

Mar 28, 2010
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug II
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh nice!! I still haven't gone out detecting for anything other than gold. Im curious to whats around my area..

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. PioneerPauly, as they say, gold is where you find it. I nearly freaked out when my dealer friend wanted to come to my house to show me the benefits of the XP Deus, and I wasn't interested in my own lawn. 10 minutes or less later he shouts out "I found a gold ring". Which he had, hence the freakout. You just never know. I had no idea there was Civil War action near or on my friend's property.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see your buckle up top.....congrats again.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, that is unfrigging believable! Congrats man!

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find! Congrats! :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on another banner find Smokey.

PioneerPauly

Mar 28, 2010
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you all. PioneerPauly, as they say, gold is where you find it. I nearly freaked out when my dealer friend wanted to come to my house to show me the benefits of the XP Deus, and I wasn't interested in my own lawn. 10 minutes or less later he shouts out "I found a gold ring". Which he had, hence the freakout. You just never know. I had no idea there was Civil War action near or on my friend's property.

Wow I guess so huh. Ill have to take a nice walk when it stops pouring out! Thanks :D

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been blessed by the Almighty to still be able to detect. Arthritis is bad, but that means I don't wander too far and hammer any given area I'm digging. I can still go a few hours. I was basically horseing around at the edge of the field we had been hammering when I got the ear blowing signal, and shazam!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful recovery. WTG////

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just an amazing find with the CS buckle, congratulations on achieving BANNER #4 smokey! :occasion14:

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this statement... "
BTW the Deus got REAL dirty, but the target is what I call a "softball" and any machine would have found it". :laughing7:

Dave

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh nice!! I still haven't gone out detecting for anything other than gold. Im curious to whats around my area..

If you happen live anywhere near Bruce in Victoria... you're going to have to venture way outside your area! :BangHead:
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions