DownNDirty
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Jun 1, 2015
- Messages
- 2,183
- Reaction score
- 3,209
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- South Carolina
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Equinox 800
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Had Monday off for the holiday so I made good use of the day and returned to the site where vmiairpwr07 and I had our marathon dig last Saturday. My back was still a little sore from hours of digging and sifting so I opted to leave the sifter home and just metal detect. This turned out to be a good decision.
The morning was really slow-a piece of melted lead here, part of a barrel band there; I began to second guess my decision to leave the sifter home. Then I got a deep signal & after a lot of digging pulled out what I thought was part of a sword blade-until I saw that it had a square piece of iron riveted to it. Dang!
After a 10 minute lunch break I got after it again and things started to improve. I dug a 13mm domed pewter button-a first for me. Ten minutes later I found half of a pewter coat button. Then a dropped 69 caliber musket ball plus a few other odds and ends.
Saturday Jon and I were talking about how the best finds usually come at the end of the day, and that is exactly what happened yesterday. I got a good signal then retrieved a fully intact pewter coat button with a tall iron shank. I put it in my bag, dug a dew more targets then called it a day.
Before hitting the road I cleaned the dirt off with water & saw that the button had scrolling around the edge. I emailed Jon and he quickly replied to tell me that it was a 71st Regiment of Foot (Fraser's Highlanders) coat button. This is my second British Rev War uniform button, both from this site. What an end to another good day!
The morning was really slow-a piece of melted lead here, part of a barrel band there; I began to second guess my decision to leave the sifter home. Then I got a deep signal & after a lot of digging pulled out what I thought was part of a sword blade-until I saw that it had a square piece of iron riveted to it. Dang!
After a 10 minute lunch break I got after it again and things started to improve. I dug a 13mm domed pewter button-a first for me. Ten minutes later I found half of a pewter coat button. Then a dropped 69 caliber musket ball plus a few other odds and ends.
Saturday Jon and I were talking about how the best finds usually come at the end of the day, and that is exactly what happened yesterday. I got a good signal then retrieved a fully intact pewter coat button with a tall iron shank. I put it in my bag, dug a dew more targets then called it a day.
Before hitting the road I cleaned the dirt off with water & saw that the button had scrolling around the edge. I emailed Jon and he quickly replied to tell me that it was a 71st Regiment of Foot (Fraser's Highlanders) coat button. This is my second British Rev War uniform button, both from this site. What an end to another good day!
Attachments
Upvote
56
73rd is irrelevant not having served, and I would put the 71st as more common, unless you break it down into varieties because there is way more types for 71st than 74th. Off the top of my head the area that has produced the most 74ths I think is Castine Maine, but believe there was also 71st buttons dug there too. (would have to grab the book to be sure) But in general I think 71st shows up more at various locations... and I have even dug two of them myself. I think I need a 2nd cup of coffee because I almost forget about my own.



typo-You got me! 







