pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was having a not so great day, got stuck in the mud twice with the tractor, so I threw the towel in and went detecting. Went to an old stand-by site to try the new settings out and it was planted, went to another planted, went to a bottom feeder and pulled a really cool Final out, though I'm not sure what it's off.
IMG_20170522_144928557.jpg

I gave up on the site and drove down the road to another field that was still in corn stubble. There was a tavern at one end but there hasn't been any productive finds from the site. So I decided on the other end of the field where there's a house and try the bordering field, and fight the old corn stalks. Seemed like a great choice as the targets were numerous and interesting. First one along the field edge was this great clock winder.
IMG_20170522_155749727.jpg
I managed to get a /24 Wheat from the other side and a beat up button along with a few pieces of brass. So it was time to rehydrate, bug lotion, empty pouch trip the truck. On the return I hit a noisy area with lots of square nails and stone. So I thought this might be the old home site pre maps. I got this screaming 85 and thought iron close to the surface, and wanting to date the spot I dug it as it might be something else (we all hope for the best) shovel full scanned the dirt got a 98 my hopes dropped as all 98s have been iron on the surface it seems. But when I pushed the soils aside I saw it-the big fat rim! I took a picture-I texted a buddy and said I'll be frigging pi$$ed if it's a gas station token! I have never dug a silver dollar and here I was looking at something that had BIG SILVER written all over it.
IMG_20170522_174204992.jpg
It gently pushed the clump apart and it was silver-but not my elusive silver dollar. When it comes to digging we just have to accept the find as they come, and I'll take this big puppy all day long!
So I managed a few more items 1864 IH, Rosette, another key, the I saw the rim of another round disk, a hint of silver and I thought oh ya! But it turnout to be a cap with some silver wash on the rim still. So here's the group shots.
IMG_20170522_202645095.jpg IMG_20170522_202622491_HDR.jpg IMG_20170522_202549101_HDR.jpg IMG_20170522_202541707.jpg

This was from yesterday days hunt, the site I've been testing out the different settings, but 90% of the site was planted so I scratched around and got these few finds. I'm wondering if the button with the 7 is military related?
IMG_20170522_200704517.jpg IMG_20170521_123858093.jpg
So being a special anniversary date for being 30 yrs clean, I found the largest silver I've ever dug, so when I look at it I'm really one happy camper. Thanks for looking
IMG_20170522_202732825.jpg IMG_20170522_202752977.jpg IMG_20170522_202033904.jpg
The medal is circular, made of silver (.925 fine silver), 1.42 inches (36 mm) in diameter. The obverse depicts seven marching figures, representing men and women of the army, air force, navy and nursing service. Around the rim is the inscription 1939 CANADA 1945 VOLUNTARY SERVICE VOLONTAIRE.
[h=2]There were 1,183,000 eligible, with 650,000 medals and 525,500 bars awarded.[/h]

Last edited:
Upvote 39

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver! That isn't a clock winder--it's a 1700s era barrel tap key.

Regards,

Buck

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on 30 years first and foremost. Great fines and it's awesome when you have a day like you did today

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ummmm.....
That would look great up top.

Massive silver, a unique find, great story.....
My vote is in.
Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds and big silver! :occasion14:

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Northern Michigan/Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger, Garrett Waist treasure bag
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed reading the story as much as I liked seeing the pictures. Very interesting finds and Whooo hooo on the big silver. More interesting than just any piece of silver, it has a story behind it.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on that nice chunk of silver. I would take that any day.

Thanks for the reply, it put a smile on my mug.

Congratulations on the BIG silver and a HUGE 30!
Thank You very Much, 30 seems like a lifetime actually.

Congrats on all of the nice finds.

That silver medal is super sweet. I bet it looked as big as dinner plate when you first saw it.

Congrats on the 30.

Good luck to you sir.

Thanks Tom, it's a male thing you know everything looks bigger.

Excellent hunt and nice variety.
The Silver Medal definitely is a defibrillator.
Congratulations

Thanks It was one of those moments when the fingers were hitting the wrong buttons on the phone trying to take a picture, and then trying to send it. Exciting moment for sure.

Great silver medallion!!! Congrats on some cool finds! HH

Thanks for the reply

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pepperj,

Congratulations on your WW11 medal I was fortunate enough to find one several years ago and it's still one of my favorite finds.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice work with the anniversary.

And that slab of silver must have gotten your heart pumping! At 31 Grams that's heavier than an 8-R!

Thanks Scrappy. Yes it got me talking out loud in the field.Lol Never really thought about the size of the 8-R, They have been dug up in Ont. and digging one would a first for me as well.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice silver! That isn't a clock winder--it's a 1700s era barrel tap key.

Regards,

Buck
Thanks for the reply Buck
It would be the smallest barrel key I've dug then, the hole is only 1/8" .

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your Thirty year anniversary, keep coming back! I just celebrated 26 this past Dec. I love your big silver, it is very beautiful, I love the design. Allot of great finds, keep digging, one day at a time!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice medal! Love the relics too. The first brass relic you posted appears to be a pointed "skull cracker" pommel from a fighting knife. I haven't identified which model it came off of, it could have been one of the home made types I suppose.

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve, very interesting if it is a pommel.
The piece has a casting line that runs to the point, I think it's too well made for a home made type.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the big silver!

Thank you

That's a great find ! It's not every day that you dig a full ounce of silver .

Thanks, your right about it doesn't happen very often, in my case it's a first.

Super medallion! WTG pepperj, seems the not so good day became a great one!

Thanks, It's the case of I can turn a real crappy day into a sunny one just going out and digging some dirt. Finding something good is the bonus.

Congratulations on 30 years first and foremost. Great fines and it's awesome when you have a day like you did today

Thank you, it's been an interesting transition of one's life.

Ummmm.....
That would look great up top.

Massive silver, a unique find, great story.....
My vote is in.
Congrats!

Thanks Dave, I'm sure it'll grace the top, but I do appreciate the nod.

Congratualtions on the nice finds and big silver! :occasion14:
Thanks

I enjoyed reading the story as much as I liked seeing the pictures. Very interesting finds and Whooo hooo on the big silver. More interesting than just any piece of silver, it has a story behind it.
Thanks for the reply, Mackinawgirl

pepperj,

Congratulations on your WW11 medal I was fortunate enough to find one several years ago and it's still one of my favorite finds.

Regards + HH

Bill

Hi Bill, Thanks for the reply. One has to wonder why they have been lost in the first place being such a special medal.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You were certainly overdue for a silver find like this one Jim! :occasion14:
It's a true testament to your research and ability to obtain permission to detect private lands and save some of our history here in Canada! :thumbsup:

Love that little brass finial too,
Dave

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You were certainly overdue for a silver find like this one Jim! :occasion14:
It's a true testament to your research and ability to obtain permission to detect private lands and save some of our history here in Canada! :thumbsup:

Love that little brass finial too,
Dave

Thanks Dave for your reply.
Getting onto another site on the field was nice since it produced nothing at the tavern site end. Then again more times than not there seems to be an older undocumented house site beside another newer build that are on the historical maps. Which only makes sense that they homesteaded, gained a financial base to improve their living and build a better home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread