villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
20200329_113543.jpg 20200329_113610.jpg

After three years of living here, in what was for a brief time "The Republic of West Florida" //https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_West_Floridain Louisiana, I am beginning to get permissions to some large acreage sites.

After seven years of detecting and never once finding a silver coin, I got out of my car at a 100 year old plus site about 1/8 of a mile from my house, took no more than ten steps and got a coin signal. I'm used to being disappointed.

I almost passed out when this merc shone through the dirt of a very shallow plug. When you see a silver coin, you immediately know it's silver. It's just different.

This one has great detail. Believe it or not, a day later I found another one, quite worn from 1920 something. NOW I understand what the fuss is about. :)

Upvote 39

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its an awesome feeling put your first one in a nice coin holder now you broke the ice they will start pouring in that is a looooong time to not find a silver what machine are you using.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. I cant imagine waiting 7 years for silver. Huge congrats. A merc was my first silver coin as well. Got my 5th merc last sunday. Hope they come faster for you now.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! Silver Fever!!!!

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello villival, great post. Your story and mine have quite a few parallels. I too went 7 years without a silver coin. Dug thousands of holes. Pulled some Wheaties, nice relics and jewelry, but no silver. 2 days ago hunting with my daughters, dug a 1943 Merc from an old city boulevard. Felt great. Yes its a different feeling. May you continue your good luck and I wish you many more to come !

OP
OP
villival

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A2 I am using an ACE 250 with an 11" coil and a garrett carrot. I'd like to upgrade because here in Louisiana, our finds get buried pretty deep.

Diggit, I have dug some amazing things, but for some reason that merc gave me a thrill I will never forget.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and welcome to the start of the *true* addiction!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first- the feeling's awesome and here's hoping you get to experience it many, many more times!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you get to "fuss" many more time over your detecting career. Nice coin.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello villival, yes its a good feeling. Am 52 and been hunting about 10 years. Tell me, do you ever hunt for civil war stuff down there in Louisiana ? Thats been on my list for awhile, and am a huge Civil war reader and love history

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Glad to read that I am not the only one who has never found a silver coin. Although I have been detecting for many years, I don't get out more than a few times per year, and usually end up at the beach, where clad and zinc rule. The mercury dime has long been my favorite coin, and I know that "My Day Will Come." Stay safe and keep enjoying yourself.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found lots of silver back in the 80's when I lived in town. Since moving to the country and starting to detect again a year ago I've yet to find a silver coin. I'm only hunting farm fields where there were farm houses in the past. My day will come! Gary

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first Silver coin !

No matter how many you find, the thrill never goes away !

OP
OP
villival

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you all for all your wonderful encouragement.

Diggitdaddy, I never thought about digging for Civil War stuff specifically, until recently, but the Civil War fascinates me. I also love early Louisiana history. Believe it or not, my family, Villars Dubreuil, used to own (grant from the king in 1718) the land known as Tchoupitoulas from the Mississippi River to Lake Pontchatrain. Of course, all lost due to wars (the Battle of Chalmette was fought on another of my family's plantations and it makes me mad I can't dig for stuff on my own family's land) and the sale of Louisiana more than once. We were french.

I'd love to find some early Louisiana stuff. This area (Husser) has a long history of rebellion that goes way back. When we bought the place, I had no idea of the history. I think there is probably a lot around here I can find. It just takes a while for people to trust you. I'm the crazy lady always digging in the fields. I'm the only one around here that metal detects. The locals can't understand why I am thrilled with digging up old pieces of iron, etc. :)

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on finding that lovely piece of silver! It's a marvelous feeling, isn't it. Hope there are many more in your near future!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello villival, yes its a good feeling. Am 52 and been hunting about 10 years. Tell me, do you ever hunt for civil war stuff down there in Louisiana ? Thats been on my list for awhile, and am a huge Civil war reader and love history
It is Truly a Blast from the Past. If you Love History, you'll Love Relic Hunting. Especially the personal finds and saves such as carved bullets, buttons, etc. Best of luck to you.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you all for all your wonderful encouragement.

Diggitdaddy, I never thought about digging for Civil War stuff specifically, until recently, but the Civil War fascinates me. I also love early Louisiana history. Believe it or not, my family, Villars Dubreuil, used to own (grant from the king in 1718) the land known as Tchoupitoulas from the Mississippi River to Lake Pontchatrain. Of course, all lost due to wars (the Battle of Chalmette was fought on another of my family's plantations and it makes me mad I can't dig for stuff on my own family's land) and the sale of Louisiana more than once. We were french.

I'd love to find some early Louisiana stuff. This area (Husser) has a long history of rebellion that goes way back. When we bought the place, I had no idea of the history. I think there is probably a lot around here I can find. It just takes a while for people to trust you. I'm the crazy lady always digging in the fields. I'm the only one around here that metal detects. The locals can't understand why I am thrilled with digging up old pieces of iron, etc. :)
Sounds like we have another Relic Hunter amongst our ranks. Best of luck to you Villavil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread