✅ SOLVED I found a 1983(P) quarter in amazing condition!

rocks3211

Jun 22, 2017
Philadelphia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was rummaging around some miscellaneous coins around my house, and I found this gem of a coin! :hello2: At first I thought nothing of it, but I had recalled seeing an article online saying that the 1983(P) quarter could be worth up to 2,000$. Personally I am a bit skeptic of this article. Now, I would like to know your thoughts on the matter. I have attached photos of the 1983(P) quarter that I found, plus the article that said this coin may have some value!
Why a 1983-P Washington quarter sold for nearly $2K | Coin World

View attachment DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0003.JPG

Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are referring the the 1983-P "Spitting Eagle" but yours doesn't seem to have that error.

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's a pic of a 'spitting eagle':
1989PQuarter-Spitting_tb.jpg

The variety is identified by a die crack—a raised line caused by the deterioration of a coining die—near the mouth of the eagle on the reverse. Its location makes it appear that the eagle is spitting.
Don.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rocks3211

Jun 22, 2017
Philadelphia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic of a 'spitting eagle':
1989PQuarter-Spitting_tb.jpg

The variety is identified by a die crack—a raised line caused by the deterioration of a coining die—near the mouth of the eagle on the reverse. Its location makes it appear that the eagle is spitting.
Don.....

Thank you so much for your quick answer. If you look closely on the back of my quarter, under the eagle it says the word "quarter dollar". Now, what I am interested in the line going through the "DO" of "dollar".

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for your quick answer. If you look closely on the back of my quarter, under the eagle it says the word "quarter dollar". Now, what I am interested in the line going through the "DO" of "dollar".

looks like a scratch/dent from circulation

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions