I found a chisel...

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out after work today clearing the iron from the yard and came across this chisel. Funny how it rang up about the same as a nail on the legend (vdi 4-5). was about 4 inches deep. The end has a hole in it, I imagine for the handle it had at one time.

P1000745_WM.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 13

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool! Nice find.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took a pic of the top.

P1000747_WM.jpg

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since it has the hole at the handle end, I'm guessing it's a socket chisel. Haven't found many pics with the socket part having that wide rim. I've been wanting to try evapo-rust, looks like a good project to try it.

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it has the hole at the handle end, I'm guessing it's a socket chisel. Haven't found many pics with the socket part having that wide rim. I've been wanting to try evapo-rust, looks like a good project to try it.
I like the evapo-rust! Especially because it’s all natural stuff. Mine is just about empty, time for a new jug.
5AB680BB-7028-4225-9A4E-9F5226011E2D.jpeg

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find. Looks similar to one my brother uses for lathe work.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out after work today clearing the iron from the yard and came across this chisel. Funny how it rang up about the same as a nail on the legend (vdi 4-5). was about 4 inches deep. The end has a hole in it, I imagine for the handle it had at one time.

View attachment 2097408
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree it's a socket chisel. There might be a maker's name on it somewhere, usually near the top of the front of the blade. The flange is from someone hammering on it after the wooden handle was taken out. Those handles are very good but sometimes they shrank and got loose and then would not stay in. Grab a chisel with the wood missing and use it anyway by hammering and the flange is what would develop. It could be left as is and restored to use, but the flange could get in the way. The flange could probably be removed and there would still be enough socket to hold a wooden handle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread