"I FOUND A G-O-L-D COIN" UPDATE 5-26

R

RUDY2003

"I FOUND A G-O-L-D COIN" UPDATE 5-26

:dontknow: :dontknow:
Hey guys, I just got back from the "dealer" where I had the coin. I'm embarased to say I didn't find a solid gold coin, its onlly 14k reproduction. I thought and was told initially it was the real thing. It's still cool to me, big and heavy and it is 14k anyway. It looked correct but tested at 14k.
I'm appologizing for bragging to soon and ask that it is taken off the banner. I meant no harm, just excited. Hope you guys understand.

RUDY2003

[cool] [cool] What a morning! I started out early this morning to hit a few schools before the kids and grandkids come over for hamburgers. The first schoolyard is a regular one of mine but I haven't been there for a few wekks. An hour later I had snagged 65 coins and a little trash. I put it on the tailgate for a pic. The weather is humid, about mid 70's and a little overcast. So I did'nt even break a sweat. Off to school #2 not expecting much there, usually onlu a few bits of clad there.
Started at the play area, couple of coins, then I went to the swings....First Signal as you can see in the pic was 12-Foil/Ring!!!!! I moved the chips awaw with my foot and saw GOLD. I said to myself, "Just junk, probably play coin....NO SIR....It is a Genuine 50 Peso with "Oro-Puro" written on it...I don't think I could do any better than this today. I had to call my huntin' buddy Lance and brag to him then off to the house to gloat to my wife!!!!! I'm Stoked!!!
Thanks for lookin' and keep diggin'.......

Attachments

• SCHOOL-1-PLAYGROUND.jpg
    SCHOOL-1-PLAYGROUND.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,899
  • SCHOOL-1-TRUCK.jpg
    SCHOOL-1-TRUCK.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,898
  • SCHOOL-2 SWING.jpg
    SCHOOL-2 SWING.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 2,914
  • GOLD-READING.jpg
    GOLD-READING.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,914
  • GOLD-HOLE.jpg
    GOLD-HOLE.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,899
  • GOLD-SINGLE-BACK.jpg
    GOLD-SINGLE-BACK.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,894
  • GOLD-SINGLE-FRONT.jpg
    GOLD-SINGLE-FRONT.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,884
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
Re: "I FOUND A G-O-L-D COIN"

Congrats on a Super Extraordinary find!
Did your find have a bezel on it originally?
The coin in the first photo looks different than the one in the second picture.
The word "ORO" is placed in a different spot in regards to the weight and the wings
seem off. Also the 50 Pesos seems higher than it should be. Perhaps your camera
distorted the first picture or your coin dealer changed something.
In any case, Congrats.
But I would get a better camera with some of the money.
Happy Hunting

John

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008

John987 said:
Congrats on a Super Extraordinary find!
Did your find have a bezel on it originally?
The coin in the first photo looks different than the one in the second picture.
The word "ORO" is placed in a different spot in regards to the weight and the wings
seem off. Also the 50 Pesos seems higher than it should be. Perhaps your camera
distorted the first picture or your coin dealer changed something.
In any case, Congrats.
But I would get a better camera with some of the money.
Happy Hunting

John

I see what John is seeing, I put closeups of the Oro Puro from the first picture and the second one into one picture. Notice where the first O in oro is in respect to the 3. It is obviously shifted to the right in the second picture for some reason.

Attachments

• `~oro.JPG
    `~oro.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,203

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008

check out the wingtips

and the rim

Attachments

• ~oro coin.JPG
    ~oro coin.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 1,182

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus

It looks like the coin dealer used a stock photo instead of the actual found coin. Those cannot be the same.

LD

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008

ldablo said:
It looks like the coin dealer used a stock photo instead of the actual found coin. Those cannot be the same.

LD

Agreed! :icon_scratch: ??? :icon_study:

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find and lazy dealer!

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

RUDY2003 said:
jeff of pa said:
Nice Find !

Can you get a Better Closer Pic ?

And possably also one with A coin in it for better Size comparison ?
Sorry for the delay guys, I have the coin at the dealer as of last night. I asked him to take a better pic and send it to me for you guys to see...
Here is the close up...

Cool, it would still be nice to see it next to another coin. How much does it weight, and how big is it? Can you take a pic of it next to a penny? Is it dime sized or smaller?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why is the wrong pic on the banner?

This thread is starting to be a real :icon_scratch:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Boognish said:
I hope yours is the real deal, but make sure it is not one of the 14k plated reproductions sold here...
http://www.wholesale-wedding.com/wh..._coins_say_50_PESOS__wholesale-weddingco_.htm

Either way, cool find.

I hope his is an original gold one.

It is a tradition in Latin America to give the bride 13 gold coins so that the new couple does not start out life without money. The tradition is called madrina de arras; the godmother gives them to the groom and he places them in the hands of his bride. It may be played out in other ways in different countries. Also, as a side note, most can not afford in modern times 13 real gold coins to give away, so they use the plated variety. It's just a tradition from the past that is still carried out.

I saw "gold" coins like these for sale in Mexico with the heavy rim. They were usually in piles and sold for $25 to $30.

Let's hope that this is the real deal.

I know I would have probably passed out seeing that one coming out of the dirt.

Cool find.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

a mexican wedding in the park with the loss of one of the 13 --good luck coins -- 14 lk plated coins that go for about $3 each --- now that sadly seems more likely. -- I think its a cool find just the same either way --bet your heart skipped a beat or two --note the wing span differance and the thick rim differance in the two side by side photos * -- I think your's is a 14 K plated copy coin . pity.

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus

He said it's as big as a silver dollar.

I sure hope it's the real deal.

This find has inspired me greatly. :)

LD

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

14 k plated copy coins are made and are worth a few bucks each --the location of the wings and the word oro is shifted to prevent "counterfieting charges" --- from the looks of it upon closer inspection --to me it seems to be a copy coin -- while its a real item ---- * a 14 k gold plated coin --- one of 13 given to a bride as a good luck / blessing --(may you never be poor or wanting for money ) type of marriage gift -- sadly I do not think its th "real" gold coin he thought it was --pity.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

I asked him to take a better pic and send it to me for you guys to see...
Here is the close up...

That coin you re-posted is not the same one as in your initial post. :dontknow:

...this thing is as big as a silver dollar and heavy!

A real gold coin that large would not ring out like a piece of foil as you say. It would have a very high tone/visual target ID similar to a large silver coin (silver quarter, half dollar, etc.).

Also, the real 50 peso gold coin is 37.5 grams of pure gold, not 3.75 grams, as yours says.

I think it's 14K plated repro.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

gxray

Jan 30, 2009

It appears to me that the second date on the original coin photo ( as viewed in the comparison photos) ends with the number 3 ....looks like 1983 or 1963 to me.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "I FOUND A G-O-L-D COIN" UPDATE 5-26

Rudy2003 don't feel bad. I would have been jumping threw loops also if that would have popped out of the chips. I know I would have posted it too. I almost bought a pile of them in Mexico a few years ago, the guy told me they were real gold and at a cost of $25 to $30 I thought what a bargain. I decided to go further down the row and noticed several people were selling them. The next guy was kind enough to explain to me they were plated.

Let's hope your next finds will be gold. Remember we are out there to have fun.

Sorry it turned out to be a fake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread