What's new

I found an EASIER way to find KEEPERS in halves!!!!!!!!!!

jrf30

Bronze Member
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
1,896
Reaction score
385
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Happy April Fool's Day to all. :-) This is a great board!

post now deleted, so no one thinks it was for real. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Hey jfr30.
Not really a joke. Since I have been looking through rolls of halves for the past five years, I have picked out and accumulated one full roll of BU/AU halves for each year P/D starting with 1971. Thought it may be a waste of time, but my coin dealer told me it was a good idea because they may be worth something as the years go by. I can always turn them in if I ever needed the money, but so far I've been able to help a lot of young coin collectors in my area fill their books with really nice clad Kennedys at face value. Really makes them happy and creats interest in the hobbie.
rileyboy
 
rileyboy said:
Hey jfr30.
Not really a joke. Since I have been looking through rolls of halves for the past five years, I have picked out and accumulated one full roll of BU/AU halves for each year P/D starting with 1971. Thought it may be a waste of time, but my coin dealer told me it was a good idea because they may be worth something as the years go by. I can always turn them in if I ever needed the money, but so far I've been able to help a lot of young coin collectors in my area fill their books with really nice clad Kennedys at face value. Really makes them happy and creats interest in the hobbie.
rileyboy

Inspiring people collect coins is really cool, not only does it add another thrill to their lives, but it also drives up the value of our collections as well ;D. As for this post, I was reading it and thinking that whoever wrote this was a total wack-job, I'm glad that it was just a joke, haha.
 
rileyboy said:
Hey jfr30.
Not really a joke. Since I have been looking through rolls of halves for the past five years, I have picked out and accumulated one full roll of BU/AU halves for each year P/D starting with 1971. Thought it may be a waste of time, but my coin dealer told me it was a good idea because they may be worth something as the years go by. I can always turn them in if I ever needed the money, but so far I've been able to help a lot of young coin collectors in my area fill their books with really nice clad Kennedys at face value. Really makes them happy and creats interest in the hobbie.
rileyboy

Extend that to all denominations, all years, all mintmarks, and all intentional variations (like small mintmark/large mintmark) that were intended for circulation and you have the goal of my collection... Plus 1 each of some other stuff of course (like proofs or errors) and a roll each of NIFC Kennedy coins. I also recently decided to expand it to include a roll of each Canadian coin since I find so many in circulation anyway.

Of course, I adjust my roll size to match the denomination. 50 pennies, 40 nickels, 50 dimes, 40 quarters, 20 halves, and 25 dollars.

Most of the recent stuff was easy (1970-S small date and 1960 small date penny are exceptions), but filling in the older stuff takes a lot of effort.
* Wheat pennies are going pretty good (oldest full roll is either 1918 or 1919) with most of the 1934+ rolls complete or getting close.
* Jeffersons are almost done (except for the few toughies).
* Filling out the pre-1965 dimes will be tough being as I still have about 6 or 7 silver roosevelts I have never found. I have completed a few solild rolls of the most common ones.
* Pre-1965 quarters, other than 1964, will probably be about impossible without buying them.
* Pre-Kennedy halves are generally tough too, but I do have a few Franklin rolls complete or close.
* On dollars, I am close to completing my Eisenhower rolls (with the exception of 1972 Variety 2 and 1976 Variety 1), but anything before that...I think I will have to buy someday.
 
Gman0001
That's quite a collection and a lot of coins. But, what the heck. You're getting them at face value and having fun doing it too! I just stuck to the Kennedy Halves, but also have a nice collection of rolls of Ike's in BU/AU grade that I'm sure I could get a premium on if I decide to sell them. Other than that, my Dansco Books of cents, Jefferson nickels, mercury dimes. Rosies and quarters are just about all full.
Fun, isn't it!
rileyboy
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom