I found my first Spanish copper coin.

Lizard-Prince

Jun 5, 2008
Bayamon P.R.
Detector(s) used
DFX,BH ID,5000s2,AT Max,MX Sport,Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi again! I need help identifying a very worn copper I believe is a Spanish coin found at the Balneario de Carolina beach just yesterday. Is there a trick to recover the image or details I am trying very hard with a magnifying glass and my eyeglasses and am having a tough time. All I can see I do believe is what appears to be sort of like a (V) dead center or a pillar. Any help would be appreciated by the way I found $1.45 this trip with the altered gold program for finding coins. Thanks for the aid "Ralph" (LP)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
May be wet it, tilt so the light catches the detail.
Post a picture of both sides, size, and weight if possible.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several methods. Strong side lighting helps create shadows to see better detail. Putting a powder like flour on the coin and gently wiping the top surface leaves flour behind in the low spots and can also help show detail. Another method is to use photos and play with contrast and color in photo editing programs. Take some clear photos of both sides of your coin on a plain background and post it here as well, there are people on here who are very good at figuring these things out.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
like this?
coin-image-x-y-z-600-300-EloKbzbim8MAAAFNBrxtvwyp.jpg

OP
OP
Lizard-Prince

Lizard-Prince

Jun 5, 2008
Bayamon P.R.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
These are the coins I promise. Please help me identify them. Thank you

Attachments

• 20240207_141505.jpg
    20240207_141505.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 20240207_141525.jpg
    20240207_141525.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
OP
OP
Lizard-Prince

Lizard-Prince

Jun 5, 2008
Bayamon P.R.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
What tells you it's Spanish; or even a coin?
Don in SoCal
When coins were made in the past the design was struck on regular slabs of metal not round like coins nowadays and I can discern a rather small but rather weak detail dead center on one of the sides. On the yellow photo shop printout Observe the almost perceivable of what appears to be a (V) and some letterings on the outer rim.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Lizard! very cool find! The Minelab Manticore is the best machine I have used. Love mine!
Made all my old hunted-out places new again!

OP
OP
Lizard-Prince

Lizard-Prince

Jun 5, 2008
Bayamon P.R.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks for making a smile on my face and caring for my post. I was a white dealer for many years and worked for whites of the mid-Atlantic. I currently have 10 detectors and furnish the Garrett line for Puerto Rico. During my first few years in this hobby (1982) I found a copper maravedis from Isabela on the 2nd of 1844 at what used to be an old military base at Miramar San Juan and I still conserve it. It is very worn but still legible. I hope this churns up your interest. This Thursday I came upon Ocean Park Beach yet another small thick sterling silver ring with the moon and sun design. Blessings Pal "Lord Damian" LP Ralph

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread