I found something, still not sure what.

sprice

Feb 18, 2008
Upvote 0
Re: I think we found something BIG!! Plz Help!

Kas said:
On a side note, there are laws against removing things from historic sites. What makes you think you had the premission to hunt there in the first place. So, you got away with it. SHHHHHHUSH!

1st off, we weren't hunting, we were walking on the beach & found it washed up in the sand. 2nd until we came home & I did some research online, we didn't have any idea that there were ships sunk out there. So why if something was washed up on the beach in front of us that looked "interesting" would we walk on by & leave it for the next Joe Blow that walked by.

DO NOT SELL FOR SCRAP GOLD!! It would have much more value as a shipwreck artifact. Post a pic and we can help. Dont worry, you will remain annonymous with the code name you picked. Picture please.

We also can identify the shipwreck from the location.
As far as it being gold, Im sure you can tell the difference between gold or brass. Brass/bronze/copper would be green if it was old. Gold will not turn green, even in saltwater. Whatever you do, do not remove it from the timber, otherwise it would just be a worthless old bronze shipwreck nail. It would lose any value it might have. Also dont try to clean too much. We really do need a pic. If its a gold nail, it could be quite valuable if identified from the location found and of course do not remove from timber artifact piece. Very old timber often looks black.
Here is a broken bronze nail I found turning green, compared to an iron nail (bottom).

Attachments

• SilverTag BronzeSpike.jpg
    SilverTag BronzeSpike.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 317
  • nails.jpg
    nails.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 381
  • SilverTag BronzeSpike.jpg
    SilverTag BronzeSpike.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 319
  • nails.jpg
    nails.jpg