Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok before I start my long winded tale let me say I know its not silver or gold but its history which to sum is still a treasure........I'm new to Yuma Az an I have heard a few times about a wooden road but was lost on any info on it an it was driving me crazy.I posted on here about it an Pippinwhitepaws came to my rescue on info about the wooden highway that was built,I went out an found it an took some pics of whats left of this cool piece of history I hope you injoy it ,an thanks again Pippin your awsome my friend.

Attachments

• RES01168.JPG
    RES01168.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 440
  • RES01169.JPG
    RES01169.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 316
  • RES01172.JPG
    RES01172.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 316
  • RES01173.JPG
    RES01173.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 309

ozrobtreasure

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2008
Came across your post on the old road. The story of this road is in my book called 'The Forgotten Highway-Broadway of America' and can be had on Ebay for $16.95

It's a great story that I have researched for 10 years, with some really great historic photos.

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
ok before I start my long winded tale let me say I know its not silver or gold but its history which to sum is still a treasure........I'm new to Yuma Az an I have heard a few times about a wooden road but was lost on any info on it an it was driving me crazy.I posted on here about it an Pippinwhitepaws came to my rescue on info about the wooden highway that was built,I went out an found it an took some pics of whats left of this cool piece of history I hope you injoy it ,an thanks again Pippin your awsome my friend.

Here is a photo of the road being used (1916). Good article in Desert Magazine.
Also, since you are in Yuma, go take a look at the old Quartermaster's Office that is part of the Quartermaster museum. When you go into the big building, look for a glassed in cubbyhole to your left. You will see a set of bells that was used on one of the old emigrant wagons in the mid-1800s along what is now called the Butterfield Overland Trail. This trail went right through what is now present day Yuma. Also is shown here a little blurb on these bells that I included in my recently published book The Butterfield Trail and Overland Mail Company in Arizona, 1858-1861.
Plank road.jpg Bells along the Trail.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread