I found two bullets in NE, Ohio. Are they Civil War era bullets?

chicagobulls567

Aug 21, 2013
Berlin Center, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
001.JPG 002.JPG

I found these bullets in my field in north east, Ohio.

I hope that helps!

Last edited:

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on the left certainly looks promising, somebody on here like Cannonball guy will tell you for sure, but they are gonna want length and diameter...FYI. HH

Upvote 0

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds but they don't date to the civil war sorry. if you get exact measurements we would be able to help more

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
I agree with recondigger they are modern .
I used to camp at Berlin when I was young, just down from Columbia boat dock. Never detected there but found a couple nice arrowheads in the lake when the water was low. One is speckled pink and white, only one of that color Ive ever found.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
We need the measurements in inches. Calibers are in inches, and if you want to know exactly what bullet is, speaking for myself, at least I would have to have the bullet measured in 100ths of an inch. Example, 45 caliber is .45 100ths of an inch. The bullets for my .45-70 are sized to .457 before I reload them in the case. Perhaps there are folks on the net that are younger than me that can relate metric to inch. I can't.

Upvote 0

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dimensions are off, reference Lincoln cent diameter is 19.05 mm (0.75 inch).

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Chicagobulls567 wrote:
> The bullet on the left is 10 cm tall, with a diameter of 4 cm.
> The bullet on the right is 6 cm tall, with a diameter of 3 cm.

The US penny in the photo shows your measurements of the bullets are entirely incorrect. A penny's diameter is 19mm (1.9cm), which is approximately .75-inch (3/4-inch). A 10cm tall bullet is 2.5-inches tall, and a 6cm tall bullet is 1.5-inches tall... and neither of your bullets are that tall. Even if you meant to say millimeters instead of centimeters, that's still wrong, because a 10mm tall bullet is a little under 4/10ths-inch tall, and a 6mm bullet is a little under 1/4-inch tall. The penny shows neither of your bullets are that size.

Comparing your bullets' sizes with the penny, I'd estimate that the larger one is a .45-caliber to .50-caliber, and the smaller one is .22-caliber or .25-caliber.

Neither of your bullets is from the civil war era. The .22 or .25-caliber one appears to be a "copper-jacketed" bullet, and copper-jacketed .22 or .25-caliber bullets are strictly 20th-Century.

We'll need correct measurements of the larger bullet's diameter and length to ID it and tell whether it is from the latter-1800s or the 20th-Century.

By the way:
The smaller bullet shows multiple tiny parallel ridges inside its body-groove. That is called a "reeded groove" or "reeded cannelure" or "knurled cannelure." That did not exist on bullets until about 1880, so when you see multiple tiny parallel ridges in a bullet's body-groove, the bullet is from later than the civil war.

Attachments

• bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_photobyBebo_DSCN0245_855x642.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_photobyBebo_DSCN0245_855x642.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,076
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread