I found two bullets in NE, Ohio. Are they Civil War era bullets?

chicagobulls567

Aug 21, 2013
Berlin Center, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
001.JPG002.JPG

I found these bullets in my field in north east, Ohio.

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
The one on the left certainly looks promising, somebody on here like Cannonball guy will tell you for sure, but they are gonna want length and diameter...FYI. HH

Upvote 0
nice finds but they don't date to the civil war sorry. if you get exact measurements we would be able to help more

Upvote 0
I agree with recondigger they are modern .
I used to camp at Berlin when I was young, just down from Columbia boat dock. Never detected there but found a couple nice arrowheads in the lake when the water was low. One is speckled pink and white, only one of that color Ive ever found.

Upvote 0
We need the measurements in inches. Calibers are in inches, and if you want to know exactly what bullet is, speaking for myself, at least I would have to have the bullet measured in 100ths of an inch. Example, 45 caliber is .45 100ths of an inch. The bullets for my .45-70 are sized to .457 before I reload them in the case. Perhaps there are folks on the net that are younger than me that can relate metric to inch. I can't.

Upvote 0
Dimensions are off, reference Lincoln cent diameter is 19.05 mm (0.75 inch).

Upvote 0
Chicagobulls567 wrote:
> The bullet on the left is 10 cm tall, with a diameter of 4 cm.
> The bullet on the right is 6 cm tall, with a diameter of 3 cm.

The US penny in the photo shows your measurements of the bullets are entirely incorrect. A penny's diameter is 19mm (1.9cm), which is approximately .75-inch (3/4-inch). A 10cm tall bullet is 2.5-inches tall, and a 6cm tall bullet is 1.5-inches tall... and neither of your bullets are that tall. Even if you meant to say millimeters instead of centimeters, that's still wrong, because a 10mm tall bullet is a little under 4/10ths-inch tall, and a 6mm bullet is a little under 1/4-inch tall. The penny shows neither of your bullets are that size.

Comparing your bullets' sizes with the penny, I'd estimate that the larger one is a .45-caliber to .50-caliber, and the smaller one is .22-caliber or .25-caliber.

Neither of your bullets is from the civil war era. The .22 or .25-caliber one appears to be a "copper-jacketed" bullet, and copper-jacketed .22 or .25-caliber bullets are strictly 20th-Century.

We'll need correct measurements of the larger bullet's diameter and length to ID it and tell whether it is from the latter-1800s or the 20th-Century.

By the way:
The smaller bullet shows multiple tiny parallel ridges inside its body-groove. That is called a "reeded groove" or "reeded cannelure" or "knurled cannelure." That did not exist on bullets until about 1880, so when you see multiple tiny parallel ridges in a bullet's body-groove, the bullet is from later than the civil war.

Attachments

• bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_photobyBebo_DSCN0245_855x642.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_photobyBebo_DSCN0245_855x642.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,079
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back